Macro Lens Vs Zoom Lens (Focus Zone) Sorry i not sure how to describe but take a look

m32t8103

Jan 27, 2012
Cave
I don't know how to start my topic here haha, well i try to shoot out a Christmas Tree inside Ngee Ann City. I take a shot of my girl friend using Sigma 30mm F/2.8 and SEL1855 using NEX-7. I tried the same shutter speed/ aperture, Range set to 30mm and 30+/-mm . but the background is blur.. i cant focus both my GF face and the Christmas tree.. is it because of the lens? or the setting? my GF is about 160cm tall and the tree is 3 level Tall... she stand like 30mm can see the whole body... while she is about 3-5m away from the Christmas tree.

Apologies for that i cannot describe it well

You mentioned your GF is 3-5m away from the tree and you are shooting at wide aperture (f/2.8), that's the reason why you can't get both objects in focus. You may want to use a smaller aperture (f/8.0 for example) and you should see the tree is in focus. Alternatively, ask your GF to stand closer to the tree if you want to retain f/2.8.

You mentioned your GF is 3-5m away from the tree and you are shooting at wide aperture (f/2.8), that's the reason why you can't get both objects in focus. You may want to use a smaller aperture (f/8.0 for example) and you should see the tree is in focus. Alternatively, ask your GF to stand closer to the tree if you want to retain f/2.8.

The tree is quite tall, but at least i know it's aperture the problem... i will try again when i visit there, do you think the lens also will be one of the problem?

It's not really a "problem" per se. I would say it's basic photography. If you haven't already done so, I recommend reading up on Aperture to know more how they affect the outcome. I don't think your lens is problematic. Give it another try.

TS... it is most likely the aperture value when you shoot. Like what was advised, do step down your aperture value (doesn't need to be f8, but you need to do some trial and error.)

The basic rule here is, the smaller your aperture is, more area will be in focus. Do read up on Depth of Field (DOF). (Understanding Depth of Field in Photography), it will help you alot.

Also, please be aware that if you step down your aperture and maintain your ISO value, then your shutter speed will most definitely be lowered... this might cause some motion blur (depending on how stable you can hold your camera and shoot). So, there will be a couple of things you can do.

1) Rise your ISO value, so that the shutter speed can be maintained or you can achieve a speed that you are comfortable with.
2) Shoot in good lighting.
3) Flash (this can be difficult especially when the tree is pretty large).
4) use a monopod or tripod.