mac users vs pc users

mac or pc?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sheesh, games, games, games....don't you kids got nothing better to do with the comp except to play games?:)

Its a long time ( prob 10 yrs or more) since pple call me a "kid".....i hear also abit "song"......being a kid is good as least lesser things to worry abt.......

Its a long time ( prob 10 yrs or more) since pple call me a "kid".....i hear also abit "song"......being a kid is good as least lesser things to worry abt.......

Ah....now I know why you call yourself Teegongkia, meaning Act Blur Kid right?:)

Now, u make me feel so deprived during my childhood....:cry:

You got no life....;p

Further to that...get use to seeing changes lah...time to abandon the old ways you are use to see around you. In just another 10 yrs you will be seeing also people in their 50s or 60s singing rap songs...from Two Live Crew. heheh See old people so comfortable around IT stuffs unlike now...etc. growing older gets more interest as each generation takes over from the old.

Further to that...get use to seeing changes lah...time to abandon the old ways you are use to see around you. In just another 10 yrs you will be seeing also people in their 50s or 60s singing rap songs...from Two Live Crew. heheh See old people so comfortable around IT stuffs unlike now...etc. growing older gets more interest as each generation takes over from the old.

You are right la, but I just cannot fathom people getting obssessed and addicted to games la, especially when you are a parent, and your kids may get carried away and neglect their school work. I guess a little of it is alright, and my son and I do enjoy a game or 2 on the computer, but thank God we get bored easily with these games.

It just seems to me that when people buy a PC nowadays, the very first thing they'd like to know, is whether it "can game or not"? Shouldn't it be for work primarily and the occasional games?

I'm trying to tune myself to the present generation too, otherwise I'll become an old foggy soon....:)

You are right la, but I just cannot fathom people getting obssessed and addicted to games la, especially when you are a parent, and your kids may get carried away and neglect their school work. I guess a little of it is alright, and my son and I do enjoy a game or 2 on the computer, but thank God we get bored easily with these games.

It just seems to me that when people buy a PC nowadays, the very first thing they'd like to know, is whether it "can game or not"? Shouldn't it be for work primarily and the occasional games?

I'm trying to tune myself to the present generation too, otherwise I'll become an old foggy soon....:)

this is because normally when we wanted to buy laptop, and we went to check out the specs of different brands of laptop. I discovered that the specs from different brands are roughly the same if we wish to get a high end one...so the difference in price normally lies on the graphics card or sound card (or LCD size).....Good graphics card + sound card = better for gaming......

If can use it for gaming, other designs programs shld not be an issue.....

Opinion from Tee Gong kia.....

the reason why professionals in the industry choose Mac systems for their design/digital imaging/video work is because of the stability and efficiency of the way Mac OS interacts with the hardware.

even on a top end windows-run pc, sooner or later you'll find the programs start to crawl as the work gets more progressive. also, you will be bogged down with all sorts of maintenance before getting any real work done (eg scans, defrags).

so and and so forth.

Let me put it this way...for the past ten years I have been a cranky long time converter of people to learn IT skills and learn to use the computer at a level that is more then just basic. I used to be the butt of alot of my friends joke...most are not laughing now. You want to know how I help those who are willing to change? I get them hook to games. If there was anything to help them get over the fear of learning to us a computer. I thougth them by using gaming as the means to teaching them things like installig games ( which is the same as learning to install program) I teach them about some hardware stuff and how to tune them or configure them like video or sound. Progressively I move them on to online and even networking as in play some basis LAN games.. from those basic fundemental...I move them up to office softwares and other productive stuff and also they now know how to solve pretty intermediate problems with their systems without having to bother me! Games like all other programs share the same basic stuff and more..it is not the end solution and I am not saying it will work for everyone epsecially ifyou are not going to be there to walk them through the teething periods but once you do...it is rewarding to see them use their system efficiently. And not everyone of them kept playing games.

Gamers are die hard lot who just like to game...whatever the age. Playing with your kid and even playing more then your kid is not difference nor a problem if you can use it to show them that you can still game responsibly, take time off for studying and other leisure stuff too. heh. I have not always been a gamer 24/7 leh...I had took 10 yrs off playing tennis, seasport, golf, mountain biking, partying from one disco to anothe pub,chasing skirts, wine dine and had the time of my life...I am bored with that now...maybe it is the age thing too like you...hehe..to me I want to kick back and get inside my own head and just game when I can afford the time these day. It's what I need man...I am a workaholic the other half of the time heheheh. Singapore is getting boring even for an old guy like me...gaming like simulations stuff are great..and I feel even more crucial as you age now...you got to keep your mind working just like you would your muscle. Anyhoo..that is why I prefer my PCs heheh...I got more options with my games and alot more programs I could choose to use lah when we get back to the topic at hand heheh.. I am thinking of getting a Mac Book Pro...but it would be more a decorative showpiece then work. An overpriced DVD & MP3player? heheh But it will not replace my PCs in my more establised areas of work and interest. Photoshop CS3 and a whole slew of CS3 s/w on my PC works just fine so far for all my design stuff at the office.

Gamers are die hard lot who just like to game...whatever the age. Playing with your kid and even playing more then your kid is not difference nor a problem if you can use it to show them that you can still game responsibly, take time off for studying and other leisure stuff too. heh. I have not always been a gamer 24/7 leh...I had took 10 yrs off playing tennis, seasport, golf, mountain biking, partying from one disco to anothe pub,chasing skirts, wine dine and had the time of my life...I am bored with that now...maybe it is the age thing too like you...hehe..to me I want to kick back and get inside my own head and just game when I can afford the time these day. It's what I need man...I am a workaholic the other half of the time heheheh. Singapore is getting boring even for an old guy like me...gaming like simulations stuff are great..and I feel even more crucial as you age now...you got to keep your mind working just like you would your muscle. Anyhoo..that is why I prefer my PCs heheh...I got more options with my games and alot more programs I could choose to use lah when we get back to the topic at hand heheh.. I am thinking of getting a Mac Book Pro...but it would be more a decorative showpiece then work. An overpriced DVD & MP3player? heheh But it will not replace my PCs in my more establised areas of work and interest. Photoshop CS3 and a whole slew of CS3 s/w on my PC works just fine so far for all my design stuff at the office.

I've seen the dangers of a hardcore gamer....my 5 yr old nephew is one, and he took after his dad, and he now plays computer games almost round the clock, even in the car, he'll be using his handheld PSP.

As for Mac being a overpriced DVD and MP3 player, I think I've got to disagree, because I've hardly use my Mac for these purposes, except to stream podcast into my iPod. You may call me boring, but I don't really listen to music and have time to watch TV or DVDs these days.

I use my Mac for just about everything: my photoediting, websurfing, word processing, spreadsheet, emails, my appt scheduling, address book, etc. It is not just a computer anymore, it becomes a lifestyle, and I'm sure mac users will agree, but pc users will not see as that, till they've got to use one. My wife can attest to that. She hated computers while she's working, and she never want to touch one at home, even though I've got at least 5 macs at home at any given time. Now that she's retired and being forced to use a Mac, she can't do without one. It is not what the mac can do that pc can't, but the interface that comes with it and the associate 'coolness' of one.

Photoshop? I've been using that since Photoshop 1.0 on the Mac in the early 90s, when scanners and dye sublimation printers cost a bomb.:) These 'toys' were unheard of to the average pc users back then....

Photoshop? I've been using that since Photoshop 1.0 on the Mac in the early 90s, when scanners and dye sublimation printers cost a bomb.:) These 'toys' were unheard of to the average pc users back then....

hahahah that brought back memories man..... I remember my first Apple the IIFX..I remember when I bought it to do animation and graphic work and it had graphic cards like NuVista, running at 40mhz mother board, ram and HDD cost more then a bomb man.. You know how much I fork out to get one unit. The basic unit was SDG$13,500. After I throw in the animation and other graphic s/w it came to about SDG$32,000! *faint* man.

Well I can understand folk like the MAc for ever ever the reason may be but I am a true blue "tweaker" the PC gives me that option alot more then a Mac that was why I sold off my iMac. But well..to each their own...the important thing I guess is that you do USE IT ..ultimately that is the key to pay or investing in a computer.

hahahah that brought back memories man..... I remember my first Apple the FX..I remember when I bought it to do animation and graphic work and it had graphic cards like NuVista and that time a few hundren mb HDD cost more then a bomb man.. You know how much I fork out to get one unit. The basic unit was SDG$13,500. After I throw in the animation and other graphic s/w it came to about SDG$32,000! *faint* man.

Well I can understand folk like the MAc for ever ever the reason may be but I am a true blue "tweaker" the PC gives me that option alot more then a Mac that was why I sold off my iMac. But well..to each their own...the important thing I guess is that you do USE IT ..ultimately that is the key to pay or investing in a computer.

Yup, that's how much a IIFX cost then...at that time I owned a SE30 and a IICX....:)

The Mac, unfortunately, is not as upgradable as a PC, and for people who loves to tweak their hardware, I'm sure the Mac is not their choice of a computer.

For me, i'm a techno idiot, so the Mac suits me just fine. I'm the kind who loves minimum fuss la. Heck, when I got my first car, I don't even know that I need to rotate tires every 10K, the battery water needs to be topped up, and that tires need to be pumped to maintain tire pressure!:eek: Even till today, I'll just change my car every 3 yrs, get the car agent to take my old car and replace with it with the same make.:)

:bigeyes::bigeyes::bigeyes: wahsay! heheh

Aiyo, nothing to shout about la, I'm just driving a Nissan Sunny. I don't really care or know much about cars, so I drove what my buddy recommended lor. My wife think so too, as I don't really take care of m cars, unlike many other man.:)

somebody accidently opened all his applications on his Mac, running at the same time! (check out the Dock!)

click here to view

Windows would probably have crashed long time ago

This morning at work I can't render an image because it says memory not enough.
I know it's enough at 2gb. Windows OS doesn't know. Frustrating.

this is mine :embrass: 20" iMac, intel c2d 2.16ghz, 2gb memory

screenoh0.jpg

unfortunately that forum is very slow moving nowadays.

HWZ's Apple Clinic is much more vibrant and helpful compared to MUGS, imho

sorry if i've offended anybody

Well, unequivocally you have spoken what I believe to be the ugly truth.

MacRumors' forums move way too fast, as the largest (over 100,000 registered members) Mac forums in the world but we have quite a few knowledgeable members along with too many fanatics. As a moderator there, I end up cleaning up too much useless stuff but it's part of the job.

I think we end up solving more functional problems than Apple do. We let them concentrate on their software development. :bsmilie:

It's amazing to me how many people have switched from Windows in the last 1.5 years since Apple started offering Intel-based machines and how many people joined just for the iPhone in the last 2+ months.

Status
Not open for further replies.