M9 and Sandisk Ultra 32GB SDHC (Class 4 15MB/s)

madmacs

Dec 13, 2002
madmacs.multiply.com
anyone using this combo? how long it takes to write a DNG to the 32GB card. on mine it took about 12-13 seconds. when i switched to a sandisk ultra II 8GB SDHC (also class 4 15MB/s) it only took about 7 seconds.

the problem is after i took a few shots i switched off the cam, forgetting that the write had not yet completed. when i switched on the cam, nothing happened...no led display in the viewfinder. i took out the battery to reset and later found that i lost 3 images. i did not encounter the same problem with the 8GB card.

i'm curious to know if the slow write is due to a faulty card or because it is large capacity. anyway i have already returned the card and got a sandisk extreme 16GB SDHC.

I tried using a 32GB mem card. Take ages.

Changed to a 4GB, and its a lot faster. Just my experience.

thanks for your input. so it looks like the slow writes could be due to the high capacity card.

Hi Madmac,

I think its the capacity. I have also have a sandisk 32GB, long before i got a dslr. when i finally got my 550D, i thought it would be great to have it on the cam but i encountered the same slowness...

Hi Madmac,

I think its the capacity. I have also have a sandisk 32GB, long before i got a dslr. when i finally got my 550D, i thought it would be great to have it on the cam but i encountered the same slowness...

thanks. i thought i had a faulty card. the shop was kind enough to take back the card and let me choose a faster but lower capacity card. i don't mind if the card was slightly slower but half the write speed of the lower capacity card is not acceptable for me.

Format the card with the camera before you use it, that is very important.

The M9 card reader/writer is not really all that fast and faster cards (Extreme and up) don't really make a difference.

Also the capacity of the card should not make a difference in read or write speeds if compared to cards in the same class.

Lastly, Sandisk in the last year rebranded their cards, I think they did away with the Ultra 1 and 2, they are just Ultra and Extreme 1, 2, 3, 4, they are just Extreme and Extreme Pro.

Last edited:
Format the card with the camera before you use it, that is very important.

The M9 card reader/writer is not really all that fast and faster cards (Extreme and up) don't really make a difference.

Also the capacity of the card should not make a difference in read or write speeds if compared to cards in the same class.

Lastly, Sandisk in the last year rebranded their cards, I think they did away with the Ultra 1 and 2, they are just Ultra and Extreme 1, 2, 3, 4, they are just Extreme and Extreme Pro.

i always format the card in the camera. so it's either the capacity or a faulty card.

thanks for the info on sandisk rebranding. i learnt something today :D

Last edited:
I think it is a worthy practice to use smaller capacity cards anyways. A professional photographer recommended this as part of his overall workflow. He rather take 4 x 2gb card than 1 x 8gb card. If you encounter a faulty card or have any problems, you are limiting the "damage" to just one card. Of course it may be more troublesome for some and in certain cases (sports), it may not be practical.

use class 10 30MB/s transfer rate. Sandisk Extreme. 8GB or 16GB
i find them to be optimum on M9

1 file (Raw + Jpeg) is close to 50 MB I think