LX3 Users Discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes you're right, when shooting 16:9 there's black cropping. But the LCD is already huge, no big loss of view. I had no problems whatsoever.
For the LX-3 display is 3:2 but the CCD remains 16:9.
So when you select 16:9 format then the LCD display have black cropping top & bottom?
I'm use to taking the full 16:9 format & wonder whether the LCD display image becomes smaller.

Wow.. Buying a cabinet just for a PnS camera is a bit of overkill isn't it? But it's practical if you have other accessories as well..

Seems to me some LX3 units suffer from lens softness. Am wondering it is an issue with all cameras OR just with some cameras.

Is anyone here having doubts about lens not being as sharp. All Leica lens which I have used earlier have been razor sharp, but many of the LX3 images I see from different owners suffer from apparent lens softness.

I suggest some LX3 owners meet up and compare their cameras at identical settings to become sure of this issue. What say you guys?

Seems to me some LX3 units suffer from lens softness. Am wondering it is an issue with all cameras OR just with some cameras.

Is anyone here having doubts about lens not being as sharp. All Leica lens which I have used earlier have been razor sharp, but many of the LX3 images I see from different owners suffer from apparent lens softness.

I suggest some LX3 owners meet up and compare their cameras at identical settings to become sure of this issue. What say you guys?

ummm... got samples or not... for me... I find my cam's ok leh.

However, I strongly recommend to turn down the NR.

ummm... got samples or not... for me... I find my cam's ok leh.

However, I strongly recommend to turn down the NR.

Mine's fine as well.

In fact I've got the sharpness and NR down to -2, and it's still plenty sharp.

Mine's fine as well.

In fact I've got the sharpness and NR down to -2, and it's still plenty sharp.

Same here... but so far only tried on the STD flim thingy... hav you tried others?

Same here... but so far only tried on the STD flim thingy... hav you tried others?

Heh, don't worry about the rest - dynamic increases contrast and saturation, natural decreases contrast and saturation, smooth decreases contrast and saturation further, vibrant really pumps up the saturation, nostalgic is very low contrast and saturation, and the black and whites are off differing contrast and saturation as well.

So basically they are all contrast and saturation tweaks, only useful if you're not planning on post processing.

Thanks guys! I will try to point out some of the softer images I see here and we can analyze further. Nice post regarding in-camera tweaking!

Hi folks,

Just to share, I bought a Lowepro D-Pods 40, fits the cam quite snugly = a good fit.

41DdNCrArkL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

i m using rezo 50

L10855564.jpg

Guys I'm may get the LX3 to replace my Fuji F30. Fuji-to-LX3 converts....does the LX3 on ISO640 and f/2 give similar results as the F31 at ISO800 & F/2.8, in terms of high iso noise comparison??
How does it stack up against the F100fd?

Last edited:
Guys I'm may get the LX3 to replace my Fuji F30. Fuji-to-LX3 converts....does the LX3 on ISO640 and f/2 give similar results as the F31 at ISO800 & F/2.8, in terms of high iso noise comparison??

I own both the F31D and LX3. At higher ISO, I still find that the F31D has less noise and give better pictures. However at low ISO, the LX3 seems slightly better than F31D.

Don't think you can get ISO640, the manual selection is either 400 or 800. The LX3 is noisier than the F31 at 800, but both cameras record good detail. If you don't print big, the LX3 is OK at 800. See for yourself in my earlier comparison post.

Oh, must add that though the LX3 produces scratchy-looking artifacts at 800 & 1600, it's better than their old 'Venus' engines. I remember how the Panny reviews always showed high-ISO detail loss. And the LX3 has 9+MP compared to the F31's 6MP, so it may gain some advantage comparing print size rather than per pixel.

I'd say, if you have no DSLR, you can't go wrong with either one. (I prefer the LX3 as you can check the histogram (review one, not live one) and also adjust sharpening, NR etc., even MF when AF fails)

Last edited:
Don't think you can get ISO640, the manual selection is either 400 or 800. The LX3 is noisier than the F31 at 800, but both cameras record good detail. If you don't print big, the LX3 is OK at 800. See for yourself in my earlier comparison post.

Oh, must add that though the LX3 produces scratchy-looking artifacts at 800 & 1600, it's better than their old 'Venus' engines. I remember how the Panny reviews always showed high-ISO detail loss. And the LX3 has 9+MP compared to the F31's 6MP, so it may gain some advantage comparing print size rather than per pixel.

I'd say, if you have no DSLR, you can't go wrong with either one. (I prefer the LX3 as you can check the histogram (review one, not live one) and also adjust sharpening, NR etc., even MF when AF fails)

Thanks!! I've seen your comparison.... & I am now a proud owner of the LX3!! Wooots! ;) Got mine from Alan Photo with a friend. This baby is really the closest I have seen to a DSLR coming from a P&S camera. Rocksteady! As u mentioned.. the ISO800 looks a little more scratchy than the F30...but the level of details captured is something the F30 could not do, even though its ISO800 is cleaner. Oh yeah... I'm using a D70s right now, and its noise at ISO800 is pretty much on par with the LX3, so not so much of an issue for me. :) I'm really loving it right now. Now my problem is to find a nice suitable camera case for the LX3....

Thanks!! I've seen your comparison.... & I am now a proud owner of the LX3!! Wooots! ;) Got mine from Alan Photo with a friend. This baby is really the closest I have seen to a DSLR coming from a P&S camera. Rocksteady! As u mentioned.. the ISO800 looks a little more scratchy than the F30...but the level of details captured is something the F30 could not do, even though its ISO800 is cleaner. Oh yeah... I'm using a D70s right now, and its noise at ISO800 is pretty much on par with the LX3, so not so much of an issue for me. :) I'm really loving it right now. Now my problem is to find a nice suitable camera case for the LX3....

turn down the sharpening. And you'll see quite a bit of improvement in your ISO 800 pics. :)

congrats! agreed, old d70s is quite noisy at 800. ditto cyrn's advice about sharpening

Hey All i think i might have adjusted some settings wrongly..now my manual exposure mode takes pictures and all turn out to be just white and nthg else..what shld i do?

Hey All i think i might have adjusted some settings wrongly..now my manual exposure mode takes pictures and all turn out to be just white and nthg else..what shld i do?

just dial down the exposure, reduce either the aperture, shutter speed or ISO values..

just dial down the exposure, reduce either the aperture, shutter speed or ISO values..

oh thanks..erh may i know which mode u guys prefer to use?

oh thanks..erh may i know which mode u guys prefer to use?

I find myself using both Aperture & Shutter Priority mode quite often....even if the shutter speed is set to say 1/5 or below..the OIS does a great job of reducing camera shake...resulting in pretty sharp images even at night :D

Status
Not open for further replies.