LX3 Users Discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm loving every seconds i have with my LX3!
Not only it's a beauty in the outside, it's a beauty in what it can do.:)

2852143945_b2902faee1.jpg

The LX-3 has full functionality with the Olympus FL-50R, other than wireless triggering.

Hi, I notice that the display numbers on the LCD has visible lines, example the the Date and the numbers of shot , the lines are easily spotted in the "00" , is this normal for every set?

Some comparison shots: LX3 and F31

Soft toy at ISO 800. LX3 retains better detail, noisy but sharp (F31 has no OIS, not sure if it's camera shake here).

F1! Macro at ISO 800. F31 is much smoother. LX3 noisy but sharp as usual.

Night shot at ISO 800. Both cameras are smudging the floor tiles badly.

Night shot at ISO 1600. With superior 9MP, the LX3 doesn't give much more than the F31 IMO. Both cameras can resolve the yellow numbers at the top (though the LX3 has smudged the number 3).

Some comparison shots: LX3 and F31

Excellent comparison... FD31 still have better output @ ISO800 when not pushed.

I'm curious why the FD31 pics have more DOF?:dunno: Especially on the model car shot.

Another comparison that may surprise you (it surprised me): LX3 vs ixus 850IS

ISO200

ISO 400

ISO 800

ISO 1600

The 850IS actually produces cleaner, detailed output up to ISO 400. At 800 I think it's personal preference (I prefer the ixus to the oversharpened Lumix). At 1600 the Lumix is more usable I think, the ixus being too smudged.

Of course there's more to it than this: the 16:9, control layout, f/2 lens, OIS, custom settings, hotshoe etc. make the LX3 a very good compact overall. But looking at these image crops, I would say the ixus and F31 remain quite competent in terms of output. I would try turning down the sharpening on the LX3.

I also noticed that the live histogram and the recorded one don't tally. On focus lock, the exposure sometimes seems OK but the review histogram is darker.

The LCD is also deceptive. I've turned it down to -3 but images are still brighter and too saturated (especially red) than viewed on my laptop. What looked like red sunburn turned out to be good AWB after all.

Excellent comparison... FD31 still have better output @ ISO800 when not pushed.

I'm curious why the FD31 pics have more DOF?:dunno: Especially on the model car shot.
Er, both shots taken handheld with the cameras' AF not being that responsive or predictable in macro mode. The LX3 has focused on Shell and Vodafone, while the F31fd has focused on the 1 and Shell. Not a scientific test!

Anyway, I'm inclined to think that when using higher ISOs, you have to try to nail the correct exposure, as lifting the shadows may bring out the noise too much.

Anyway, I'm inclined to think that when using higher ISOs, you have to try to nail the correct exposure, as lifting the shadows may bring out the noise too much.

Try setting your LX3 sharpening to -2, NR to +1 and contrast to -1. +0.3EV exposure compensation.

You should get similar performance to FD31 and 850. :think::think:

I've noticed that the LX3 metering is able to determine a night scene and set exposure accordingly... however, it tends to do under by 1/3 or 2/3 ev... must intervene and set EV compensation to counter the metering to minimize noise.

Hi guys!

i am having this problem.... most of the pics i taken looks damn good and bright on the LX3 LCD but back on my Home PC and Laptop they are a bit "gloomy" :dunno:

the problem is quite bad when i tried taking landscape images with the sky :dunno:

i think i need to set 1/3 e to counter this problem.. anyone has similar comment?

Hi guys!

i am having this problem.... most of the pics i taken looks damn good and bright on the LX3 LCD but back on my Home PC and Laptop they are a bit "gloomy" :dunno:

the problem is quite bad when i tried taking landscape images with the sky :dunno:

i think i need to set 1/3 e to counter this problem.. anyone has similar comment?

you can't judge the pic from the LCD, at least you have to read the histogram.

Hi guys!

Yeah, see my comment on the LCD above...

Hi Guys!

Looking for advise from LX-3 upgraders from LX-2.
I'm a LX-2 user so I'm use to the 16:9 CCD & LCD display.

For the LX-3 display is 3:2 but the CCD remains 16:9.
So when you select 16:9 format then the LCD display have black cropping top & bottom?

I'm use to taking the full 16:9 format & wonder whether the LCD display image becomes smaller.
Thanks!

The LX-3 has full functionality with the Olympus FL-50R, other than wireless triggering.

I wish the wireless triggering works, even with the smaller FL-36R mounted it's awkward! But it does make people laugh when u walk around with the flash mounted on a compact :D

372712198_zUsp5-M.jpg

As for me, i'm using a Crumpler Rip Snorter for it. It fits and protects my LX3 well and can also hold the extra battery and memory card.

Status
Not open for further replies.