LX2 going to ROCK...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some initial assessment:

Basically the same cam as the LX1 with minor improvement.

Writing / reading files speed is slower than LX1 due to the larger file size, especially for RAW shooter.

Not much diff from LX1 at ISO 100. For Higher ISO, LX2 is certainly better in terms of noise control.

Can't really compare the IQ yet. Although it comes with the Silkypix for RAW files conversion, I'll wait for Abode RAW to do a side by side comparison between the files from LX1 and LX2.

So overall, not really a MUST upgrade for LX1 users unless u wanna shoot at ISO 200 or ISO 400 (I wouldn't wanna go any higher). May even set u off worse cos of slower speed and less files u can get out of your SD card.

For those first time buyer, both LX1 and LX2 are good buy. Main consideration for me will be the price and if u prefer to shoot at higher ISO.

SilkyPix is a much better raw converter than ACR from my experience. It is great that Panasonic now bundle a full featured SilkyPix with their new cameras. I am just wondering if the bundled version will process the raw files from other camera brands or is it limited only to Panasonic cameras.

Here's a full res from the RAW file without modificaiton:

P1000066a.jpg

That looked rather noisy and soft with quite a bit of lens blur as well. Hopefully that's not taken at ISO 100. :what:
Such problems are seldom if ever the fault of the raw converter though.
Can you also process your Sony R1 raw files with the SilkyPix by the way?

tomcat said:
That looked rather noisy and soft with quite a bit of lens blur as well. Hopefully that's not taken at ISO 100. :what:
Such problems are seldom if ever the fault of the raw converter though.
Can you also process your Sony R1 raw files with the SilkyPix by the way?

Pic is taken at ISO 100. Blur is probably due to moving subject and focusing is off on the boy.

What's i've noticed is that the LX2 has some very noticiable purple fringes.

Silkypix is an SE edition which can only process LX2, FZ50 and L1 RAW files.

hot off the press with LX2:

001.jpg

weekh said:
hot off the press with LX2:

001.jpg

Is it just me or does the picture look a tad soft? It reminds me of pictures taken using the S602. Right down to the occurence of CA.... :sweat:

No offense intended pls. Just really curious to find out... :sweat:

Wolfgang said:
Is it just me or does the picture look a tad soft? It reminds me of pictures taken using the S602. Right down to the occurence of CA.... :sweat:

No offense intended pls. Just really curious to find out... :sweat:

I think I have accidentially left the focus to macro mode... :embrass:

Will post some solid pixs tonite from the Big Bike Fest.

weekh said:
I think I have accidentially left the focus to macro mode... :embrass:

:bsmilie: Oh ok... Sigh, i'm getting oh so tempted.... If it isnt any trouble, I do hope that you will be able to post some shots to demostrate it's clarity (or lack thereof). I know there are already some online but i much rather trust you and than some website.

I know another gentlemen put in considerable effort to show the difference between the different ISOs here and that deserves kudos... :thumbsup:

hi weekh, recommend u start a new thread for LX2 pics...cleaner this way than continuing in this 'dated' thread. :D

looking forward to ur pics!!! :thumbsup:

Edited: I can recommend this COZ I happen to be the TS!!!! So no one is hurt, if any...

How come LX1 when launched so expensive, then this LX2 only $600++, cheap when compared to the price of this LX2.

All things will become more and more affordable when technology advances. Same like the Canon D30 was so expensive when first launched, now 30D can be bought at S$2200++

Think LX3 will be cheaper in the future too.

Unfortunately these are essentially daylight cameras.... practically useless when used in the evening or night without a tripod even with OIS. Took one along for holiday overseas and not one handheld shots taken under low light conditions eg. sunset and night in brightly lit city lighting, was useable. :(

Moonstone said:
All things will become more and more affordable when technology advances. Same like the Canon D30 was so expensive when first launched, now 30D can be bought at S$2200++

Think LX3 will be cheaper in the future too.
:bsmilie: then how? muz wait for lx3 for cheaper??????

i am a noob. wanted to find a pana camera as my first. think of lx2 lah. as been through the thread by weekh..

cheers

tomcat said:
Unfortunately these are essentially daylight cameras.... practically useless when used in the evening or night without a tripod even with OIS. Took one along for holiday overseas and not one handheld shots taken under low light conditions eg. sunset and night in brightly lit city lighting, was useable. :(
f camp is calling u then...;p

tomcat said:

Unfortunately even Fuji has not produced a cam with ISO 12,800 and sensor as noiseless as ISO 100 yet.

Even so, it still cannot let me handheld a cam to produce traffic /star trail for prolong exposure.

Forturnately a simply tripod will or a cam support will solve the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.