LTA seeking feedback on COE

Feedback to get more ideas to "milk"

COE CAT F: Bicycle with wheel size 16" and above
COE CAT G: Bicycle with wheel size 16" and below
COE CAT H: Open-others including wheel chair, baby stroller and skate board

Last edited:
After feedback they will say general feedback says increase the price is better.

Sometimes I wonder if feedback by general public are considered. As a layman, most people I spoke too and from radio talk say dealer must not be allowed to bid on behalf of buyers. They are the ones bringing up COE prices. In fact, the COE is a better biz model then selling cars.

I wonder where all the COE and ERP monies gone to? Today our public transport is still like that.

Sometimes I wonder if feedback by general public are considered. As a layman, most people I spoke too and from radio talk say dealer must not be allowed to bid on behalf of buyers. They are the ones bringing up COE prices. In fact, the COE is a better biz model then selling cars. I wonder where all the COE and ERP monies gone to? Today our public transport is still like that.

Car sellers can simply bypass that. They just ask for your particulars and bid on your behalf with the assurance "we know the game, we will get it for you. For your part, you just pay a lump sum for the car. Don't need to pull your hair about how much to bid."

Alternatively they tell you: "ok 15mins before bid close, we SMS you and tell you the exact amount to bid. Follow our instruction, guarantee can get your car. Again, you pay a lump sum."

Last edited:
I wonder where all the COE and ERP monies gone to? Today our public transport is still like that.
It is common across most nations to name taxes always according the source, not the later usage. Road tax is collected from road users, but that doesn't mean it's used for roads. It would take a while for all road users to pay off the MCE, even with ERP included.

It is common across most nations to name taxes always according the source, not the later usage. Road tax is collected from road users, but that doesn't mean it's used for roads. It would take a while for all road users to pay off the MCE, even with ERP included.

They should keep mce closed until fully paid. How can let it be used without full payment!

They should keep mce closed until fully paid. How can let it be used without full payment!

Sorry, I can't catch the logic in this one. I think there is a contract between gov (the owner) and the builder governing when will the owner pay up for the work done. At the mean time, while the road is already there, why not use it?

Does this also mean one can't watch the 80" TV until the installment is fully paid off? Or can't drive till car loan is fully served or worse, can't live in HDB until hse loan is fully paid.

Sorry, I can't catch the logic in this one. I think there is a contract between gov (the owner) and the builder governing when will the owner pay up for the work done. At the mean time, while the road is already there, why not use it?
Does this also mean one can't watch the 80" TV until the installment is fully paid off? Or can't drive till car loan is fully served or worse, can't live in HDB until hse loan is fully paid.
Does the word 'irony' have any meaning to you? And no, it's nothing about any metal ..

Car sellers can simply bypass that. They just ask for your particulars and bid on your behalf with the assurance "we know the game, we will get it for you. For your part, you just pay a lump sum for the car. Don't need to pull your hair about how much to bid." Alternatively they tell you: "ok 15mins before bid close, we SMS you and tell you the exact amount to bid. Follow our instruction, guarantee can get your car. Again, you pay a lump sum."

True, there will always be ways to beat the rules but the fact now is that dealers are controlling what was meant as a tool to mitigate car ownership problem. They are buying up the COE in then selling them later. COE has to be register in the owner name. If he decides not to buy the car, then he has to return the COE not to transfer in the open market. Of course the return comes with a cost.

Sorry, I can't catch the logic in this one. I think there is a contract between gov (the owner) and the builder governing when will the owner pay up for the work done. At the mean time, while the road is already there, why not use it? Does this also mean one can't watch the 80" TV until the installment is fully paid off? Or can't drive till car loan is fully served or worse, can't live in HDB until hse loan is fully paid.

There's a reason this place is called KPT.

If they do not lose a few constituencies and feedback is that the cause is COE, then it will stay.

True, there will always be ways to beat the rules but the fact now is that dealers are controlling what was meant as a tool to mitigate car ownership problem. They are buying up the COE in then selling them later. COE has to be register in the owner name. If he decides not to buy the car, then he has to return the COE not to transfer in the open market. Of course the return comes with a cost.

Well, the fact is that demand simply exceeds supply - with an industry in the middle of the whole thing. So it is an allocation issue. And the ultimate question of "what is fair?" If cars are cheaper still, lots more people will want them. But the quota is the same - so how to allocate? Any form of allocation in which supply is scarce and there is money to be made will always favour the rich.

Last edited:
Well, the fact is that demand simply exceeds supply - with an industry in the middle of the whole thing. So it is an allocation issue. And the ultimate question of "what is fair?" If cars are cheaper still, lots more people will want them. But the quota is the same - so how to allocate? Any form of allocation in which supply is scarce and there is money to be made will always favour the rich.

Agree, this is a supply and demand issue. With limited land, cost will have to go up for those who wish to own car. However, the system should not allow others to profit from it. Ultimately public transport is the answer and I sincerely hope the authority will work on it.

Agree, this is a supply and demand issue. With limited land, cost will have to go up for those who wish to own car. However, the system should not allow others to profit from it. Ultimately public transport is the answer and I sincerely hope the authority will work on it.

Well, if the complain is about COE, then the ones technically profiteering from it is the people of Singapore coz that money goes into our national coffers. But yes, I agree with you that getting our public transport in order is very important and there have been mis-steps in this aspect.