LTA seeking feedback on COE

Bukitimah

Nov 28, 2010
Singapore
LTA is seeking for feedback on COE

LTA seeking public feedback on COE, car ownership schemes

Whether you own a car or not, the COE will affect you. I guess it is still better to register your view and try to get LTA to listen. Otherwise, they will claim nobody gives feedback.

Car Ownership is a luxury in my opinion except for public transport. So, all public transport should not be burden with COE. Taxi and goods vehicle will be track to ensure they are strictly for commercial use. Impose heavy fine for those who infringe this. It is very common to see them use as personal transport.

The current COE system works but unfortunately, it is transferable and it ends up a commodity for trade.Traders are doing a roaring business, better than selling cars. How did they make it this way? :thumbsd:

I am also not in favor of 2nd car owner has to pay more. A bigger family will always find a way to overcome this. Make this simple, you pay if you want to own a car, otherwise take public transport. No bidding of COE by others except the car owner AND the 50% down payment for the COE must be in CASH not banker guaranty. :angry:

It also helps to rethink the entire system. It might have been a good idea when introduced. But nothing lasts forever and 'good' and 'bad' is always a question of context.

If there is so many problem with "COE", just kill it.

Make it a Fixed "COE Tax" for new car based on:
1. Single or more than 1 car: 100% OMV
2. Married no kid : 75% OMV
3. Married with kids: 50% OMV
4. Stay with re-tired Parent : 50% OMV discount
5. Dis-abled 100% OMV discount

If there is so many problem with "COE", just kill it.

Make it a Fixed "COE Tax" for new car based on:
1. Single or more than 1 car: 100% OMV
2. Married no kid : 75% OMV
3. Married with kids: 50% OMV
4. Stay with re-tired Parent : 50% OMV discount
5. Dis-abled 100% OMV discount

Then when people get married or have a kid they will scream for a discount.

The whole point of COE is to limit the number of cars on the roads.

I agree with killing the COE. Kill the ERP as well. It has served its purpose of generating revenue for G-ment and does not really serve the purpose in controlling the population of cars on the road. I still see a lot of people driving their OPC during the day. Streamline car categories and remove OPC. Without complicating the system any further with rebates schemes, I suggest to reduce the subsidies on petrol prices. End of the day, actual usage of cars on the road is fuelled by petrol. So if a litre of petrol is $3, let's see if people still like the idea of driving their cars.

One can probably afford a new car without the COE but will still consider the need to drive it.
One can own 10 cars as a hobby but only drive one at any one time.

End of the day, it is about giving options to the people. You have to let people have the option to own a car. To use it or not is another thing.

Unfortunately, I believe G-ment is asking to help to re-categories the cars since engine size is no longer relevant as a measurement with the advanced in tech. It is not an overhaul of the system.

Last edited:
you know, i don't get it.

people are concerned about the white paper's 6.9 Million Population... because they're worried about the foreigners and some even specifically mentioned that our infrastructure isn't good enough or ready to handle that many people and the transportation problems it'll cause...

and yet... we want to allow more cars on the road?

i'm not sure that i see the benefits of education here.

owning a car in HK or Japan is actually very very cheap....

But if you hang out in downtown (Central or Kowloon in HK and Shinjuku or Ropponggi in Tokyo) in these major cities ..... TAKE AWAY the Buses, Public Transport, Taxis, Vans, Trucks and Lorrys.... you realize that there are actually VERY FEW private cars ...

Even in Sydney..... after I had to use my credit card to pay for barely 4hrs of parking, I stopped driving into Martin Place/Bond Street area

Hey guys, there must be a means to control the number of cars allowed on the road. You don't want to buy a car and be in a jam whenever you drive it out. So this is a fact of life we have to accept. Although the 2nd school of thought is to make driving expensive, that is you can own many cars but every time you drive them out, it cost $$$.

Either one, the equation is back to using cost as a control for the usage. So, the system must be simple and effective, just like everyone wants to own a house in district 9, how do you buy one?

If we are issuing COE, then this piece of paper must be registered with the rightful owner. It must bare the name of the car owner and not anybody else. if you sell your car, the COE is returned back to the government and pro-rated based on the used period. The COE is never meant to be $ generating machine, so what is wrong to refund what you have received? No selling to another party just the COE, you need to buy that car with the COE. NO buying of COE by dealers!!

The bigger problem with today congestion is actually the commercial vehicles on the road. Construction sites are at every corner and everywhere. Urbanization also meant commercial deliveries are happening in very congested town and roads leading to town centres. Every 10 vehicles on the road, 3 or more are commercial vehicles doing deliveries or ferrying passengers. Imagine a lorry carrying 2 passengers in the congested road and it take a few traffic light change to cross it due to slow pick up. It is also a danger to pedestrians.

To satisfy the aspiration of car ownership, commercial vehicles (other than public transport) will cost more to use during peak hours. You can do you deliveries during non peak hours. Just like 'Off Peak' cars. I have seen those huge container truck, less the 40 footer container used to ferry family to the market! Taxi used as private car for ferrying wife to market or buying breakfast for the family. With today COE price, it is cheaper to rent a taxi for private use and at the same time to earn some extra when you have the time? Hope some LTA big shots are reading CS. haha

Hey guys, there must be a means to control the number of cars allowed on the road. You don't want to buy a car and be in a jam whenever you drive it out.
Exactly. If SG drops all control measures and everybody can buy a car just like across the causeway then very soon SG will become South East Asia's largest inhabited car park.

yes, we must provide feedback.. at least this is what we can do..

perhaps we can list down the pro and cons of each proposal here? let me start first, although i admit i really have not much idea about COE.. so i guess more people can contribute.. and then the rest can read and provide feedback..

pls just make it short and sharp , in point form, as no one likes to read long essay nowadays..

Purpose: 1.To reduce number of cars

current bidding system
cons: 1. it has made car ownership an luxury 2. The govt is seen as profiting from it 3. The needy may not get to own a car
pros: I guess it should work in controlling the number of cars as the govt control the number of COE issues each year

yes, we must provide feedback.. at least this is what we can do..

perhaps we can list down the pro and cons of each proposal here? let me start first, although i admit i really have not much idea about COE.. so i guess more people can contribute.. and then the rest can read and provide feedback..

pls just make it short and sharp , in point form, as no one likes to read long essay nowadays..

Purpose: 1.To reduce number of cars

current bidding system
cons: 1. it has made car ownership an luxury 2. The govt is seen as profiting from it 3. The needy may not get to own a car
pros: I guess it should work in controlling the number of cars as the govt control the number of COE issues each year

not sure if my above post is relevant , as LTA is asking for views on

1. The definition of Cat A in the COE framework
2. Multiple car ownership

---------------------------

SURVEY on COE Categories and Multiple Car Ownership

Dear Sir/Madam,

The Land Transport Authority (LTA) is conducting a survey on the Certificate of Entitlement (COE) framework, from the perspective of social equitability.

COEs are allocated primarily by means of the market because it is the most appropriate way to allocate a limited but non-basic resource. Cars are not basic necessities, as we have a comprehensive public transport system and the Government is investing significantly to further expanding and improving it. However, for social equitability purposes, to give mass market car buyers a better chance against more well-off buyers in the COE bidding system, there are two COE categories (Cat) for passenger cars, Cat A and Cat B.

In conducting this survey, we recognise that due to our land constraints, it is not possible for everyone in Singapore to own a car. If COEs are made easier for one group to secure, another group will have less of an opportunity. Your views will help to shape the consensus on where this balance should lie. With this in mind, we would like to seek your views on two areas:

(A) The definition of Cat A in the COE framework

(B) Multiple car ownership

Please be assured that your responses will be kept strictly confidential.

This survey will take about 5-10 minutes of your time.

src: LTA Feedback Portal

I hardly go out. Furthermore, Singapore so small! Take public more than enough. Use the $ go oversea, buy new lenses and camera body better. Got car, still have to pay road tax, petrol etc.. What is the point of having one in the first place? (maybe for man, picking up girls?) haha!

already calculated .... if i took ONLY Taxi for EVERY trip ..... it would still be cheaper than owning a car

already calculated .... if i took ONLY Taxi for EVERY trip ..... it would still be cheaper than owning a car

Same here. No stress about finding parking, can drink beer too.

With recent technological advancements in augmentation for Global Navigation Satellite Systems (GNSSs). Perhaps can merge the COE, ERP and OPC schemes together? Thus for example, say a motorist driving to work in Lim Chu Kang during non-peak hours everyday will have to pay significantly less in the form of rebates as compared to someone driving into the downtown central area during peak hours everyday over a 10 years period?

I hardly go out. Furthermore, Singapore so small! Take public more than enough. Use the $ go oversea, buy new lenses and camera body better. Got car, still have to pay road tax, petrol etc.. What is the point of having one in the first place? (maybe for man, picking up girls?) haha!

U must be single and young ...

Pay what you bid for the COE and only no dealers.
--- This will ensure ppl dont simply put $100K just to secure a COE which the current system is encouraging.

The 2nd car ownership premium is totally BS. I can just register in my wife's name or my Maid. (for info, you dont need a driving licence to own a car)

Hey guys, there must be a means to control the number of cars allowed on the road. You don't want to buy a car and be in a jam whenever you drive it out. So this is a fact of life we have to accept. Although the 2nd school of thought is to make driving expensive, that is you can own many cars but every time you drive them out, it cost $$$.

Either one, the equation is back to using cost as a control for the usage. So, the system must be simple and effective, just like everyone wants to own a house in district 9, how do you buy one?

If we are issuing COE, then this piece of paper must be registered with the rightful owner. It must bare the name of the car owner and not anybody else. if you sell your car, the COE is returned back to the government and pro-rated based on the used period. The COE is never meant to be $ generating machine, so what is wrong to refund what you have received? No selling to another party just the COE, you need to buy that car with the COE. NO buying of COE by dealers!!

The bigger problem with today congestion is actually the commercial vehicles on the road. Construction sites are at every corner and everywhere. Urbanization also meant commercial deliveries are happening in very congested town and roads leading to town centres. Every 10 vehicles on the road, 3 or more are commercial vehicles doing deliveries or ferrying passengers. Imagine a lorry carrying 2 passengers in the congested road and it take a few traffic light change to cross it due to slow pick up. It is also a danger to pedestrians.

To satisfy the aspiration of car ownership, commercial vehicles (other than public transport) will cost more to use during peak hours. You can do you deliveries during non peak hours. Just like 'Off Peak' cars. I have seen those huge container truck, less the 40 footer container used to ferry family to the market! Taxi used as private car for ferrying wife to market or buying breakfast for the family. With today COE price, it is cheaper to rent a taxi for private use and at the same time to earn some extra when you have the time? Hope some LTA big shots are reading CS. haha

Haha ... using a taxi for personal use ... ? Hmmm .. maybe .. but r u willing to eat human pie and let ur friend know u r so desperate for a car ?

Haha ... using a taxi for personal use ... ? Hmmm .. maybe .. but r u willing to eat human pie and let ur friend know u r so desperate for a car ?

so delicious

1993+untold+story.jpg

Last edited: