Loy Krathong - Yi Peng festival in Chiang Mai

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are my contributions in addition to limwhow's photos on this thread. We shot side by side during this festival. I think sometimes this way is good because we can find angles which the other person may not see.
I have put in some of these as complement, hopefully, to complete the coverage.

SereneXMM no.1
The lantern leaning quietly by one side, waiting for action later...
SG_Yi_Peng_Festival_SG_20091024_43801.jpg

SereneXMM no.2
Participants gathered, quietly sitting on the grass, waiting for the festival to begin...
SG_Yi_Peng_Festival_SG_20091024_4406.jpg

SereneXMM no.3
Letting go...
SG_Yi_Peng_Festival_SG_20091024_4939.jpg

SereneXMM no.4
Fireworks! To start off the launch of the kohms!
(I managed to shoot this through the lantern of this family...)
SG_Yi_Peng_Festival_SG_20091024_4620.jpg

SereneXMM no.5
So many photographers swarming the monks...
SG_Yi_Peng_Festival_SG_20091024_4831.jpg

Please enjoy!

Wow ! Nice & informative series. :thumbsup: Now, I want to travel there next year. ;)

wah steady lah WH and Serene! i can see gurus in the making!:)
more more more photos please! and please go and print and put in the office. i'm sure the floating lanterns willl help to cheer everyone up and put smiles on peoples faces!:):):)

Last edited:
Wow ! Nice & informative series. :thumbsup: Now, I want to travel there next year. ;)

AlexK, thank you thank you...! Never mind. Next year you bring me to Cambodia, Laos, Bali, Lombok, Myanmar together first. Then I will bring you to Chiang Mai... hehehe...

more more more photos please! and please go and print and put in the office. i'm sure the floating lanterns willl help to cheer everyone up and put smiles on peoples faces!
Hey Mr acs1886! Thank you thank you very much! OK OK, I will buy some frames first. Eh, where is your San Francisco thread huh? (can't find it leh.... hehe...)

Hi AlexK, thank you so much for your kind comment:)

AlexK, if you don't mind me putting in a picture here just for completeness sake, I have enclosed a record shot of the 'Thousands of Lanterns in the Sky'. Hope you all will like it.

SereneXMM no.6
Thousands and Thousands of Lanterns...
SG_Yi_Peng_Festival_SG_20091024_4636.jpg

Last edited:
more more more photos please! and please go and print and put in the office. i'm sure the floating lanterns willl help to cheer everyone up and put smiles on peoples faces!:):):)

acs1886, thank you so much for your flattery comment. Waiting patiently for your masterpieces leh...:lovegrin:

I may be asking a c2pid question...
for next year's event, 2010, will it be the saturday b4 the Loy Krathong or 2 saturdays?
where can I find out..?
I am thinking of getting the cheap tickets 1st...
any help will be appreciated..

oh.. the write up, the wonderful pictures...
thanks for sharing....
enjoyed it tremendously..
great job... :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I may be asking a c2pid question...
for next year's event, 2010, will it be the saturday b4 the Loy Krathong or 2 saturdays?
where can I find out..?
I am thinking of getting the cheap tickets 1st...
any help will be appreciated..

oh.. the write up, the wonderful pictures...
thanks for sharing....
enjoyed it tremendously..
great job... :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thank you, kissnight, for your kind encouragement.
Next year's Yi Peng festival will be sometime in late November 2010.
Remember, Loy Krathong is the official festival for Festival of Lights in Chiang Mai and if you check the official Thai tourism promotion website, they will confirm the date for Loy Krathong. This is normally held in the City Central near the Mae Ping river.
Yi Peng festival is usually a slightly different date, although during both celebrations, there will be the release of lanterns into the sky. This is held in Lanna Meditation Centre.
So it would be good for you to do a Google search and check as the date draws nearer.
Hope that helps.

thanks a lot again.. limwhow :thumbsup::):thumbsup:

SereneXMM!! I like the shot of the million lights!

Agree with acs1886, The Force is strong in you. Keep up the good work!

#17 ... my pick !! :thumbsup:

Fantastic series. How I wish I could be there to witness this.

I always wonder what happens to these lanterns when they fall?

Hi Lim (dont mind me calling you this way :p), im amazed by the beautiful pictures you have took for the sky laterns at night with such clarity, dont mind if you can share your set up? thank you :)

Fantastic series. How I wish I could be there to witness this.

I always wonder what happens to these lanterns when they fall?

Hello NineEleven, thank you very much for your kind words! I am sure you can. Just make your way there next year November! These lanterns... well, either they drop into the river, or onto some ulu ulu places in the jungle, hopefully by then the fire would have been out already... hehehe...

Hi Lim (dont mind me calling you this way :p), im amazed by the beautiful pictures you have took for the sky laterns at night with such clarity, dont mind if you can share your set up? thank you :)

Hello pwrpufguy, certainly... Thank you for your praises! I use the 5DMkII, and SereneXMM uses the 50D. Our team members use Nikon D700. All our settings are very similar - ISO 1600, aperture f/2.8 - f/3.5 (but mostly at f/2.8 cos it's REALLY dark), shutter speed 1/60 (mostly) but reluctantly 1/30.

wow..nice series..:)
Hello DinoSG, thank you so much for your kind encouragements!

one word, two syllabus. AWESOME!

Hello, geckoblade. Hey, thanks very much for your AWESOME praise!

Hi AlexK, thank you so much for your kind comment:)

AlexK, if you don't mind me putting in a picture here just for completeness sake, I have enclosed a record shot of the 'Thousands of Lanterns in the Sky'. Hope you all will like it.

SereneXMM no.6
Thousands and Thousands of Lanterns...
SG_Yi_Peng_Festival_SG_20091024_4636.jpg

This photo is awesome. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing.
It is a fab travelogue series.
Do share other photos related to your Chiangmai trip if you have them.
Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.