Lightroom 1.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lightroom now runs pretty fast.. but when your library is filled with 10,000 images/references, will it still be as fast? The Beta versions fail for me because it simply hogged system resources. Same with Aperture which was why I stuck to c1pro. But the new LR seems smoother and has more refinements and control to highlight and shadow controls. Noise control and sharpening isnt as good as c1pro but its acceptable since I run my images thru noise control batch processing anyway.

Am running dual core 2ghz g5 with 7gb ram btw..

i have about 8000 pics in my libarary and it works just fine. The only downtime you have is when you build 1:1 previews of a 200+ shot... that will take some time but its way faster now than before. the betaversion would use up all the memory i had for this operation, LR1 does it now with a third of the resources... i think best is when you import a new shoot to let the computer run by itself for a couple minutes, go have a coffee and come back afterwards. Also previews are discarded after a certain time (can be adjusted by user, default is 30days). so if you revisit a shot taken a year ago you will have to rebuilt the 1:1 previews.

thanks for the tips bro! Too used to my mouse wheel zoom in PS itself and ACR has a numerical zoom thing. So a bit blur when coming to the zoom in lightroom. But getting used to the "ratios" used in Lightroom now :) Anyway lightroom is so powerful i can do 90% of my PP without direct editing in PS now. If only there were some way for us to incorporate macros and filters in. I don't think i'll ever go back to DPP, capture1 or ACR after using this. Its addictive.

i have become an addict too... :cool:
There will be lots of opportunity for third party filters and macros, however nobody had the time to develop it yet....
However, a number o people have worked out macros for developing presets, such as gray, sepia, cross processing, Selenium toning, Nikon Mode III etc. The macros a very easy to write. Sean McCormack has compiled a lot of such presets and they can be downloaded from his webpage. you can access his webpage through www.lightroomextra.com

lightroom is pretty good. the only other RAW workflow i have used is canon's bundled DPP and i must sat lightroom really bring the 2 together. i can adjust practically anything in lightroom without even adding layers!!

i find the tone curve adjustment to be very good. no need to adj the points on curve but then the bars on the bottom specify which areas. shadows, midtones, highlights and stuff. i made very good results.

the only thing i want to complain about is when zooming into picture or the adding of effects the picture will pixelate for a while before the effect is seen. this is the biggest fall back because DPP and PS CS2 won't have similar effects. sometimes editing pics cannot wait for the picture to pixelate then reappear IMO.

running in on a amd 3800+ 2gb of ram. still quite ok. i "think" maybe is CPU bottleneck. the pixelate problem that i complaining about could be due to be amd processor lo.

use on 23 inch apple cinema HD display very fun. lol.

Greetings... I been playing with mine, it's much more powerful and faster than Aperture, very nice, no regret.

How are the photos from your cousins wedding?

woo! gotcha me man! Yeah.. turnout not as bad as I thought! Haha... using lightroom for the entire processing ;)

Thumbs up! :bsmilie:

Those interested in purchasing Lightroom for students, don't bother going to Pics and Pixels because they ran out of stock for it. Thursday is supposed to be their restock date, so remember to call first! :D

My recommendation is to switch from RSP to LR not only because newer cameras will not be supported by RSP anymore. by the way there will be a little tool released by Adobe that allows you to transfer the RSP settings to LR, so you do not need to redo the files!!!

The most obvious (to me) benefits of LR over RSP is how much better the colors look and the intuitive controls to shape the overall image. I think I am done acquiring raw software since LR gets me what I need without further work in photoshop. And I am saying this based on my own experiences with DPP, C1, RSP, ACR, Bibble and LR over the last couple of years.

DPP is still the "king" if you want exceptional colors and tones but the effort takes just too much time. Right now, LR offers a good balance between speed to post-process raw images and reasonably good color tones :)

Those interested in purchasing Lightroom for students, don't bother going to Pics and Pixels because they ran out of stock for it. Thursday is supposed to be their restock date, so remember to call first! :D

You mean this coming Thursday? Wheres this shop and do you have the number for it?

woo! gotcha me man! Yeah.. turnout not as bad as I thought! Haha... using lightroom for the entire processing ;)

Thumbs up! :bsmilie:

Well, my computer MBP 2.16GHz Core Duo 2GB RAM actually hanged when I was using Aperture. So I've not much confidence. So far, LR has a better user interface to me and I feel it's speedier than Aperture as the requirements are supposedly lower. I'm having a great time with my current workflow.

If I'm not wrong, there's a sales staff called Millan (or was it Milan)? Provided good service when I bought some Adobe software from her.

+ 1:thumbsup: :)

Is there a way to set the resolution ie the DPI when using the crop tool ( i know aspect ratio can be set). Much Tks

Is there a way to set the resolution ie the DPI when using the crop tool ( i know aspect ratio can be set). Much Tks
No, and why would you like to do that? DPI have nothing to do with cropping....
i could imagine that you would like to set the total pixels for the long or short side because you might want to make sure you have enough resolution when printing the photo... but then LR has its own print module that takes care of this....
LR works in develop module with the pixels available, it does not need to care about dpi cause it does not know yet how large you want to print your photo...
DPI are set during export of the photo, you can choose a size in CM and dpi and the photo will be resampled to match...

Wow Lightroom in huge demand... Pics and Pixels also cannot keep up with the requests for the student version!

PS. How do you do unsharp mask in lightroom?

Wow Lightroom in huge demand... Pics and Pixels also cannot keep up with the requests for the student version!

unsharp mask dont have... just sharpening.... under detail

hi ... whats the diffrence with the edu pack and full version?....

My friends collected from them today.:)

Same here, just got mine today.

Status
Not open for further replies.