let guess the price of 42.5mm nocticorn and who want to get it?

are you interested?

Results are only viewable after voting.

hammeryou

Mar 28, 2011
I guess we have wait awhile before it hits the market... but who is interested:sweat:

Im interested but dun think it will be cheap. Must see reviews when its out before buying.

Nocticron :bsmilie:

Unicorn sounds better :bsmilie:

The spec is not out yet right? Can't find it in the pany lumix microsite.. wondering whats the weight and size.

PANASONIC ANNOUNCES THE FASTEST INTERCHANGEABLE LENS FOR THE LUMIX G SERIES CAMERAS

NEWARK, NJ (August 1, 2013) Panasonic today announced the LEICA DG NOCTICRON 42.5mm F1.2 lens, the fastest (1) interchangeable lens in the Micro Four Thirds standard for the LUMIX G Series cameras.

Previously, Panasonic has marketed interchangeable lenses meeting LEICA specifications, including the LEICA DG SUMMILUX 25mm/F1.4 ASPH. and the LEICA DG MACRO-ELMARIT 45mm/F2.8 ASPH./MEGA O.I.S. The name "NOCTICRON" was defined by Leica Camera AG for this lens type continuing LEICA's legendary elements of large diameter, high quality lenses. The LEICA DG NOCTICRON 42.5mm/F1.2 achieves the fastest (1) F1.2 for a Micro Four Thirds interchangeable lens, becoming the first large diameter, high performance NOCTICRON lens.

Panasonic will continue to further advance its product development to meet the diverse needs of customers in the globally expanding Micro Four Thirds market.

Note 1. For an AF interchangeable lens, as of August 1, 2013, according to research by Panasonic.

Note 2. Details of the product specifications, the date of release and the price are yet to be announced. See the lenses road map on our website.

CHnKqEQ.png
[/IMG]

via:Panasonic announces Leica DG Nocticron 42.5mm F1.2 (again): Digital Photography Review

Don't think so, only this brief press release so far.

The answer is no for me is because

1. There is already a 45mm f2.8 LEICA DG lens which have a similar focal length, no doubt the F1.2 is 1 stop better in terms of lights and better bokeh etc... ... but cannot really justify enough that this lens existence
2. There is another 45mm f1.8 very very economical lens name D.Zuiko (Olympus lah) lens... ... with the price and the quality it holds, I assume that lens is invincible.
3. I own a 50mm f1.4 Zuiko (old manual OM) lens therefore I don't need that focal length

Fastest ever m43 mount. I would expect them to price it "specially".

They seem to be ignoring the fact that the Voigtlander lenses are the fastest MFT lenses on the market right now... well if they actually worded it as "fastest lens with AF", then that is fact.

Anyway, first time I heard a Nocticron... :confused:

Nocticorn.... too fast to become summilux leica and too show to become noctilux :bsmilie:

oh no.. mistake i make them sound like food :embrass:

The success and failure of this lens will largely depend on the pricing.
There's already the very capable 45mm f1.8 from Oly which is decently priced, with good IQ, fast AF and lightweight.
This nocticron must beat the oly hands down if it wants to charge a premium for it.

I am a noob, just wanna find out what does a 42.5mm do? The 35mm equivalent is 85mm which I would think is just good for portraits? So that we don't have to look like a stalker and close up on people, in that case then I would think a longer focal length like the 75mm would be better, no?

Also, 45mm vs 42.5mm is essentially a 5mm (35mm) difference, which would mean that like the rest have said.. $$ counts.

Just my two cents. =)

Last edited:
For 75mm the actual aperture size is 75/1.8=41.6mm. Whereas for 42.5 is 42.5/1.2=35.4mm. And the 45mm aperture would be 45/1.8=25mm. In terms of bokeh, the 75mm is definitely superior couple with its long FOV. My guess is it would be price between the 2 Olympus. About Sgd999?

Whereas for choice of the 3. I'm actually looking forward for this lens. 75mm (it is probably not about stalking la) actually is very neat for modelling shot. 45 and 42.5 would be much usable especially for kids portraiture. Between the 2, 1.2 is really significant compared to 1.8.

Last edited:
If you see the trend, Panasonic and Okympus lens are priced in this manner (roughly):

1) Leica branded lens are priced close to 80% of the 35mm equivalent. E.g Nikon 50/1.4 at SGD1019

2) Non Leica primes are a mixed bag, about 80% of the prices of their 35mm brothers, due to low volume.

2) Zooms are priced much lesser, about 50-60% of those from Canon and Nikon.

A Canon 85/1.2 is priced at SGD4399, so my guess is this Leica 42.5mm/1.2 will be priced in the range of SGD2599-2999? Seriously, how many will buy this lens even if great? If low volume expected, high price is expected. SGD999? Wait long long.

If its costly (eg. >$1200), its just not going to justify it.
Its just effectively some sort of 35mm equivalent ~85mm with DOF equivalence of f2.4 for the same FOV.
Thats quite a bit to pay for what APS-C is getting with a 50/1.4 lens.

For me, the Oly 45/1.8 is probably more value for money.

Of course, the proof is in the pudding, so maybe this Nocticorn may really be something special (though I'm doubtful its over $1k special)

Thanks for the info man..if anything above S$1k I think I would rather go for the 75mm because right now I have the 25mm and 60mm macro (which seems to shoot pretty nice non-macro photos)

So I guess my vote would be no on this lens, however.. if the price is right.. BBB bug might bite.

Sigh, for the love of photography and technology. =)

For 75mm the actual aperture size is 75/1.8=41.6mm. Whereas for 42.5 is 42.5/1.2=35.4mm. And the 45mm aperture would be 45/1.8=25mm. In terms of bokeh, the 75mm is definitely superior couple with its long FOV. My guess is it would be price between the 2 Olympus. About Sgd999?

Whereas for choice of the 3. I'm actually looking forward for this lens. 75mm (it is probably not about stalking la) actually is very neat for modelling shot. 45 and 42.5 would be much usable especially for kids portraiture. Between the 2, 1.2 is really significant compared to 1.8.