Leica M8 will be launched on Oct. 14 in Singapore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solutions to the m8 magenta problem without the filter...

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/m8-magenta.shtml

Some materials absorb and others reflect IR, to have a software edit that reduces the overall red tint is not really ideal, for e.g. are the resulting yellow and blue true to the scene? A filter solution in front of the sensor is much better in this regard, but had to send the camera in. A filter in front of the lens is also less ideal as hot-mirror such as the 486 suffers from angle-of-incidence issue.

Cathay called me to say that they have the camera for sale. Got 4 sets only, all chrome only. I'll wait to see if Leica manages to solve all the current problems first before getting one. Anyway, i want a black body not chrome.

Hi,

There have been a few work arounds to reduce or eliminate this magenta issue. Some of them look pretty good, but not perfect. But Leica did admit this is an issue and will be making an announcement by next Monday. There have been a great deal of discussions and also 'noise' in http://www.leica-camera-user.com/digital-forum/.

Cathay called me regarding the availability of the M8 in chrome. But I have decided to wait for Leica to make the announcement on the solution to this and the banding issue.

I called Schmidt as well to try to find out if they have any news from Leica. But as yet, they have not heard anything from Solms. Meanwhile, if you see someone shooting with a M and a R8/DMR this weekend, that's me.:cool: Have a good weekend.

N.S.

Cathay called me to say that they have the camera for sale. Got 4 sets only, all chrome only. I'll wait to see if Leica manages to solve all the current problems first before getting one. Anyway, i want a black body not chrome.

What was the price they quoted? <$7k?

Inserted my own SD card and shot several shots with the m8 in DNG.

Of the 5 files, 3 of them cannot be opened or viewed.

And I saw the camera hang for don't know what reasons. Have to remove and put insert battery again.

The new 28mm asph is really small and sweet! Too bad I didn't get to see the tri-elmar.

The organiser are really nice people. Treat u like old friends. :thumbsup:
And Jimmy actually remembers me that I'm also a Canon user as I asked him during the DMR launch to use the 21-35mm on my 1Ds.

M8 retail price is $7880. ;p But only available next month. Kind of too long a wait.

Stayed there for a short while cos I running photomarathon and need to take some pics. Luckily found some photo inspiration inside the hotel to shoot my assignment. Too bad never win any price.... Maybe I should simply have taken a picture of the BIG BIG ROUND ROUND Leica logo for the theme: Power of Simply RED. :D

003.jpg

Congratulations to weekh for winning the Canon competition. He is featured in today's Straitstime's Digital Life! This photo is found there! Sorry OT, but this image was on this thread.

Touched the M8. Interesting way to take photo. Also lenses are small and can carry 3 out anytime. i am using a 5D at the moment and I envy the size.

Going to HK early next month. Any recommendations for M8 sellers there?

So.....

As the dust settles...

Is it a good time to buy this piece of Leica yet? Any advice out there?

Heard that prices are dropping?

Lowest I have gotten is $6.8k (cash price).

That's with 2 IR filters that never gets delivered? :)

Hmmm where for that price? Thanks!

Hi,

$6.8K is a very good price. Make certain you get local warranty. If you need it, go ahead. When it is good it is very good, but when it is bad it goes back to the factory! Mine has to go back to the factory due to a 'bright' or 'stuck' pixel and rf alignment issues with several of my lenses. It like a roller coaster ride. Check the Leica User Forum for more feedback from M8 users.

BTW, i have received one of the 2 IR cut filters.

N.S

I think the main issue is the shutter mechanism that spreads a whole lot of grease onto the sensor. But it's not a big issue. I cleaned it myself.

All being said, I would still have to say that the M8 is a rather troublesome camera. IR filters, dirty sensor, 6-bit coding for cyan drifting. But once you get pass all this issues, it is the best in its class and can easily rival the top lvl DSLR in terms of output resolution. Esp. if you love to shoot it in black and white.

I received my 2 x IR from Solms within 6 weeks, so all being said, its definitely better for the current adopters than the early adopters.

The IR sensitivity is not really a big issue. The biggest problem at the moment in my opinion is the automatic white balance. Its very inaccurate. A new firmware coming out on the 27th is supposed to fix this problem.

Hi,

Cleaning sensor is a necessary evil with any DSLR or in this case the M8. I had to clean the M8 sensor several times to eliminate dust and lubricant spots.

As for the WB, if you shoot RAW this is not a big issue. Even with the firmware upgrade, you might not get perfect AWB. I have installed the latest firmware upgrade for the DMR. The AWB has improved over the previous version, but it is not perfect. I expect this to be the same with the M8.

N.S.

Saw someone this morning shooting with a M8 + the new TRI-ELMAR!
Didn't know that he is my neighbour until he said hello to me! &#21516;&#36947;&#20013;&#20154;&#20063;! :bigeyes:

The tri-elmar is soooo small! At first I thought it was a 28mm lens.

Make me drool only......

Status
Not open for further replies.