*ist DS/L rear curtain flash sync

Status
Not open for further replies.

southernoise

Aug 12, 2004
Hi,

I've check some specs online and saw that the DS2 supports rear curtain flash sync. Does the DL/DL2 supports this?

Thanks!

i cannot find the rear curtain flash sync function on my Ds with a sigma flash, maybe it depends on the flash.

thanks for checking it out for me.

I forgot to mentioned while checking specs its the DS2 thats has it. Just called Alan Photo and they've not heard of the DS2 before.

southernoise said:
thanks for checking it out for me.

I forgot to mentioned while checking specs its the DS2 thats has it. Just called Alan Photo and they've not heard of the DS2 before.

I got the feeling that Shriro is only bringing in the DL and DL2 series

Nikonnew said:
I got the feeling that Shriro is only bringing in the DL and DL2 series

wah... this is not good man...

tiong78 said:
There is Rear curtain with the pentax 360 flash.
I think the DL should support it if i'm not wrong.

sorry to ask such a newbie question but is rear curtain flash sync dependant on the flash or the camera?

I'm coming from a mechanical SLR and rangefinder background paiseh...

EDIT: downloaded the DL manual and got my answers on page 153. Rear curtain sync flash is available with the use of the pentax 360 flash and with restriction with the build in.

How about non pentax flash like Suntax?

southernoise said:
sorry to ask such a newbie question but is rear curtain flash sync dependant on the flash or the camera?

I'm coming from a mechanical SLR and rangefinder background paiseh...

EDIT: downloaded the DL manual and got my answers on page 153. Rear curtain sync flash is available with the use of the pentax 360 flash and with restriction with the build in.

How about non pentax flash like Suntax?

I'm not sure abt non pentax flash.
But the settings for rear curtain sync is on the flash.. so it shd be dependent on the flash.
:)

hope that ans your qn.

tiong78 said:
But the settings for rear curtain sync is on the flash.. so it shd be dependent on the flash.

hope that ans your qn.

i have a Sigma EF500..i dun think it has Rear Curtain.. only Contrast-Control and High-speed syn.

tiong78 said:

hope that ans your qn.

thanks tiong, I guess I'll be getting a DL soon.

k_istDS said:
i have a Sigma EF500..i dun think it has Rear Curtain.. only Contrast-Control and High-speed syn.

which means to enable rear curtain, I'll have to get a dedicated Pentax Flash. :cry:

Oh just to clarify, I'd like to try rear curtain cos I like to snap bands in action and I've realised rear curtain will give me the fluidity of their movements on stage with clear facial expression unlike using the first curtain.

Not exactly a very important feature as my interest is not only on shooting bands but a nice one to have if I'm planning to spend 1k+ on a new system.

Been thinking about other options like 350D and D50 but I'm sold on the size of the viewfinder and the price of the *ist DL.

southernoise said:
which means to enable rear curtain, I'll have to get a dedicated Pentax Flash. :cry:

Oh just to clarify, I'd like to try rear curtain cos I like to snap bands in action and I've realised rear curtain will give me the fluidity of their movements on stage with clear facial expression unlike using the first curtain.

Not exactly a very important feature as my interest is not only on shooting bands but a nice one to have if I'm planning to spend 1k+ on a new system.

Been thinking about other options like 350D and D50 but I'm sold on the size of the viewfinder and the price of the *ist DL.

I would suggest you wait a while then. cos they will be releasing a new pro level flashgun soon in april.
U may like to take a look at that before deciding. ya, I also like photos taken with rear curtain sync. :)

southernoise said:

Maybe you should see if you can get a DS or DS2.. the Viewfinder and i think the AF point are better. and to shoot bands in low light condition, you may need fast lense..so 1K+.. i think, quite tough, unless you have all the lense already.. not sure if the rest would agree with me.. nopetheless, pentax have good images even with high ISO...

k_istDS said:
Maybe you should see if you can get a DS or DS2.. the Viewfinder and i think the AF point are better. and to shoot bands in low light condition, you may need fast lense..so 1K+.. i think, quite tough, unless you have all the lense already.. not sure if the rest would agree with me.. nopetheless, pentax have good images even with high ISO...

The reason for getting the DL is the price. I'm comfortable with center focus then reframe cos coming from a manual SLR/Rangefinder.

One thing I'm curious about is the how big the difference is between the viewfinder of DS .95 and DL .85 magnification? Is the DL magnification the same as D50 and 350D?

I'm planning to get the DL kit, shoot and then if i need a faster lens then plunk in more $$$ on a Tamron 28-75 F2.8 sighs... and then the pentax flash...

southernoise said:
The reason for getting the DL is the price. I'm comfortable with center focus then reframe cos coming from a manual SLR/Rangefinder.

One thing I'm curious about is the how big the difference is between the viewfinder of DS .95 and DL .85 magnification? Is the DL magnification the same as D50 and 350D?

I'm planning to get the DL kit, shoot and then if i need a faster lens then plunk in more $$$ on a Tamron 28-75 F2.8 sighs... and then the pentax flash...

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=185581

on other thread.. DS is selling $1299....0.95 magnification makes a diff.. especially if you need to manual focus at times...;) Especially if you like macro like me...

southernoise said:
heh... i'll go check the DS out... soon. now to sell some stuff. :)

Yes, with DS, i believe you will get amazing images.. but of course you need to learn the camera and know its limitations.. What camera you were using now??

k_istDS said:
Yes, with DS, i believe you will get amazing images.. but of course you need to learn the camera and know its limitations.. What camera you were using now??

currently alternating between a Bessa R and an Olympus OM1 plus a bunch of old rangefinders. Fun toys to play with but I'd like some automation lah... :bsmilie:

I agree, the camera is a tool and 99% of the time its the person behind the lens. I'm still learning lah and trying to get a nice deal for my limited funding.

southernoise said:

The difference between D/DS/DS2's 0.95x vs DL/DL2's 0.85x is significant to me. For this reason I did not consider the DL very much. Another difference between the DL/DL2 and the D/DS/DS2 is the lack of wireless high-speed sync ability, but in your case of shooting bands you probably won't miss this feature.

For a comparison in terms of traditional 35mm SLRs, as you probably are familiar with, the DL/DL2 has only about a 0.56x magnification (assuming a 1.5x crop which Pentax suggest on their literature). The D/DS/DS2 has approximately 0.63x.

This thread on PentaxUsers may interest you:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PentaxUsers/message/4434

I was in a similar situation as you are in and since I prize viewfinder size, I ended up with a *ist D (same finder as DS/DS2) instead. I still wish it can get larger, but in terms of APS-sized sensor digital SLRs today this is largest it probably will ever go.

Pentax flash controls are all entirely on the flash units themselves, so these units will determine what features are available. Pentax AF360FGZ (Guide Number approximately 30 [ISO100/m at 50mm]) is probably the only one available, but if you can wait a while, the higher-powered version Pentax AF540FGZ (Guide Number approximately 50 [ISO100/m at 50mm]) will be available later in the year.

kelvinang,

thanks for sharing! all the more I should get my lazy ass off too TCW to check out the DS.

cheers,

edwin

Status
Not open for further replies.