Is Photoshop/PP really neccessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyway, are there any good/famous photographers who doesn't do PP at all or minimun PP? Cos PP seems to play an important part in making a picture look great. The point I wanna know is if it's possible to have a Great picture just Raw or all do great pictures have to go through PP to be great?

i am sure there are photographers which were not pped much, but relied more on the light, circumstance, skill, among the 80,000 other things that photography is about, rather than just pp.

you miss the point here, and the vibe i'm getting is that you're trying to say that pped good photograph is lesser than non-pped good photograph. that's like saying that bad pped photograph is lesser than non-pped bad photograph. the thing is, a bad photograph is a bad photograph. a good photograph is a good photograph.

in short, you don't need pp to get a good photograph, but pp can add to a good photograph. and in my view, a good photographer should recognise when he needs a certain amount of pp to bring across his message, to convey what he visualises, and when to stay away from it.

there are so many ways to take pp. take for example a swan picture. i can turn it into black and white, i can do selective colouring, i can just adjust the curves, or i can spend half a day burning and dodging it to achieve a certain effect. choosing the correct path of pp, or not pping at all because there is no need for it - that is what is important, if you ask me. and at the end of the day, what we see is the final result.

Last edited:
i am sure there are photographers which were not pped much, but relied more on the light, circumstance, skill, among the 80,000 other things that photography is about, rather than just pp.

you miss the point here, and the vibe i'm getting is that you're trying to say that pped good photograph is lesser than non-pped good photograph. that's like saying that bad pped photograph is lesser than non-pped bad photograph. the thing is, a bad photograph is a bad photograph. a good photograph is a good photograph.

in short, you don't need pp to get a good photograph, but pp can add to a good photograph. and in my view, a good photographer should recognise when he needs a certain amount of pp to bring across his message, to convey what he visualises, and when to stay away from it.

there are so many ways to take pp. take for example a swan picture. i can turn it into black and white, i can do selective colouring, i can just adjust the curves, or i can spend half a day burning and dodging it to achieve a certain effect. choosing the correct path of pp, or not pping at all because there is no need for it - that is what is important, if you ask me. and at the end of the day, what we see is the final result.

**applause**

Just a thought,
nowadays can anyone get away with printable shots without any pp? Seems like many nowadays rely on pp to make their shots look better. Even basic stuff like cropping or changing colour saturation etc.

Is it really neccessary? or can we just get away without it and print brilliant pictures?

haha...so even if you pp or don't pp, you will still puke? :bsmilie:
like that might as well don't pp cos the end result is still the same! haha..saves time too.

Hmm...seriously, IMO really good photographers don't really needa do much pp. but there are of cos really bad photographers who are very good at pp as such their pp-ed pictures look better compared to some of those taken by good photographers. Any truth in my thought?

In the old days, you have to developed your film, and then make a print.

Post processing and DI is just that, developing and printing.

The lab you send the film to process, will often make some adjustments when printing, unless your instruction is to do absolutely no adjustments. Then you probably will be sending the film to a professional lab.

If you are serious enough, you might be doing the developing yourself, and make adjustment in terms of the temperature of the developing solution, the development time, and let's not forget, the type of solution used.

NOTHING comes straight out of a camera and is usable.

Today, in the digital world, the camera onboard processor will make the post processing for you.

What I have failed to understand is, this preoccupation of "I don't do post processing", "I don't do photoshop" ... Very misguided.

yeeey.. so please uninstall your photoshops at home.. hahaha :)

peace to all. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.