Is Photoshop/PP really neccessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Post editing is an art in itself. To achieve the look you want and not compromise the realism of the photo, you have to develop a critical sense of judgement and know what you are doing well.

Hmm...seriously, IMO really good photographers don't really needa do much pp.

You now speaking on behalf of all the good photographers. Your opinion only sepak for yourself leh :devil:

What's "really needa do much pp" or none at all? So how much is too little or too much pray tell?

Even the masters tweak their shots in the darkroom back in the days. You have not reached that stage yet as you have not push your technique to the far limit of film or the digital medium ....thus..you never have to PP most of your shots. Now if you understand what I mean by that you should already have found your answer to your subject you brought up. heh.

Depends on individual to decide whether if it's necessary.
:think:

Photo retouching and Manipulation began very early actually - The first recorded case of photo manipulation was in the early 1860s, when a photo of Abraham Lincoln was altered using the body from a portrait of John C. Calhoun and the head of Lincoln from a famous seated portrait by Mathew Brady.

Source: http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/farid/research/digitaltampering/

WTD607.gif

You may be right... at least that's a general rule I pose on myself. When not careful, too much processing may lead to unrealistic photos (probably that's the reason why i don't like HDRs and the famous Dragan effect).

I beg to differ on the HDRs part. It's not that complex with today's technology. Careful but fast (less than 5mins) adjustments in a HDR merging software can produce good results without going into surreal or abstract art...then again, there're folks who thinks that's OK.

On the part of PP, I go for the minimum. Just basic cropping, tilt adjustment, brightness, contrast colors and levels tweaking to bring out the best. I'm rather lazy when it comes to photoshop so I'll force myself to take the best pic ever from the camera directly to avoid additional PP work, e.g. using a bubble level to get near perfect horizontal horizons.

PP certainly has given people more CHOICES on how they want to see their photos, and diversity is always a good thing.

Last edited:
Hmm...seriously, IMO really good photographers don't really needa do much pp. but there are of cos really bad photographers who are very good at pp as such their pp-ed pictures look better compared to some of those taken by good photographers. Any truth in my thought?
nonsense,

imo, if you can say that, i think you have a poor understanding of what photography is about

My photos process by themselves. Sometimes they serve cookie and tea for me.

My photos process by themselves. Sometimes they serve cookie and tea for me.

How do you get your photos to behave? Mine keep trying to destroy the world...

Hmm...seriously, IMO really good photographers don't really needa do much pp.

This is a really pain-in the ass thoughts you have. PP to enhance a good taken pic and PP to save a f**k up pic are two totally different stories.

This is a really pain-in the ass thoughts you have. PP to enhance a good taken pic and PP to save a f**k up pic are two totally different stories.
there will always be people who sit around thinking of ways to put down everyone else across the board

my suggestion to threadstarter is to think less, shoot more. :thumbsup:

night86mare probably meant, without a good image to start off with, no amount of PP will help you.

Just a thought,
nowadays can anyone get away with printable shots without any pp? Seems like many nowadays rely on pp to make their shots look better. Even basic stuff like cropping or changing colour saturation etc.

Is it really neccessary? or can we just get away without it and print brilliant pictures?

can.. if you exposure everything is right.. so far i have to v v min touch up!! try over expose by +0.3ev for best out of camera image and nt too underexpose which wad nikon always does

Oh man... this PP or No PP is really BOM PP... Just do what you feel is right. You feel is nice then can liao loh, even if you PP all you like, still cannot satisfy everybody's preference :bsmilie:

Why not just shoot and do whatever you like, admire the image or share with the rest of us can get the same amount of comment and criticism.
;p

Oh man... this PP or No PP is really BOM PP... Just do what you feel is right. You feel is nice then can liao loh, even if you PP all you like, still cannot satisfy everybody's preference :bsmilie:

Why not just shoot and do whatever you like, admire the image or share with the rest of us can get the same amount of comment and criticism.
;p

agree as long u like it ok liao.. if others liek it tooo gd for them... smth i learnt along the way.. if u shoot for client, if he/she likes it is most impt :D

Well... If you can get a better picture through pp, why not?

I don't think you can say that people who pp are bad photographers. The same kind of high quality meat can lead to different things would handled by different chef. A good picture is only part of the equation.

nonsense,

imo, if you can say that, i think you have a poor understanding of what photography is about

I only know how to press button.

I can do it standing one leg on a chair, with a basketball on my head while one hand holding a stack of plates.

Is it good or bad understanding of photography?

I don't think so.. bad photos will still be bad photos even after a lot of pp... that's the point.

well, i guess that answers my question!:)

yea, i was just thinking with all the softwares out there, is it possible for a bad picture to be good? I guess the answer is no. But sometimes like if there's a picture with bad composition, people can just crop out the distracting parts. So is composition really important nowadays when you shoot?

there will always be people who sit around thinking of ways to put down everyone else across the board

my suggestion to threadstarter is to think less, shoot more. :thumbsup:

haha, i'm not trying to put anyone down.:) just have a thought and I'm a fan of your work..

Well... If you can get a better picture through pp, why not?

I don't think you can say that people who pp are bad photographers. The same kind of high quality meat can lead to different things would handled by different chef. A good picture is only part of the equation.

Yea, actually the question I was asking was more of saving a lousy picture rather than enhancing a good picture.

Anyway, are there any good/famous photographers who doesn't do PP at all or minimun PP? Cos PP seems to play an important part in making a picture look great. The point I wanna know is if it's possible to have a Great picture just Raw or all do great pictures have to go through PP to be great?

Oh man.... give some slack please. 5 mins for PP, are u rushing for dinner ? :p I'm sure those nice looking PP done on works such as DanielKHC takes more than 5mins right ? :bsmilie:

I think it's a personal preference. you can do a 24hrs PP on a single pic if you want. and take dinner all you want. :sticktong

Status
Not open for further replies.