How to maintain a tripod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wai

Jan 17, 2002
South Pole with Penguin
singastro.org
spend so much on a 2nd hand tripod....how should i maintain it??

it is a manfrotto 190B with a Gitzo ball head.

need to oil the joints??

look like those screws are starting to rust....so i put some vaseline....it that okay?

Originally posted by kamwai
spend so much on a 2nd hand tripod....how should i maintain it??

it is a manfrotto 190B with a Gitzo ball head.

need to oil the joints??

look like those screws are starting to rust....so i put some vaseline....it that okay?

SPARINGLY apply Singer machine oil to the joints, etc. Wipe off excess.

Regards
CK

tripods need to mantainn wan mer?

Don't forget to wipe down your tripod with a moist cloth/kitchen towel at the end of the day to get rid of all the nasty salt from your perspiration.

usually i wipe it clean after my outing...dont want any residue for corrosion building-up........

oil it at the end of every usage. Prevents rusting.
ok, just joking.

You'll be wanting to strip it down to it's component parts to clean. If you're a competent photographer you should be able to do this in under a minute. Make sure you check for carbon residue, especially if you're using one of those new fangled carbon-fibre things.

Use a dry cloth to do the cleaning, or flannelette with possible. Don't forget to oil the moving parts after cleaning and before storage to prevent rust. Just be thankful you don't have to check clear...

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Wah lau... machiam like clean rifle like that....
Anyway, the 190B has screws that corrode fast... I mean it!

Maybe do a periodic clean and a thorough clean after every trip to the seaside, lake, or anywhere there's salt and corrosives...

Status
Not open for further replies.