how to future-proof your digital photos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

can100D

Jan 16, 2015
Singapore
was looking at some of my prints that are more than 25yrs old.

can't help wondering whether all those digital pictures that we have in our hard-disk or in the clouds would be able to survive that long.

Backup... Backup.... and more Backup... backup to newer HDD/Storage every few months/year....

Is it live or is it Memorex? :bsmilie:

can't help wondering whether all those digital pictures that we have in our hard-disk or in the clouds would be able to survive that long.

Safest place is not in the clouds but beyond The Gate so that photos can be accessed posthumously.

inline-haw-par-hell4.jpg

Digital files, yes.

Storage medias, no.

In fact, compare to prints, film, digital files can be duplicate many copies and generations without quality lost. It makes sense to archive prints and films into digital files.

Interestingly, assuming one has the means to store it properly, film can be considered 'future-proof' as it is not dependent on technologies/formats that change so fast.
Recall hearing at a workshop that US motion picture companies, even if the film was shot entirely in digital, they still transfer to film negatives for archival purposes.

But impractical for most of us. Our best bet is probably to contend with using redundancy (multiple digital copies), regular backups, saved in non-proprietary formats. Making prints wouldn't hurt.

Interesting read: http://spectrum.ieee.org/consumer-e...will-todays-digital-movies-exist-in-100-years

Good to read about 'digital decay' or 'data rot' as well.

http://blogs.getty.edu/iris/preventing-digital-decay/

Some tips here: http://www.digitalpreservation.gov/personalarchiving/

Digital files, yes.

Storage medias, no.

In fact, compare to prints, film, digital files can be duplicate many copies and generations without quality lost. It makes sense to archive prints and films into digital files.

you are quite right, Ben.
i hv quite a lot of negatives, some of them has got some fungus growth alr.
intend to scan with my old Nikon coolscan but can't find the compatible software for the scanner for the present day OS.

online storage sites like Flickr may be a good idea to keep current.
wonder if it's good idea to store all in one place or spread to different baskets.

actually, don't have to think too far off and complicated,
your photos, whatever photos, will be come public domain 50 years after you past on.

and 99.9% of the photos, nobody will be interested to keep them except you (unless you are a great artist), so most of the photos, it will be gone in anyway, soon or later.
beside, even it is in digital form, there will be a cost and effort to archive them.

it is better to curb your photos ruthlessly now, before it get out of hands during your life time, or become a burden of your descendants.

it is better to curb your photos ruthlessly now, before it get out of hands during your life time, or become a burden of your descendants.

Truth!

Hi, anyone found a good cloud storage solution for photos? That is, easy and fast to upload and download when needed with minimal loss of information. Thanks.

actually, don't have to think too far off and complicated,
your photos, whatever photos, will be come public domain 50 years after you past on.

and 99.9% of the photos, nobody will be interested to keep them except you (unless you are a great artist), so most of the photos, it will be gone in anyway, soon or later.
beside, even it is in digital form, there will be a cost and effort to archive them.

u r so right .... i think my grand children will nvr bother to see my photo 50yrs from now. so i guess it can laat only 20yrs for my next 1 generation only.

I'm wondering whether safe deposit companies like CISCO has temperature climate control in their storage.

If it has, then maybe its worth to keep old films, negatives, HDD there.

u r so right .... i think my grand children will nvr bother to see my photo 50yrs from now. so i guess it can laat only 20yrs for my next 1 generation only.

That's what Singapore Museum is for.

If you are important enough your photos will be preserved there for generations to view. :)

online storage sites like Flickr may be a good idea to keep current.
wonder if it's good idea to store all in one place or spread to different baskets.

Store ALL in multiple baskets.

Hi, anyone found a good cloud storage solution for photos? That is, easy and fast to upload and download when needed with minimal loss of information. Thanks.

Amazon cloud drive. unlimited storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.