How to develop your own B&W photos

Wow you make it sound so simple. Will definitely try this once I have the time to.

Just a really stupid question, where does one purchase the abovementioned chemicals from?

THANKS

Having problems with,

- Drying
- film is a little tiny weeny tiny little tiny little bit sticky after drying (compared to one in photolabs)
- Shaking off water/squeegee
- Recycling developers

Any tips?

Having problems with,

- Drying
- film is a little tiny weeny tiny little tiny little bit sticky after drying (compared to one in photolabs)
- Shaking off water/squeegee
- Recycling developers

Any tips?

-Dry in cool dustless location(slow drying reduces curls i heard.. but it also depends on the film also.. lucky 100 curls more for me than.. say neopans..)
-it should not be sticky actually.. did u totally wash off all the chemicals from the film? can double check on that..
-i usually squeegee with my fingers.. but make sure fingers are clean.. i read about a way about hanging the film diagonally to the ground so that the water will run off from the edge.. but i haven't tried it..
-About recycling developers, try not to.. but if u are.. remember to compensate the timing cos the developer might not be as strong.. anyway hc-110 is really economical already.. like 16ml of developer + 484ml of water for dil B.. will take u awhile to finish the whole bottle..

Wow you make it sound so simple. Will definitely try this once I have the time to.

Just a really stupid question, where does one purchase the abovementioned chemicals from?

THANKS

Hey char.. din know u frequent cs also.. chemicals can be purchased from Ruby Photos(More Ilford stuffs) or Cathay Photos(Only Kodak stuffs i believe)..

hihi~~... the pic seems not to be loading from my com.
is it just me or the pics are all lost?

1 question - if the tank holds 4 reels & only developing reel. measure developer:water ratio for 1 reel? thats what the uncle at ruby told me.. oso how to reel film into a metal reel holder? no sides -_-

Dear collegue

Welcome to Clubsnap

how developing 35mm Ilford Delta 400 Professional /27° 1 roll only

Please reply to info thanks

Last edited:
I try not to squeeze wet film with anything, especially squeegee or cloth. Use only filtered water for mixing solutions as well as the last wetting agent bath. Tank, solution beakers and thermometers must be kept dust free and air dried facing down after wash. Give it a good rinse using filtered tap water before use.
Tap water straight from the bidet for the 2nd to final washing, but keep the water speed down. I use Ilford wetting agent on the last wash, just dunk some in and leave for a minute. While the negatives are still in the reels, I give it a good shake down like a dog from a bath. Hang to dry with clothes peg on the top and bottom to keep some weight. Found that the less water it has on the hanger, the less long streaks will form. So try to keep as little water as possible after the final wash. Leave to dry overnight in conditions with minimal moving air ( if it's a room, close all doors and window with no fans running ).

Last edited:
hello all,i am interested to develope my BW film by myself,but i don't have any developer tank.
the question is,where can i buy the developer tank in Singapore?

hello all,i am interested to develope my BW film by myself,but i don't have any developer tank.
the question is,where can i buy the developer tank in Singapore?

ruby photo @ peninsular.

3 Coleman Street, #01-01 / 01-02, Peninsula Hotel Shopping Complex, Singapore 179804
Ph : 6338 0236 , 6338 4104

ruby photo @ peninsular.

3 Coleman Street, #01-01 / 01-02, Peninsula Hotel Shopping Complex, Singapore 179804
Ph : 6338 0236 , 6338 4104
how much it will be?
i am in indonesia,and will be there in may :)

i will be going down to get some chemicals, maybe i can check for you

Last edited:
how much it will be?
i am in indonesia,and will be there in may :)

About $25-30. Chemicals another $30, plus dark bag etc.. total around $100. Measuring jug, thermometer no need to buy from them. Just get cheap one good enough.

About $25-30. Chemicals another $30, plus dark bag etc.. total around $100. Measuring jug, thermometer no need to buy from them. Just get cheap one good enough.
wow,thank you for answering :)
about thermometer just forget it :D

time to save money from now :eek:

OMG,no one here?
may i know where to get an enlarger?
i've done with develop,and now try to prints out some BW negative..

OMG,no one here?
may i know where to get an enlarger?
i've done with develop,and now try to prints out some BW negative..

I got an enlarger for sale, if you want. Want to clear it so going for cheap cheap, u name a price.

this is cool stuff here! Always wondered if it's possible to develop my own photos, like in those movies in dark room a bit of red light kind of atmosphere. Great stuff!!! will get down to actually developing my own pics in future!!

this is cool stuff here! Always wondered if it's possible to develop my own photos, like in those movies in dark room a bit of red light kind of atmosphere. Great stuff!!! will get down to actually developing my own pics in future!!

originally I was using Green/Yellow light (Kodak OA Filter), after that try develop ortho blue sensitive film and use 1A Red filter.

Look at the image slowly appear in-front of you, :bigeyes::bigeyes:

I 'm thinking to start developing my own b&w photos. There are few questions I want to ask:

1. If I purchase developer and fixer only, is it enough?
2. Any difference between Rodinal, HC110 and DD-X? I heard DD-X is good for faster film and Rodinal is for slower film.
3. What b&w film will you recommend?
4. What thermometer do you guys use? Any cheaper alternative? Ruby sells it for $20.

Srry if I ask too many questions :)