How to develop your own B&W photos

sumball said:
Ok, My tank capacity is 650ml. When I develop 1 roll of film, do I have to put in both reels and fill the tank with 650ml of chemical? Or can I just put in one reel with 325ml of chemical?

Thanks in advance.

If you put in one reel and use 325 ml developer, you need to put in the plastic "catch" - a C-shape thing which hopefully will keep the reel in place. If not when you agitate, the reel might "migrate" up and the film not soak/develop during the standing phase, leading to uneven development. I am nervous about the catch being effective enough, so I put in two reels, with the loaded one at the bottom

Hiee....

Thanx to these threads......and StretShooter's instructions......
I successfully develope my first roll of TMax 100.........
Hope to get more rolls out over the week end......'Yes!!!!!

;)

rgds,
sulhan

Hi!
Is D76 an ok developer for Ilford Delta 400? Right now on hand I've got 120 Tmax 400 (TMY), once this bunch of film is finished I will go to ilford films. Thanks!

Alvin

For Delta 400, Try Ilford DDX if you want fine grain and nice tone. Or you can try Rodinal for the sharp gritty distinctive grain look.

Delta 400 is a modern grain film....parallel to Tmax. HP5 would parallel Tri-x in terms of look.

Got a quick and dirty question for those of you developing at 20deg.

How do you manage to keep your temp constant while you develop for 6-8mins? Doesn't the temperature increase because the room temp is much higher than that in Singapore?

I'm about to try my first 20deg developing this weekend and I'm trying to be prepared so that I don't ruin my first roll of TriX.

You try the best you can... check the temp every other min, immerse in ice water if necc. Or you can also make some allowance for temp increase during development by starting at 16 degrees and finishing at 24 degrees, so that the average is 20 degrees.

Actually, what is more difficult is getting all the other components like washing at the same temperature. If you wash with tap water, that is certainly not 20 degrees here, and it could cause reticulation.

Wai Leong
===
brian said:
Got a quick and dirty question for those of you developing at 20deg.

How do you manage to keep your temp constant while you develop for 6-8mins? Doesn't the temperature increase because the room temp is much higher than that in Singapore?

I'm about to try my first 20deg developing this weekend and I'm trying to be prepared so that I don't ruin my first roll of TriX.

waileong said:
You try the best you can... check the temp every other min, immerse in ice water if necc. Or you can also make some allowance for temp increase during development by starting at 16 degrees and finishing at 24 degrees, so that the average is 20 degrees.

Actually, what is more difficult is getting all the other components like washing at the same temperature. If you wash with tap water, that is certainly not 20 degrees here, and it could cause reticulation.

Wai Leong
===

My personal experience is that you need not be too worried about maintaining temperature strictly. A word of advice from Desmond Kwan who does all the darkroom work for Russell Wong. Start at 19.5 C and by the end of the developing the temperature will be approximately 20.5 C. Well the final results speak for themselves.

I use tap water to wash the negatives, and they had gone up to 26 C. I have NEVER seen any reticulation with this temperature change.

I really applaue streetshooter for his effort. Truely informative. makes me want to jump into it immediately. However i have a few questions. I'm using 100Tmax. what's the kind of developing agent to use? and the developing time?

I'm still consolidating the list of dark room equipment to buy so that i can start. haha..

yar one important thing.. how to develop 120 films? I have no picture of removing the paper backing for the film. I look at books and still i can't find them haha ...

developing 120 films is the same as 135s ... the film reel can extend to accept 120s...and as per normal, must check the time and temp for dev 120s.

here's one that i did...120mm HP5 400 with a Woca...it's a decent attempt.
and thks to Cheat for all the advice.

LCK01.jpg

student said:
My personal experience is that you need not be too worried about maintaining temperature strictly. A word of advice from Desmond Kwan who does all the darkroom work for Russell Wong. Start at 19.5 C and by the end of the developing the temperature will be approximately 20.5 C. Well the final results speak for themselves.

I use tap water to wash the negatives, and they had gone up to 26 C. I have NEVER seen any reticulation with this temperature change.

student, you are right. I think the most important thing is not let any *sudden* and extreme temperature change to occur. Most of my work was done at 24-25 C, with a few cubes of ice in a bucket, and when I wash with tap water it was usually about 27-28 C during the night. No problem at all.

Don't worry too much, just enjoy!

Thanks for the advice. I'll get a few ice cubes just in case I get a temp swing. I'm sure by the time I'm into my 3rd roll I'll forget all those worries already!

all the pro developer, I am very interested to start developing my own film.. but I have no clue what i should buy to start with. ie developing tank and what else? what kind of developer should i buy if i want to stick to Kodak 100Tmax? any kind soul please help me..

defector said:
all the pro developer, I am very interested to start developing my own film.. but I have no clue what i should buy to start with. ie developing tank and what else? what kind of developer should i buy if i want to stick to Kodak 100Tmax? any kind soul please help me..

I am not a pro.

This thread started with a straightforward instruction on what you need and how to develop a negative. It is basic, but sufficient for your needs at the present moment. If are still unclear, perhaps you can go over to Ruby and speak to Ah Eng, and she will help you.

I would not recommend Tmax 100 as a starter film. Try something more forgiving like Tri-X, HP5 or FP4.

student said:
I am not a pro.

This thread started with a straightforward instruction on what you need and how to develop a negative. It is basic, but sufficient for your needs at the present moment. If are still unclear, perhaps you can go over to Ruby and speak to Ah Eng, and she will help you.

I would not recommend Tmax 100 as a starter film. Try something more forgiving like Tri-X, HP5 or FP4.

morning, doc!

izit more economical to DIY using SS's illustrated method, or send it in for developing? i only shoot BnW once in a blue moon becos of the cost of developing... and i also dunno how till now... :embrass:

Tmax has an advantage in that you can actually process at room temp
( for Singapore tats around 29 degrees celsius water temp )

I remember reading that somewhere, so i started off with Tmax : )

Use super diluted Rodinal
you can then maintain you dev time to 7 mins

But i believe most other films can be developed at this temp too

maybe just not mentioned ?

Any film can be developed by any developer, although you may get differences in results (stuff like sharpness, grain, accutance, contrast - I'm not familiar with all these). And yes, you can do it at any (reasonable) temperature. The other factors would be dilution and timing.

In order to simplify matters, it's best to keep two out of the three variables fixed, and change the third variable according to experience. In my case, I usually fix the dilution (1:100) and the temperature (room temperature, which is 27 deg in my aircon room).

The only thing that changes would then be the timing, for different ISO.

Agreed that TriX is more forgiving than Tmax. Have not tried Ilford films, so cannot comment. I tend to stick to proven formulas, which is 20 min for TriX 400 exposed at ISO 1600, and about 10 min for Trix 400 at ISO 400.

Some would question why I choose such a high dilution. Firstly it uses less developer concentrate (I'm referring to HC-110), and secondly, the timing is less critical. A difference of 1 min is a smaller fraction of 20 min than of 5 min. The higher temperature (27 deg vs 20 deg) somewhat compensates for the lower dilution, so you don't have to soak the films for too long (eg 45 min). The only drawback would be exhaustion of developer, which I suspect happens beyond 20 min.

There is one more variable I have not mentioned, and that is agitation. Since I stick to 10 sec agitation right at the beginning, that is one less variable to worry about.

I don't worry about the other film qualities (sharpness, accutance, contrast) because ultimately I scan my films and post-process in photoshop before printing, so I can adjust these to what I want. Why then do I shoot film? Good question.

Hi!

For info on high temp development, try this link.

We experimented alot then and have good results. It's your choice of course in choosing 20deg C or higher temp. You just need to understand the compensation in terms of dilutions, temp and time. I have developed for 4 mins with good results. Just an alternative to development style.

http://www.offstone.com/photo/showthread.php?t=519

StreetShooter said:
Why then do I shoot film? Good question.

OT a bit:
It is like having a wife of 40 years than to a new young gal at 20 years old. You have feelings for her. :lovegrin:

nightwolf75 said:
morning, doc!

izit more economical to DIY using SS's illustrated method, or send it in for developing? i only shoot BnW once in a blue moon becos of the cost of developing... and i also dunno how till now... :embrass:

My personal take on this is that if you don't really have an (primary) interest in black & white, you probably will be better off asking someone to do for you. It is easy to process a film, but to process it well consistently need practice. I think on the long run, better to farm it out.