How safe to put a 2nd internal drive?

Sion

I once did that and the drive went dead after a week and lost many photos in it.

I just installed another one last week. So far I leave it empty to see how it is behaving for a few weeks before using it.

I got a 256gb ssd for c:. Then a wd black 2tb cached by a 128gb ssd. Follows by a 2tb green. All cooled by internal fans. 3 x 2tb, going to get a usb 3 hub for all. So far so good, as long your casing don't place near the window will do. I going to add a 4tb (maybe) when I raid my c: next year. NAS not so recommended for me, unless you need to get your files remotely often.

Depends on your motherboard.... I have

* 128GB SSD
* 1TB HDD for misc storage
* 1TB HDD for Photo
* 2TB HDD for Video
* 1TB HDD for (more) Video
* 1TB HDD for misc Video and Files

All installed by me.... somethings a problem or 2 can happen... but could be solve with some know-how... :think:

My notebook hv 512 SSD, backup all photos to my NAS 3TBx4, Raid-5, so got storage around 9TB.
With Raid-5 in case 1 of the hardisk down, you still able to rebuild your drive.

My PC has three internal disks, where is the issue? Make sure it's cooled by the front fan. Disks die easily when they get too hot.
Install smartmontools and the GUI, easy to check for any early signs of disk failure.

I once did that and the drive went dead after a week and lost many photos in it.

I just installed another one last week. So far I leave it empty to see how it is behaving for a few weeks before using it.

In the same computer? Of course that is fine! I have been building my own pc for years and on average my PC has at least 4 HDDs (3 terabyte each presently) at any one time. what you really have to be certain of is your PSU ( power supply) can take the load and your have a motherboard that can support multiple SATA inputs and a well thought out interior and large enough PC casing to ensure heat is WELL managed by having logical fans position to draw cool air in and warm air out so there is no built up of heat region. I run water cooler for my CPU to cut down on a large metal fin monster to cool my i7 CPU which is slightly overclocked. coming back to the power ( PSU) always better to get a good brand and pay abit more and more is better then less. Minimum would be 850w I feel personally if you are doing a lot of charging thru your pc. My PSU is 1250W. PSU is the main reason for many PC failing over time. All those made in china crap unbranded that usually comes with a fully built system are a nightmare. Under powered components face a lot of problems. It is often overlooked.

Use this link to head to a site that lets you calculate how big a PSU you need for your computer or just to find out if your PC is presently under powered or not. http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

My latest built uses 3 HDD and 2 SSD drives. I do this to help with my Lightroom 5.5 for photos editing and dedicate a HDD for all photos I am editing and outside of my PC I use a network cable link to a NAS with 4 HDDs (3 Terabyte each) for photos and movie backup in Raid 5 and also a WD 2 Terabyte WIFI cloud link for all my smartphone photo/video auto upload each time I am back home it uploads newly capture stuff as backup. Imagine how many HDD I am running off my one PC. heheh.

I build my own system as I am also a hardcore gaming old fart at 52 years too. So I try to always buy good brand parts. No need to get the fastest or newest but get the ones that are stable. Cost abit more but on the long run will last way longer.

That's my rig geared to handle many HDDs, A very power intensive graphic card or two , USB charge points..etc.

Last edited:

Why not just use ext HDD?

It is pretty common to have multi drive in a system, for things that you cannot loose, it's better to make a copy to offline storage. like mine, so far so good. Important thing is to refresh the harddrive every 3 ~ 4 years before it fail.

1. 120GB SSD - OS & program
2. WD Green 2TB - For data and photos
3. External USB3 WD passport 750GB - bakup copy of photos and important data from 2 above

Last edited:
It is pretty common to have multi drive in a system, for things that you cannot loose, it's better to make a copy to offline storage. like mine, so far so good. Important thing is to refresh the harddrive every 3 ~ 4 years before it fail.

1. 120GB SSD - OS & program
2. WD Green 2TB - For data and photos
3. External USB3 WD passport 750GB - bakup copy of photos and important data from 2 above

Yes, agreed...and good in a way for saving a little $$$ on Big-capacity HDD as who know normally before fully utilizes its capacity the hdd and/or backup hdd :hung: then it's a waste liao...then damn:mad2: manzzz...:bsmilie: already too late...!!

Btw, I'm using two SSDs internally on my laptop...as a form of an Instant quick backup copy of my biz-photoshoots:thumbsup:...onto the secondary Sandisk Extreme-II-SSD-256GB...as my OS/Programs drive is a Samsung-Pro 840-256GB.....once back home I'll sure and never forget to back them up to my QNAP-NAS x 4-bays of WD-Red-NAS-4TB-HDDs and then thereafer, I back them further to another QNAP-NAS x 4-bays of WD-Red-NAS-4TB-HDDs which house under a different Roof, is of vip consideration/choice to me...hehee, safest-bet, I believed:cool:...hmmm...!!

Anyway, just fyi, nowadays I hardly using my WD-passport-portable 1TB & 2TB to do backup liao...ever since I upgraded to QNAP-NAS x 4-bays with WD-Red-NAS-4TB-HDDs as somehow I feel so much more convenient than using those portable-backup hdd...hmmmm...!!

Last edited:
Yes, agreed...and good in a way for saving a little $$$ on Big-capacity HDD as who know normally before fully utilizes its capacity the hdd and/or backup hdd :hung: then it's a waste liao...then damn:mad2: manzzz...:bsmilie: already too late...!!
Install smartmontools and the Windows GUI. Knowing is better than guessing and HDD usually die slowly, gives enough time to recognize upcoming failure and to backup all data.

Install smartmontools and the Windows GUI. Knowing is better than guessing and HDD usually die slowly, gives enough time to recognize upcoming failure and to backup all data.

Thanks bro Octarine;), for your recomemendations...(...wondering is it freeware...hopefully is...:embrass:...:bsmilie:) and will go google to find out more for my uses on my quite new abt 2mths 17.3"-laptop:sweat:.....as bcos my QNAP got very good feature that can monitor the whole events/hdds conditions, etc, so unlikely need it...:)

Last edited:
Thanks bro Octarine;), for your recomemendations...(...wondering is it freeware...hopefully is...:embrass:...:bsmilie:) and will go google to find out more for my uses on my quite new abt 2mths 17.3"-laptop:sweat:.....as bcos my QNAP got very good feature that can monitor the whole events/hdds conditions, etc, so unlikely need it...:)
It is open source software. It is the very same tool that runs in your Qnap, or in Synology NAS or one of the many other NAS types in the consumer market.
Read up about the tool, it is very powerful.

It is open source software. It is the very same tool that runs in your Qnap, or in Synology NAS or one of the many other NAS types in the consumer market.
Read up about the tool, it is very powerful.

Ooh well well bro, haha...myself for being not so aware of it...'smartmontools' you'd mentioned which was actually stands for S.M.A.R.T. Monitoring Tools:embrass::bsmilie:...love its many features alot and really :thumbsup: indeed...:)