how many people use MF lens on canon DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.
leica R can beat canon "L" without any question:)

It's a different kind of L. Canon L is Luxury.......... these lenses are Legendary. :D
I'm interested in Zeiss 85!

Mines as follows: Nikkors 35mm f/2.0, 85mm f/1.4, 105mm f/2.5

The 35mm f/2.0 renders early evening colours very well but fairs poorly under very bright sunlight facing overexposure problems if stopped down. The 85mm f/1.4 is well... difficult to use at f/1.4 (Since the viewfinder's maximum brightness is at f2.8, the focus at f/1.4 is harder to catch) but is very sharp at f/2.8 onwards. The 105mm f/2.5 is legendary, being sharp even at f/2.5 and handling most condititions well. I did use some Ls before, namely the 24-70mm f/2.8 and 70-200mm f/2.8 and somehow the canon lenses make warmer pictures than the nikkors.

Hoping to expand this collection with the 35mm f/1.4 and 180mm f/2.8 ED AIS

Suntar M42 135mm 2.8 on 10D

Note that my adapter hasn't arrived yet so I'm actually manually holding the lens to the body while shooting and I'm just moving back and forth for focusing. Mount arriving from TagoTech next week

All shot @ f/5.6, jpeg, auto-levels in LR, no sharpening.

2266566364_44f7e870f3.jpg

2265776767_8c786caa6f.jpg

2265776567_9329a07622.jpg

2266565820_36193e1ecd.jpg

2266565674_4682c6c6c7.jpg

Wonderful lens

Question:

Do you guys encounter backfocus issues when using manual lens on FF or Crop bodies?
:think:

if you use AF chip, no such issue... even in famous back focus issue bodies like 20D and 350D...

Yap, I am using AF chip for the manual lens. :)

it is not only an issue for accurate focus, but also for accurate metering and best image quality....if you dont use this chip, the CMOS is dizzy for perfect reaction.;)

use chip as possible as you can...

Where would you guys mostly go to hunt for these MF gems?

Uses a couple CZJ and russian lens (M42) on 400D... the AF chip is a blessing for 400D's miserable viewfinder!

even use 5D, still need chip, very reliable and give outstanding picture quality than non-chip one, even by same lense.:think:

AF chip assist LEICA R 90/2.8 by leica R adaptor -EOS
1286.JPG

even use 5D, still need chip, very reliable and give outstanding picture quality than non-chip one, even by same lense.:think:

AF chip assist LEICA R 90/2.8 by leica R adaptor -EOS
1286.JPG

if use Voigtlander 125/2.5 macro, the EF mount and AIS mount output also different.:bigeyes:

Sorry, why do we need the chip again? I thought the purpose of the chip was to trick the body into thinking an EF lens was attached and so it will give you focus confirmation.... without the chip you will still get the same image quality assuming you can nail the focus (eg using a split focus screen or zooming in 10x in live view mode)....

i have an m42 mount adapter with AF confirmation and I use it with a 200mm, although the chip is reliable it is actually qute slow to use.... adjust focus ring, half press shutter release, no focus confirmation, focus to the front a bit, half press shutter release, no focus confirmation, focus to the back a bit, half press........ basically keep doing it until you hear the beep.... i think getting a 40d (or 1dmkIII / 1dsmkIII :p) and zoom in 10x in live view mode is faster..... btw i tried it with a m42 smc 55 1.8 before and it is easier to nail the focus, think it gets harder the longer the focal length....

Sorry, why do we need the chip again? I thought the purpose of the chip was to trick the body into thinking an EF lens was attached and so it will give you focus confirmation.... without the chip you will still get the same image quality assuming you can nail the focus (eg using a split focus screen or zooming in 10x in live view mode)....

i have an m42 mount adapter with AF confirmation and I use it with a 200mm, although the chip is reliable it is actually qute slow to use.... adjust focus ring, half press shutter release, no focus confirmation, focus to the front a bit, half press shutter release, no focus confirmation, focus to the back a bit, half press........ basically keep doing it until you hear the beep.... i think getting a 40d (or 1dmkIII / 1dsmkIII :p) and zoom in 10x in live view mode is faster..... btw i tried it with a m42 smc 55 1.8 before and it is easier to nail the focus, think it gets harder the longer the focal length....

I don't know but my personal experience with manual lenses is as follows:

on a wider lens, it's easier to get focus cos DOF is deeper.
on a longer lens, it's also easier because it is easier to see a defined DOF, though it is shallower.

Hi guys... I'm new to the use of manual lens on Canon DSLR. I managed to get a good conditioned 1Ds and would like some advice on which would be a good adapter to enable me to Leica lens.

I'm thinking of getting the Leica Macro 100mm for closeup work. Many thanks.... ;)

Hi guys... I'm new to the use of manual lens on Canon DSLR. I managed to get a good conditioned 1Ds and would like some advice on which would be a good adapter to enable me to Leica lens.

I'm thinking of getting the Leica Macro 100mm for closeup work. Many thanks.... ;)

can get from here....

http://store.tagotech.com/product_i...id=67&osCsid=db8beb2ac1d7e5bc1851bb0d3f02328e

i think Orient Photo at sim lim sells too.... around 50 +- for without AF confirmation... with AF confirmation is a bit expensive 200+

oh and canon makes split focus screens for the 1ds too... in case you need some more help....

I don't know but my personal experience with manual lenses is as follows:

on a wider lens, it's easier to get focus cos DOF is deeper.
on a longer lens, it's also easier because it is easier to see a defined DOF, though it is shallower.

I don't know, the focus on my smc 200mm f4 has always been the hardest to nail.... the problem is that you will reach a point that the subject looks the same through the viewfinder whether you turn the focus ring another +/- 10 degrees say.... that translate to a few feet front / back focus..... the dim viewfinder on my 350d doesn't help.....

with my 200mm 2.8L no need to think about MF.... the focus ring has a vvv short throw.....

PQ23 sell AF chip adaptor at reasonable price in our forum, it come with ETTL...

AF chip not only to help u get focus confirmation signal, but also cheat CMOS and its DIGIC engineer ready to react at its best performance. it is vigo for DSLR....

Status
Not open for further replies.