Hope (Philippines)

The world of Garbage in Tondo
5211677598_7ae50e467d_z.jpg

Most of us would want to get rid of any rubbish we can find in the house, However, to these scavengers in Smoky Mountain, the garbage is treasure. Their entire daily incomes depend on these disposed plastic and bottles.

Adults and children work alongside each other to dig for ‘treasure’ at the dump site. They would then sort them out and sell the items at the ‘sorting’ centres. The kid usually earn USD$1 a day for the collection. They have to work in extreme weather, exposing to the heat of the afternoon sun or the dampness of Monsoon rain and flood.

Last edited:
Thank you for your comments. Are you from Philippines.
My work is more focus on these disadvantage children instead of hidden treasures.
Everyone has their own Genre of work and project they wish to focus on. If you are offended in anyway by my photos let me know. I will remove the thread right away. Cheers

Yes I am from Philippines and felt sorry seeing the photos of these less fortunates. But if you're helping them in any form of support then I feel more greatful than offended.

Thank you for your comments. Are you from Philippines.
My work is more focus on these disadvantage children instead of hidden treasures.
Everyone has their own Genre of work and project they wish to focus on. If you are offended in anyway by my photos let me know. I will remove the thread right away. Cheers

Please do not remove this thread. It is very inspirational to many and directs attention to those in need. It does more good if allowed to stay. We all need to see and "feel" this thread from time to time... both as a reminder of how thank-ful we should be and as a reminder of the responsibility we have to help others less fortunate.

powerful journalism! love your silhouttes and back lighting pics! the mixture of your composition and the subjects really helps to stir emotions while viewing the photos... thanks for sharing! =)

Your photo is touching even without words it tell the story well done brother :thumbsup::thumbsup:

A very thought provoking series. Very inspirational. Thank You.:thumbsup:

Yes I am from Philippines and felt sorry seeing the photos of these less fortunates. But if you're helping them in any form of support then I feel more greatful than offended.

Hi maldito,

we have already done, feeding programmes for 300 kids bi-monthly and going to increase to weekly. We want to give them hard food instead of kids eating noodles everyday. In addition,
we have also build a shelter for the residents...so can be used as church, community hall and tutorial for kids. we are raising funds to build a sickbay now and trained locals to take care of the sicks and we belief in empowering the local champions. All credit go to the local champion(Beautiful temple)...as they are one really doing all the work...and we are just an instrument to empower them. I hope you would also motivate your friends to do the same..
We had Filipino friends who were scare to go into Tondo initially but my mentor brought them in, they started to see the other side of tondo. Now they join us for every trip.

My mentor has gone there alone for 9 years...and has since helping them...and even president is using his photos for his election campaign and the people in Tondo are the most friendly we have met and we bring local Filipino into Tondo to help...and we believe we can make the difference.

My mentor said, to help them we need to place ourselves in their shoes. First we need to find out their source of strength to survive for so long...and empower them on what they already good in... we cannot assume or come out a social intervention model based on our experiences...thats why my mentor spend 9 years knowing them and be with them...I hope you all can do the same and do your part in helping.

Last edited:
Please do not remove this thread. It is very inspirational to many and directs attention to those in need. It does more good if allowed to stay. We all need to see and "feel" this thread from time to time... both as a reminder of how thank-ful we should be and as a reminder of the responsibility we have to help others less fortunate.
Oh i am afraid the guy might be offended so was checking with him if he is ok with it.
I hope to keep this thread going from time to time. If i have time i will try to post more.

powerful journalism! love your silhouttes and back lighting pics! the mixture of your composition and the subjects really helps to stir emotions while viewing the photos... thanks for sharing! =)
Thank you so much for your comments! Just hope in future my photo can help them in some ways.

Thanks for sharing this excellent series.
Most of the photos are well executed and conveys a strong message in itself.
:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thank you Moonman for your kind comments and i am thankful that my photos deliver the message across.

Your photo is touching even without words it tell the story well done brother :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thank you Tarzan for your comments.

A very thought provoking series. Very inspirational. Thank You.:thumbsup:
Thank you for your kind comments.

I got permission from my mentor to post some of his work here.
Hope you guys enjoy it. If you want more please visit his Flickr. http://www.flickr.com/photos/ramdiboy/sets/72157623174470967/show/

Smoky Mountain, Tondo - Brotherly Love
4424933534_77ea98a5b6_z.jpg

The road is long, With many a winding turn
That leads us to who knows where. Who knows when
But I'm strong, Strong enough to carry him
He ain't heavy, he's my brother

So on we go
His welfare is of my concern,No burden is he to bear
We'll get there. For I know, He would not encumber me
He ain't heavy, he's my brother

Smoky Mountain, Tondo - Thank You for the Food! May God Bless You All!
4504798210_548b66c813_z.jpg

5016986152_fe02e97557_z.jpg

A meal a day is what most kids in Tondo (Smokey mountain) have in a day. Some don't even have a meal a day.

An additional meal a day is considered a privilege.

On Saturday 18th Sept 2010,
Malaya Kids Ministries organized a feeding program for a day.

300 children were given a tasty meal consist of Rice, egg and sausage. I could see how hungry the kids were.

These kids gave thanks to God and all the donors before receiving their meal boxes.

I would like to thank all donors who have donated to the feeding program on behalf of the kids from smokey mountain.

This photo is for you guys! Cheers!

Last edited:
@Snooze,i've been following this for a while and i don't think nobody should be offended by your good,inspirational work. it's just a portrayal of the other side of the coin,so to speak,THE OTHER REALITY. Mabuhay to you, your team and to others helping your cause because i believe you made an indelible mark to the lives of these people.......God Bless and More Power!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hi maldito,

we have already done, feeding programmes for 300 kids bi-monthly and going to increase to weekly. We want to give them hard food instead of kids eating noodles everyday. In addition,
we have also build a shelter for the residents...so can be used as church, community hall and tutorial for kids. we are raising funds to build a sickbay now and trained locals to take care of the sicks and we belief in empowering the local champions. All credit go to the local champion(Beautiful temple)...as they are one really doing all the work...and we are just an instrument to empower them. I hope you would also motivate your friends to do the same..
We had Filipino friends who were scare to go into Tondo initially but my mentor brought them in, they started to see the other side of tondo. Now they join us for every trip.

My mentor has gone there alone for 9 years...and has since helping them...and even president is using his photos for his election campaign and the people in Tondo are the most friendly we have met and we bring local Filipino into Tondo to help...and we believe we can make the difference.

My mentor said, to help them we need to place ourselves in their shoes. First we need to find out their source of strength to survive for so long...and empower them on what they already good in... we cannot assume or come out a social intervention model based on our experiences...thats why my mentor spend 9 years knowing them and be with them...I hope you all can do the same and do your part in helping.

I am part of a group that supports Gawad Kalinga (GK). This is a development foundation that builds homes for those who cant afford it. In 1999, the first GK house was built for the Adduru family. In June 12–14, 2009 GK launched a 21-year timeline to end poverty for 5 million families, by providing land for the landless, homes for the homeless and food for the hungry. The first phase of the GK journey sought to achieve Social Justice by raising 700,000 homes and start–up 7,000 communities by the end of 2010.

I saw GK's project in Baseco. It is good to see groups coming out to tackle the problem of poverty. We need more Samaritans and people who really walk the talk.

I told many of my Filipino and NGO friends that helping profession is long term effort. I shared with UNICEF in Makati about children rights and the wheel of change. Together, with a NGO in Cebu we managed to convince the mayor to spare children from adult prisons and started a separate institution for the juvenile delinquents. We recognized that 70% of the motivation comes from the clients themselves so let put our hands together to make this world a better place and empower the clients the resources to change. I have met Tony many years ago when we talked about Baseco's problem. Habitat was also involved then in certain development and we benefited from it.

We all acknowledge the problem but motivating changes need self sacrifice and need to be with the people and knowing their needs. The approach has to be Rights-based and not just social intervention.

God bless!

I am part of a group that supports Gawad Kalinga (GK). This is a development foundation that builds homes for those who cant afford it. In 1999, the first GK house was built for the Adduru family. In June 12–14, 2009 GK launched a 21-year timeline to end poverty for 5 million families, by providing land for the landless, homes for the homeless and food for the hungry. The first phase of the GK journey sought to achieve Social Justice by raising 700,000 homes and start–up 7,000 communities by the end of 2010.

Last edited:
Very meaningful thread. Keep it going bro. :thumbsup:

Very meaningful thread. Keep it going bro. :thumbsup:
Thanks bro for your encouragement. I will keep posting. Need to find time to process my images... Have to take it slow. Now i am gonna post one more. :)

The last one
5194701591_498206f605_z.jpg

http://bighugelabs.com/onblack.php?id=5194701591
You must be wondering why it's called last one. The kid is unloading the last piece of wood from their Pedi cab. Basically these people work all year around. This was photo was taken on a Sunday.

Despite all the hardships, their faith in God is always there.
That is their source of strength and motivation to pull through difficult times.
I salute you, people of Ulingan.

People need the Lord!

Last edited:
Please keeping on posting. Very meaningful and powerful series you have here. :thumbsup:

Please keeping on posting. Very meaningful and powerful series you have here. :thumbsup:
Thank you bro for your encouragement. This gives me the motivation to keep posting.
here's one more for u guys.

Sunshine boy
5135949274_aed59e6f9c_z.jpg

This is one of the more happier times i had with these kids living in Smokey mountain. This kid smile is like the sunshine shining outside. Despite their own living condition in Smokey mountain, they are a bundle of joy and laughter.

Last edited:
NICE series of photos. Keep posting:thumbsup::thumbsup:!!

NICE series of photos. Keep posting:thumbsup::thumbsup:!!
Thanks bro for your encouragement. Will keep posting when time allows. ;)

Lost childhood
5214139735_a4d964da25_z.jpg

Most of us would have seen this similar expression in Adults who lost their jobs or $$ in the Stock market or investment or maybe in a movie.

How about a kid? I am not too sure why he had this expression. He was just staring into space. Is he stress out becoz he can't play with his friends as he has work to do? Is it becoz he hasn't collected enough metal and plastic to sustain his family income? I am not too sure but this is the first time i seen a kid with such stress out or blank expression.

Incredible depth in your photos. I love the way they tell a story words themselves cannot explain :D