Hope (Philippines)

Your use of back lighting is :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Very nice and powerful images :thumbsup:
Thank you for you comments. Will try to improve more.

Your images really stirred the emotions..An eye opener for me..
I love them...
Thanks. Hope to bring more of such image to you guys.

For me, urs pics are one of the best. :thumbsup:
Thank you for the compliments. Just hope to bring some awareness to this kids.

Will post a few more before i fly off again.
Stay tuned.:)

Last edited:
We all need a rest
5043342567_632c193f86_z.jpg

This teenager is taking a break after a long day working in Ulingan but resting in such an environment is hazardous. The Fumes from the Charcoal factory is deadly. The rest is up to you to imagine. For now its time for me to rest safely at home.

This is my home, Tondo
4950873887_975ceb0472_z.jpg

This was taken in Tondo, apparently i took this man off guard. I love the eye contact i had with this man, child and woman. This man is standing outside his home with his dog and child. I can't remember much details on how i got this shot. Will fill you guys in when i recall the details.

Last edited:
Hope in the Ruins
5158583420_7b7c144817_z.jpg

Are you cold?
5163453441_4e8a741eea.jpg

Aji asking Vincent if he is cold and what happen to his legs.

Aji taking off his clothes for Vincent
5163453437_97f50f0c23.jpg

Vincent on Tom's shoulder walking back to Vincent's home
5163453443_09f4257954.jpg

Vincent's wound
5164069854_b0cf06aafa.jpg

Fear and doubt: this was what we saw in the eyes of this boy when we approached him. The way he walked and ran resembled a penguin; we thought the cause was a deformity from birth. He fled after this shot was taken and thankfully, we managed to catch up with him and with the help of our dear friend, Wai Jia, a Medical student, she was examined and it was found that he had first degree burns on his ankles and thighs. This was causing him so much pain that he could not walk or run properly.
As it became colder, Aji[http://www.flickr.com/photos/ajiaggarao] kindly took off his shirt and gave it to Bunso(Vincent) to keep him warm. When we asked Vincent where he lived, he showed us the directions while Thomas [http://www.flickr.com/photos/ramdiboy] carried him on his shoulder.
When we reached his home, we told his mother that we were going to bring Vincent out to buy medication to treat his wounds. His mother happily received the news and was overjoyed to agree. It was only then that we realized, since the age of 7, Vincent did not have his own set of clothes. That was the reason why he was running around naked. Whenever his mom dressed him up, it was with shorts belonging to his father and with a shirt belonging to his brother. After seeing all that has happened, I refer back to the quote “hope keep us going, without hope we cease to exist” it has made me realize so many things, and the most importantly, that there is always hope. On the long walk out of smoky, Thomas hurt his back while carrying Vincent.
After all that has happened, I’m pleased to say, Vincent no longer looks frightened and fearful anymore.

Last edited:
Hope in the Ruins
5158583420_7b7c144817_z.jpg

When we found this boy, the way he walk n run was really weird. Resemble a penguin running or walking. We thought he had some sort of deformity from birth. When we approach him, you can see the doubtful and fearful looks in his eyes. He ran away after we took this shot. We caught up with him and ask our Dear friend Wai jia a Doctor to examine him. We found out he has first degree burns on his ankles and thigh.

This was the reason he was running around like a penguin. Seeing that he is cold Aji kindly took off his shirt and gave it to Bunso (Vincent). We ask the boy where he lived, he took us to his home. Thomas kindly carried the boy on his shoulder while we made our way there. Thomas hurt his back while doing this. He carried the boy out of smoky too. Which is a long walk out.

We told his mum we are going to bring Bunso out to buy medication to treat his wounds. His mum happily agreed to it. Its only than we know why is he running around naked. Vincent does not have his own sets of clothes at the age of 7. When his mum dress him up, his shorts belongs to his dad while shirt was his brother. This incident made me realize so much things. There is always hope.

After all these, Vincent does not look frighten and fearful anymore. I will post a a few more photos on this incident if time allows.

I seriously need to learn how to write man!!!!

I really appreciate this thread! You've inspired me to go there one day. Are there any websites/books, articles that provide more details and facts in this area of Manila? You are doing a great service to these people. Keep up the great work!

I really appreciate this thread! You've inspired me to go there one day. Are there any websites/books, articles that provide more details and facts in this area of Manila? You are doing a great service to these people. Keep up the great work!

Hi raydio,

I am glad you appreciate this thread. i think you can get in touch with
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ramdiboy/ on flickr,he has a lot of information on the place but it is not advisable to go there just for the sole purpose of photography. Hope you understand what i am trying to say.

Here is another to share with you all

5 Peso a Song, Anyone
5039136506_216b1d1a78_z.jpg

This is their version of Karaoke around Tondo,Manila in Philippines.
1 song is 5 peso. Anyone?

This was taken just outside Aroma.
I happen to be waiting for a cab by the road and i heard some beautiful voice and i walked over and this is what i saw. I like the expression of the girl on the right side. Quite a funny expression. These are small little things these folks enjoy during their free time. Singing is part of their life.

Last edited:
I love the way you engage your subjects and capture the moments :thumbsup:

A very inspirational and emotion-triggering thread! Thanks for sharing :)

Really love your back lighting shots, especially #1, stirs up strong emotions. should have it printed.

I would like to join you in this journey ......hopefully!

Hi raydio,

I am glad you appreciate this thread. i think you can get in touch with
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ramdiboy/ on flickr,he has a lot of information on the place but it is not advisable to go there just for the sole purpose of photography. Hope you understand what i am trying to say.

Yes, I completely understand and respect what you are saying. I was not thinking just in terms of photography but more so of a missionary perspective in which these people can be helped in some way. Thank for the continued photos. They are great.

i dedicate my first post to you. really awesome photos. :thumbsup:

had always been a huge fan BnWs as well as sepias.

I love the way you engage your subjects and capture the moments :thumbsup: A very inspirational and emotion-triggering thread! Thanks for sharing :)
Thank you Mimik07 for your kind words. i am glad you can feel the kind of emotion i went through shooting these photos.

wow:)
i felt great emotion just from looking at your photos
Thank you for your kind words.

Really love your back lighting shots, especially #1, stirs up strong emotions. should have it printed.
Thank you for your compliments. Hmmm i will consider printing it as a coffee book in the near future.

I would like to join you in this journey ......hopefully!
Sorry but I don't know what you mean.

Yes, I completely understand and respect what you are saying. I was not thinking just in terms of photography but more so of a missionary perspective in which these people can be helped in some way. Thank for the continued photos. They are great.
Maybe you can drop me a PM on what u kind of missionary work are you talking about.

Last edited:
Really Tks for sharing Snooze, engaging and emotional...:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Really appreciate your kind words and comments.

i dedicate my first post to you. really awesome photos. :thumbsup:
had always been a huge fan BnWs as well as sepias.
I am honor to have your first post in my thread. Thank you.

Victory
5093614690_34ee5563e5_z.jpg

Now for something cool and relaxing. You can see the Cool passenger giving the victory sign beside the rider. The irony is, i didn't know until i was processing this photo. It's cool and cute.

Children of Tondo, Ulingan
4901139267_dd46fc5d01_z.jpg

This boy is about 10 to 12 years old, took this shot while making my way into Smoky mountain. While most kids are attending school, this kid is at Tondo sorting out the rubbish he has scavenge for the day. Plastic into one bag, metal to another etc.
1 kg of plastic is worth probably about 5 to 8 peso while metal is 8 peso to 10 peso.
Life is tough there so is this kid.

Last edited:
Thank you Mimik07 for your kind words. i am glad you can feel the kind of emotion i went through shooting these photos.

Thank you for your kind words.

Thank you for your compliments. Hmmm i will consider printing it unless some1 wants to buy it as a form of art and the money will go to the NGO's there.

Sorry but I don't know what you mean.

Maybe you can drop me a PM on what u kind of missionary work are you talking about.

What I mean is I hope I would be able to join your cause and shoot something like this so that everybody would know the condition of these people from this part of the world!

What I mean is I hope I would be able to join your cause and shoot something like this so that everybody would know the condition of these people from this part of the world!

Hi jed091270,

Thank you for your good intention but to me photography is secondary, helping them is primary. From your words, photography is primary, helping is secondary. Its not as easy as u think it would be. If you seriously want to help i can intro you to my mentor. He is a international volunteer consultant for various NGOs. He is a very strict person and i followed him around APAC for quite some time without taking a single photographs. We focus on helping. We shoot only when time permits. My mentor has been to this place for 9 years.. and he has not taken any photo in that 9 years but just to know these people and quietly helping them. I hope you understand what i mean. :)

Cheers

Thank you for your compliments. Hmmm i will consider printing it unless some1 wants to buy it as a form of art and the money will go to the NGO's there.

I'm sure it can be a form of art if you can convince a publisher to have it printed as a coffee book. after all, you might already have a big collection over the years from working with NGOs.
Profits can always go back to NGO. although my work is not good enough for printing.

I'm sure it can be a form of art if you can convince a publisher to have it printed as a coffee book. after all, you might already have a big collection over the years from working with NGOs.
Profits can always go back to NGO. although my work is not good enough for printing.

Bro you look me too up liao. I am not that good yet. Yeah i meant coffee book and not a single photo. Not a easy task to have a publisher to print photos of a nobody.
Are you a media corp photographer? i see quite a few stars in ya collection.

i have to say that this is probably my favorite series in CS. I'm very moved and awed by it.