Hope (Philippines)

Hi Dejavu,
THanks.. This is my Mentor photo. This is a very powerful photo. I will tell him your comments. Thanks!
Cheers!

Last edited:
Hi Cheeliang,
Thank you for your kind words. We hope to do a small part for these little ones over there. They deserve better.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Ricky the Cheeky
5482606004_f21451b09f_z.jpg

Ricky, a young charcoal boy felt rejected and sad for not able to join us for a meal at the nearby mall.
We could not locate and inform his parent at that time. We felt so sorry for him.
We later learned that his parents were divorced and he was left under the guardian of his grandparents.
We feel sorry for him. But we were able to make up one outing for him in the same evening. He was happy and grateful.

We would like to thank the following friends who have kindly sponsor in kind for the building, renovation, and feeding funds.

[1] Doris (Flickr Id : Lplate2009) – SGD300 (building funds)
[2] Cakka (Flickr Id : cakkarudie) – SGD500 (renovation funds)
[3] Yuik – SGD 900 ($300 x 3 months for feeding programme)
[4] SH Sim – SGD 600 per month (feeding programme)
[5] Anonymous – SGD5000 (feeding programme)
[6] Wai Jia – SGD1000 (feeding programme)

We still need around USD4800 for the mini hospital project. If you are interested or feel like a calling to help, please PM me and you can direct donate to Malaya Kids Ministries in Manila, Philippines or through my Paypal account. I do not take any commission or deduct the money for expenses. I will accumulate and pass the money to the NGO when I next visit them. Do drop me a PM if anyone of you wish to donate. Any amount will do.

Cheers!

very nice images.. probably just felt a few of them might be overprocessed.. but thats just individual preference..

very nice images.. probably just felt a few of them might be overprocessed.. but thats just individual preference..
Thank you for visiting. I hope you would spread the message. The children need us. Hope you may help too.
Cheers!

A proud Ulinganian
5468480050_58629d7c68_z.jpg

I was preparing to head home, when this young chap requested me to take a photo of him with his Fighting chicken. From the looks of it, he's proud of it. i kinda grew to like this photo. I dont know how to describe the feeling i have for this shot but i know i will find out the words soon enough.

Having some Fun!

5499499742_34b4165957_z.jpg

During my last day, the sunset in Ulingan was beautiful. We were walking out and we ask the kids to jump for us and here it is.
in this photo there is Jerry, Ephraim, Jen Mark and Ricky. They are really happy cause we are bringing them out for dinner!!! 2 meals a day there is consider a luxury.

In the end i had to carry Ricky out as he did not have any slippers. In the end, I bought him a pair of slippers. Hope he is still wearing it. They are a joyful bunch.

looking at your photos make me want to reach out a helping hand to them. great photos.
and your photos shows that great photos need no framing!!

Hi one952,

Thank you for your comments.
We are actually raising funds to build a sick bay there. If you wish to donate you can simply drop me a PM.

Cheers!

Thanks bro! Glad you love the photos.

Work and play in 1
5526047429_cb796dde0b_b.jpg

This is the place where kids call it the playground. We could easily find kids alone playing in the charcoal factory and there are a lot of hazards around them. They are too young to understand the hazards as we've seen how Vincent got burn by the fire in Ulingan. The kids work here 7 days a week with no off day. It is their family business and the only source of income.

In helping them, we are not going to tell them what is good for them as they are strong survivors. But we are going to empower them and provide them with facility that they could maintain themselves.

A mini-hospital (sickbay) is what they need at the moment to nurse the sicks. We are going to train the community to take turn to maintain this place and to take care of each other.

Come and support us in the new initiative. All donation will go to Malaya Kids Ministries and USD5000 is what we needed.

Thank you for those who have come forward in contribution :

[1] 1 click -AUS100
[2] Lplate2009 - SGD$300
[3] Cakka - He is gathering help from offshore vessel

We are targetting May as the deadline for the construction. The healthcare of the people, especially the little ones needs our help.

May God bless you all.

This was written by Our beloved friend ,Tan Wai Jia .
She is a medical student who was invited by my mentor Thomas to come along with us to Tondo, Ulingan. She is a very talented writer. Here is a short paragraph written by her.
More can be found @ http://kitesong.blogspot.com/2010/11/binson.html

I was shocked when I heard his reply. I had asked the question as a conversation starter, but little did I expect the conversation to twist that way.

I had asked Jerry, the little twelve-year old boy who had grown up all his life at the dumpsite, "Do you like Smokey Mountain?"

He smiled at me beautifully before saying, "Yes."

That shocked me. Because next to him, all the other boys who were his neighbours squirmed in disgust.

"Why?" I asked.

" Er..." he cocked his head in a child-like manner, "It is... beautiful."

Beautiful. How could this place filled with trash and ash and flies and dirt be... beautiful? Said the Filipino photographer who had come with us, "He probably has never ever been out of Smokey Mountain before. He probably has never seen what beauty is and so has nothing to compare his home against."

Jerry's response shocked me- what was beautiful about Smokey? But it marked the beginning of my journey in learning how to respect the people, instead of carrying my own mindsets, my own culture and my own sense of what was good and correct, my own sense of superiority to someone else's world.

Smokey mountain. This was his home, where his loved ones were.

Hope you guys enjoy the story written by her.

Truely inspiring... Thanks for sharing. Beautiful pictures and fantastic write ups... I especially liked Wai Jia's naration..

Truely inspiring... Thanks for sharing. Beautiful pictures and fantastic write ups... I especially liked Wai Jia's naration..
Thanks! Glad you are inspired by her write up!

Lets Play
5065090790_77eac981ed_z.jpg

The location? Written on the wall behind the kid. Aromas
This is where he live, play and work at the same place.
Behind him is a make shift basket ball court as well as living squatters.
Perhaps the cleanest set of clothes they have is their own skin. Despite being poor, i was never came upon any Begger or any kids asking me for $. They did have some request from us. Make a guess...
Answer: I had numerous request for their photos to be taken. I guess they love to have their photos to be taken.

History
Aroma - The housing is particularly famous for its distinct smell. It comprises of many deserted warehouses ‘transformed’ by the Philippine government into so-called livable housing units.

Super Hero Jerry

5407562276_398b0d60bb_z.jpg

This photo is dedicated to Jerry, A kid i met in Ulingan.
Jerry is perhaps the only person in my world has deeply touch and move me sincerely. He is such a smart and affectionate kid.

I vividly remember my first trip to Ulingan with Thomas. When Jerry know it was our last day in Ulingan, he offered to walk us out of Ulingan. During our walk out, Jerry suddenly held my hand and Aji hands tightly to his heart and Said "I will never forget you, i will always remember your faces and names. I hope you come back" This was his words that literally melt me inside out.

I was back there on 30th Jan 2011 and Jerry actually wrote a letter to me and one for Thomas. He got my name wrong. HAHA. I have attach the letters below. Home made letter with colour paper. I know he will grow up to be a fine young man.

This is one of the reason i decided to help these kids even more. They deserve better. Progress might be slow but i know one day we will reach there.

Nice series... I hope you will post also the other side of the Philippines.

Nice series... I hope you will post also the other side of the Philippines.

Hi Kerstian,
Thank you for your comments. If i do happen to visit the scenic places in Philippines i will post them. Would you like to help this kids?

Cheers!

Brother in Arms
4924027546_4724a156fb_z.jpg

This photo was taken on the main road just outside of Aromas (Happy Land). The brothers have just finish their scavenging across the street and they are preparing to return home in Aromas. While the brother's were running across the busy main road, i saw the elder brother held on tight to his younger brother arms and i instinctively held my camera up to pan n shot this photo.
Initially i was quite disappointed with the vehicle which suddenly pull up on my right side but after reviewing it on my computer i came to realize it actually fill up the empty space on the right side which make this photo much more interesting and our visual is more directed to the boys.

This is perhaps one of my favorite shot during my short stay in Philippines. The elder brother display a very warm brotherly love towards his younger brother. They might be living in poverty but they have a strong brotherly bond which really touch me. Perhaps they have only one another to depend on. We might never know for sure.

Ulingan, Tondo - Charcoal Factory

5953012758_33e30a719c_z.jpg

Charcoal Factory of Tondo, Manila.

We can see the man in the boy... They do say, show me a boy of seven, and I shall show you the man.....
So much rough wood and splinters... Just one of the hazards..