Help on choosing binoculars

samsam1997

Nov 2, 2010
Can anyone help me in choosing binoculars? I've set my eyes on the nikon prostaff and monarch but not sure which one is the best buy. If there's any kind soul which can gimme some advice?

Nikon Monarch

short story - Better.

Long story -
Monarch is higher end, focus quicker and the optics are better. It costs more. Hey, you only buy binos once in a long while.
So don't buy and change, buy and change. Get the better one - get it right the first time.

• All lenses and prisms are multilayer-coated for the brightest images
  • Phase-correction-coated roof prisms for high resolution
  • High-reflection mirror-coating prism for bright image
  • High-eyepoint design provides a clear field of view, even for eyeglass wearers
  • Close focusing distance: 2.5m
  • Eco-glass optics that are free of lead and arsenic are used for all lenses and prisms
  • Waterproof (up to 1m/3.3 ft. for 5 minutes) and fog-free with nitrogen gas
  • Turn-and-slide rubber eyecups facilitate easy positioning of eyes at the correct eyepoint
  • Rubber armouring for shock resistance and a firm, comfortable grip
  • Lightweight body uses fibreglass-reinforced polycarbonate resin
  • Wide strap
  • Can be fixed to a tripod using optional tripod adaptor

Last edited:
There was an old thread on this subject with detail explanations contributed by forumers. That was when I started searching for bino. In The end I got myself monarch 8x36 ATB. Very good quality and cost me 300 plus.

TERRA ED binoculars from ZEISS
Zeiss Terra ED Binoculars - Optics4Birding.com
Zeiss Terra ED: First Look - BirdForum

The value propositions for good binoculars is rapidly evolving. What used to cost a few thousands is now almost available for mere hundreds. I could not have imagined a Zeiss bin for $400 plus a few years back. Rather good initial reviews.
stage_terraed_980x448.jpg

@ An drew may I know where to get it? But I tot zeiss binos are like super expensive? Sorry noob here

@ An drew may I know where to get it? But I tot zeiss binos are like super expensive? Sorry noob here

Sorry I am not sure where. I would normally ask Cathay Photo or Alan Photo. Although their prices would be higher than overseas, you can get it immediately.

So far the only place I know is ebay and the online shops in US.
e.g. ZEISS TERRA 8X42 BINOCULARS NEW, hunting birding | eBay

I have a Nikon monarch ATB, very good quality but a bit weighty if you are ok with it.

See my WTS ad for a pair of LEICA's :)

Interesting. But out of my budget leh still studying pok kai already lah. Unless you gimme 75% off hehehe

Hi samsam1997 and all,

We have a very good promotion on Japanese binoculars now, if you are still looking for one. Get it for National Day events or the coming F1 Grand Prix. :)

See below for details:
McGill Commercial House

Cheers.