Gopro App for FPV for Phantom 2 possible?

filmaker

Oct 12, 2012
Singapore
Hi, I would need some advice on this as I have just started into Aerial Videography. My main purpose is to record cool Aerial videos for short films using DJI Phantom 2 using Hero3. These is the following I would purchase first:
Phantom 2, H3-3D & GoPro Hero 3.
However I am on low budget at the start, can I use the Gopro app on my iPad/iphone and use as my FPV instead of purchasing those expensive transmitter first? Am i able to fly and record using this method?Please advice

Hi, I would need some advice on this as I have just started into Aerial Videography. My main purpose is to record cool Aerial videos for short films using DJI Phantom 2 using Hero3. These is the following I would purchase first:
Phantom 2, H3-3D & GoPro Hero 3.
However I am on low budget at the start, can I use the Gopro app on my iPad/iphone and use as my FPV instead of purchasing those expensive transmitter first? Am i able to fly and record using this method?Please advice

I don't see why not but there will be a range limitation...

I wouldn't bother with it.

1. Range is really short, I could barely get 10m with it.

2. Wifi might have interference with your transmitter.

Do not enable wifi on your Hero 3 when its attached to your Phantom 2 unless you want to risk a very expensive flyaway.

The Gopros wifi which is running at 2.4ghz will interfere with the Phantom 2's transmitter/receiver which is also running on that frequency. Get a proper 5.8ghz video transmitter instead.

Agree with the last two posts -- in fact the manuals/instructions state that you shouldn't do that.

Agree with the last two posts -- in fact the manuals/instructions state that you shouldn't do that.

Seems like have to spend more money on accessories to get d FPV capability.

Thanks all for the advice ! Yeah I will take note!

Seems like have to spend more money on accessories to get d FPV capability.

Yeah proper fpv makes vision plus look like a bargain.

the Phantom2, phantom2+ and FC40 uses 5.8Ghz transmitter/ receiver. You can use the gopro wifi with no problems but the lag and range is not worth the hassle. For framing shots etc maybe ok

the Phantom2, phantom2+ and FC40 uses 5.8Ghz transmitter/ receiver. You can use the gopro wifi with no problems but the lag and range is not worth the hassle. For framing shots etc maybe ok

Doesn't P2 use 2.4?

Please get your facts right. Only the Phantom 2 VISION, Phantom 2 Vision+ and Phantom FC40 uses 5.8Ghz. The plain vanilla Phantom and Phantom 2 uses 2.4 Ghz. Basically anything that comes using a DJI made camera (not Gopro) and allows FPV via Iphone/Android devices uses 5.8Ghz.

Please get your facts right. Only the Phantom 2 VISION, Phantom 2 Vision+ and Phantom FC40 uses 5.8Ghz. The plain vanilla Phantom and Phantom 2 uses 2.4 Ghz. Basically anything that comes using a DJI made camera (not Gopro) and allows FPV via Iphone/Android devices uses 5.8Ghz.

dont be an ass lah. reply properly. sorry if i missed the word VISION.

gopro apps on the ios/android is very slow/not real-time and limited by distance.

There many cheap add-ons on the market that use the gopro hdmi output to transmit the video signal @ 5.8G, do a check for gopro+FPV

Last edited: