Getting first DSLR

xoner

Oct 18, 2010
Hi , i have been told of this place from my friend, I know such thread always appear in this section so bare with me

i have zero experience in photography , so this is my first DSLR , after reading through internet and stuff

i have limited my choice to

cannon - 550d/60d ( which friend recommend for best bang for buck )
sony - a33/a55

i have tried a55/33 over sony style and here are some stuff i like about it , higher fps , faster focus , continuous AF in video , size is smaller and weight is lighter , body IS , SLT new technology , not sure how much OVF and EVF differ since i nvr use any before plus sony lens are cheaper in general i guess

i have also went to the cannon showroom in vivo and tried out 550d and 60d , apart from the articulating lcd , build material , 60d have a dial controller which seems useful but have a safety lock for the mode selection which will take some time to get used to

would the DSLT lose out to the traditional DSLR in the long run

I'd rather ask "will DSLR lose out to SLT in the long run".

If comparing to the A33/A55, the 60D has some pros and cons. But quite frankly, the A33/A55 have so many advantages it's not even funny - especially when you consider the price.

The main weakness is the A33/A55 have a poor battery life compared to other DSLR cameras, including Sony's own A550/580.

Hi . . . welcome to CS . . .

Read more here and you will know which to get . . .

There is a sub forum on buying guide so you can check out the best price to get your lovely toy . . . :)

Do your homework and welcome to CS!

I'd rather ask "will DSLR lose out to SLT in the long run".

If comparing to the A33/A55, the 60D has some pros and cons. But quite frankly, the A33/A55 have so many advantages it's not even funny - especially when you consider the price.

The main weakness is the A33/A55 have a poor battery life compared to other DSLR cameras, including Sony's own A550/580.

are those stuff which i listed like faster focus , fps advantages you mean ?

how does the a55/33 battery life last ? since its using EVF i believe it really take up more juice from the battery

are those stuff which i listed like faster focus , fps advantages you mean ?

how does the a55/33 battery life last ? since its using EVF i believe it really take up more juice from the battery

1. Built-in anti-shake, so you get antishake with all lenses.
2. Fast autofocus in video
3. Fast autofocus in liveview
4. 10 fps, no mirror slap
5. Sweep panorama, built-in HDR, GPS

Both have a good, articulating LCD.

The battery will last about 300-500 shots, depending on how often you flip through all your pictures on the screen. Enough for a nice outing, but for "all day away from the hotel" travel, a spare battery is advisable, especially if you do a lot of video.

The Sony A580 (a more traditional DSLR) also has some of those advantages, but it's bigger, though the battery life is very very very good.

Thansk Rashkae , you seems to have quite alot of knowledge on alpha camera based on your sig

price guide over here doenst cover the a55/a33 , looks like i have to call around to ask

guess i will play around with a55 and 60d longer to see which one suit me best

How much would this question affect your images? Despite many many technical developments there are still a lot of people out there producing stunning pictures with simple DSLR or even SLR and film, manually... Don't get fooled by "higher these, faster that" .. these are options and possibilities that only a few people really utilize in some special situations. Do you buy a 7 seater just because 2 times per year you need to ferry your entire family for birthday gathering? :)
Btw: although we use the term 'shoot' the camera brand is just Canon :) (not 'cannon'..)

The cameras listed are all very good. If you are new, you might be more adaptable to EVF's as well. Both brands have cheap and expensive lenses. Go to the price guides section to check them out yourself.

I can't see any system (ie. DSLR/SLT) running over the other atm, not these few camera bodies anyway.

Welcome to CS!

Good luck on your camera hunt. Whatever system you choose in the end, the basics are all the same. Remember skill is more important than knowing which camera to buy. In the end your skills are portable across all kinds of cameras, including PnS.

Good start here:

Camera basics
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309544

Composition
http://www.amateursnapper.com/photog...position-rules
http://digital-photography-school.co...mposition-tips
http://www.digital-photography-school.com/10-more-quick-composition-tips-illustrated

Flash photography
http://www.gentleye.com/photo/photoart/advflash/index.html
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=171657

More topics covered here:
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials.htm

Thanks all for the warm welcome , i really think the A55 might suit me more because of the size and weight and the whole loads of new feature in it for that price

My only concern would be the overheating issue ( even when doing stills and not video ) and the low battery issue which i have read alot on the DSLT

anyone with those body able to share any overheating issue?

Thanks all for the warm welcome , i really think the A55 might suit me more because of the size and weight and the whole loads of new feature in it for that price

My only concern would be the overheating issue ( even when doing stills and not video ) and the low battery issue which i have read alot on the DSLT

anyone with those body able to share any overheating issue?
just curious: what camera do you own/use now, and will your usage change much with the purchase of your new camera?

the point I'm trying to get at is if you're gonna be walking around with the LCD on for like half an hour, or taking videos perpetually on what is, for all intents and purposes, a digital STILL camera....

just curious: what camera do you own/use now, and will your usage change much with the purchase of your new camera?

the point I'm trying to get at is if you're gonna be walking around with the LCD on for like half an hour, or taking videos perpetually on what is, for all intents and purposes, a digital STILL camera....

hi , i do not own any camera now and this will be my first dslr purchase

hi , i do not own any camera now and this will be my first dslr purchase

of the models you stated get the canon 550. Or wait for the nikon D7000 which is a smarter choice. As for sony I will buy their videocamera.

d90 kit is a good choice now as the d7000 released date looms nearer

first time to DSLR.... it will be really confusing for you since there will be many things to learn and find out.

If you are not in a rush, take your time to read about the different brand of camera and what they can offer. Read review from camera magazine and reputable site like dpreview.com. Ask your friend if you can borrow use his camera for a small shoot outing and get the feel of it.

If not... don't really need to think, just get what most of your friends are using... because there will be no end to it comparing the pro and cons of each brand and model. And there is certainly more pro have many friends using a similar system.

Thanks for all the replies , i read about the released of D7000 which is close to end of nov ? i believe

i will be going for a 2 weeks trip in japan in december and wish to get a dslr to get some good picture out of this trip

if i would to wait for d7000 , i am not sure if i have enough time to get used to using a dslr thus i wish to make a purchase in the following weeks

i do not really have alot of friends who are really into photography except for one who is using 7d and recommend me 550d and i have 2 releative who uses canon ( 50d and 500d )

Thanks for all the replies , i read about the released of D7000 which is close to end of nov ? i believe

i will be going for a 2 weeks trip in japan in december and wish to get a dslr to get some good picture out of this trip

if i would to wait for d7000 , i am not sure if i have enough time to get used to using a dslr thus i wish to make a purchase in the following weeks

i do not really have alot of friends who are really into photography except for one who is using 7d and recommend me 550d and i have 2 releative who uses canon ( 50d and 500d )

As you described, it will be good if u could get a camera asap before your trip to familiarise with its functionalities and pick up photography knowledge.
If u consider Nikon, D90 is a good buy to start with photography.

As you described, it will be good if u could get a camera asap before your trip to familiarise with its functionalities and pick up photography knowledge.
If u consider Nikon, D90 is a good buy to start with photography.

Thanks for the D90 recommendation , i really would like one asap before the trip and for now my choice would be either the a55/a33 or the 550d/60d probly because i have tried handling all this model for some time already