Getting first DSLR

Thanks for the D90 recommendation , i really would like one asap before the trip and for now my choice would be either the a55/a33 or the 550d/60d probly because i have tried handling all this model for some time already

Buy whichever feels the best to you. And remember to get spare batteries too for your japan trip, more so for A33 or A55 since they suck up juice a lot more. A33/55 will give you 300-500 shots on a full charge. That would be on average about a half day worth of shooting on a tour. I recommend you get at least 2 or 3 more batteries, now that the weather is turning cold also.

And 60D I do not really think is worth the money since comparing to a 50D, it seems more like a slight step backwards. You will do better with the 7D or 550D.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies , i read about the released of D7000 which is close to end of nov ? i believe

i will be going for a 2 weeks trip in japan in december and wish to get a dslr to get some good picture out of this trip

if i would to wait for d7000 , i am not sure if i have enough time to get used to using a dslr thus i wish to make a purchase in the following weeks

i do not really have alot of friends who are really into photography except for one who is using 7d and recommend me 550d and i have 2 releative who uses canon ( 50d and 500d )
I have observed that many newbies tend to ask questions that can be answered by flipping through the user manual, so my conclusion is that most people don't like (or don't bother) to read the manual.
In this case, it might be beneficial to have someone whom you can ask those mundane questions (eg. "eh, how do I change the EV?"). If you have such a person who is familar with Canon user interface, then perhaps you should get a Canon DSLR.
Is there any Canon DSLR which you've tried and feels comfortable (i.e. nice to hold and operate) ?

I have observed that many newbies tend to ask questions that can be answered by flipping through the user manual, so my conclusion is that most people don't like (or don't bother) to read the manual.
In this case, it might be beneficial to have someone whom you can ask those mundane questions (eg. "eh, how do I change the EV?"). If you have such a person who is familar with Canon user interface, then perhaps you should get a Canon DSLR.
Is there any Canon DSLR which you've tried and feels comfortable (i.e. nice to hold and operate) ?

So far , i have only tried 550d and 60d and find both ergonomic to be quite nice , i have small hands so the grip of both fit nicely

so far the only thing tat i see 60d is better than 550d is that it have better af , articulating lcd , faster fps but i am not sure if the $$ difference is worth it to get 60d over 550d

you should buy my k20d.

just kidding.

jokes aside, most cameras are fine when you start out. just be clear on whether you like the handling.

i do not really have alot of friends who are really into photography except for one who is using 7d and recommend me 550d and i have 2 releative who uses canon ( 50d and 500d )

And 60D I do not really think is worth the money since comparing to a 50D, it seems more like a slight step backwards. You will do better with the 7D or 550D.

If you have such a person who is familar with Canon user interface, then perhaps you should get a Canon DSLR.

I would strongly suggest ts to get a canon dslr. benefits already mentioned above. Ask your friend to come along when making the purchase.

I would strongly suggest ts to get a canon dslr. benefits already mentioned above. Ask your friend to come along when making the purchase.

i'm sorry, i don't see how "having relatives with canon" or "being familiar with canon interface" is actually a plus point to using canon.

in today's context, that's like saying that if you are familiar with pc, you should always stick to using pc. if the mac becomes better for your purposes, why not use the mac?

also, loads of people buy based on "my friends have canon", "my pet dog uses canon", then they soon realise that it is damn bloody hard to borrow lenses or accessories from the pet dog and friends and relatives. something to take note of.

hence, these are moot points for me.

I was initially dumbfounded about about what the new sony a33 and a55 can do, so i did a little readup, cause i am trying to convince myself that I dont need to change my nikon D90. HAHA..

Anyway, just to point out a few main disadvantage that personally put me off. The small handgrip, its a little too small I feel, gripping becomes uncomfortable, with a slightly larger lens, camera will point downwards while hanging from your neck, not that its not good (protects your lens surface from unintentional prints from 3rd party contact). Short battery life (maybe they will have a battery grip soon). And i am particularly worried about the lack of light falling on the sensor. Because there is no mirror flipup, some light (30%) is reflected by the transparent mirror for auto focusing purpose, I think. Losing some light might reduce shutter speed inorder to let in more light? Of course they say they have a better sensor thus dont need as much light for the same resolution on another camera, but imagine this sensor on a DSLR, it would mean faster imaging and shutter, or does it? :)

But the 10fps really got me excited, and of course alot other pros. But i am sticking to my nikon. :)

Got a lof of info from here. http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/AA55/AA55A.HTM have a look

i would say... since you're new to photography, get the cheaper alternative. the A55 is a camera that is good for beginners as it has so many features packed into it, so you can play around with them, get a hang of the basics... and it's pretty much affordable..

yea and... don't use a brand just because your friends are using it. tried before, and not once has anyone agreed to lend me lenses..zZzZzZ haha.

anyways. heading to Japan? i went there with a Fujifilm F200EXR and got pretty much alot of good shots. a DSLR is just another platform for you to take pictures. once u learn the basics, pretty much anything u can do, even with a simple Point-and-Shoot.

i'm sorry, i don't see how "having relatives with canon" or "being familiar with canon interface" is actually a plus point to using canon.

in today's context, that's like saying that if you are familiar with pc, you should always stick to using pc. if the mac becomes better for your purposes, why not use the mac?

also, loads of people buy based on "my friends have canon", "my pet dog uses canon", then they soon realise that it is damn bloody hard to borrow lenses or accessories from the pet dog and friends and relatives. something to take note of.

I agree with you that having friends using the same brand of DSLR should actually be of least concern when choosing one.

It was just my observation from outings that newbie Canon users (for example, not pointing them out in any way) tend to gravitate toward a more experienced Canon user, like a 'crutch'. Don't wanna get into discussing the reasons why this is the case, but it's just something I observed.

Agree.
Friends using, so easy to borrow lens is a very often used 'selling point' that I see being thrown around so often.
Is it that true in reality?
I guess depends on each persons disposition and certainly no guarantee.
Borrowing the lens is also troublesome for both parties unless meet up is often so that it is easily borrowed and returned.
There is also the grey area of minor blemishes incurred during the loan. Pay for it? Accept payment (and appear to be a "cheap jerk" of a friend) ? Keep quiet and have the bad vibes build up? etc.
Of course straight out damage is easy. Just pay up :)

Last edited:

I won't disagree with you as these points are valid too.
However, there are too many choices for a newbie to chose from.
I just like to cut it short and chose something that he can relate to.(in some ways at least)
It is not based on the ergonomic, price nor performance.
Most brand do cover a wide range of needs and try to out do each other in performance.
There will be no end to it.
Do get a hands on feel operating the camera before making the purchase. You will definitely want to be happy parting with a sum of money for an expensive equipment.

I'm not suggesting borrowing lens... though it maybe possible if you are just trying it out or your friend don't use it anymore.

PS. I would strongly recommend the latest, most sort after, soon to be released camera D7000. :devil: cos I am a Nikon user. :p

Last edited:
you might want to have a list like this when deciding which one to get.

1. budget
2. which area of photography will you be doing. eg. portraits, lanscape, sports, bird, insect macro....
3. lens availability, performance and price
4. ergonomics
5. add more to the list....

you might want to have a list like this when deciding which one to get.

1. budget
2. which area of photography will you be doing. eg. portraits, lanscape, sports, bird, insect macro....
3. lens availability, performance and price
4. ergonomics
5. add more to the list....

Thanks all for the advice

1: 2k++
2: landscape and portraits is where i am interested in
3 : none totadly new into dslr
4: have small hand so not heavy gun would be ok which the 550d or the a55 size fits nicely

4: have small hand so not heavy gun would be ok which the 550d or the a55 size fits nicely
if not restricted by brand, then should consider Pentax, Olympus also...

Pentax K-x has good 'bang for your buck' quotient.

Nikon D3100 also quite nice n small size :devil:

If you are open to other brands the new Pentax Kr is a viable choice at this price range.
Price from SLR Revolution in Funan.
Pentax kr 18-55 kit (Black, White and Pink only) = $921
Pentax kr 18-55, 50-200 Dual kit (Black only) = $1070

The camera brings with it features like :
1. On camera shake reduction (SR)
2. High ISO capability up to 12800
3. Choice between LiOn and conventional AA batteries
4. Auto aligned HDR capture
5. Custom noise reduction for all ISO levels
6. Fine auto-focus adjustment for auto focus lenses.

Many of these features are found only on much higher end and more expensive cameras, so this is a very value for money camera.

Here is a recent review done by a fellow CSer.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=778924

More info on specs and features here :
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/pentaxkr/

http://www.dpreview.com dpreview is a good source for independent review of the different camera available and it is really extensive for the camera body and pns.

Its this site and imaging resource as far as cameras go, since they provide good sample photos for the reader to compare and analyze. The bad thing about DPReview is their conclusion page which can (and has been) be a bit. So in the end, the best way to use them is to look over the sample and comparison photos. The photos will give a more objective view than a conclusion page written by someone else anyway. :)

http://www.dpreview.com dpreview is a good source for independent review of the different camera available and it is really extensive for the camera body and pns.

i do think that imaging resource tends to be more neutral.

i've seen reviews in dpreview where the summary page seems to sing praises about the camera and then the final scoring is very disappointing despite all of that, and minimal cons (or similar to cameras of other brands, but those have less plus points). if you get what i mean.. in the first place, how can you score a camera? :bsmilie:

buy some other brands instead... poison your friends/relatives until they jump camp to join you!