Fuji X-E1 and new compact coming!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yay!! We got a winner!!

Unsurprisingly most of my friends placed their bets on Set 3 to be a full-framer. Unfortunately for them I am $105 richer :) Yes. Set 3 is from the X-E1. The details & noise control is outstanding! My brief analysis of the three systems while I recover from a sore shoulder ..

Set 1: M9 - A thoroughbred with an analogue brain. High ISO is weak (think ISO 1600 film) and you get the picture. Grainy .. noisy .. but still useable to a certain extent. High lens dependency and extremely capable under the right condition. DNG files can be massaged for far better output.

Set 2: D600 - For those deciding between the X-E1 and D600: The RAW file from the D600 will blow the X-E1 away. The DR, highlights etc are all there waiting to be unleashed if you love to tinker. Coupled with tons of customization and add-ons the D600 is a different class altogether. Fast and accurate AF makes it suitable for a wide genre in a bulkier body.

Set 3: X-E1 - The X-E1 has a 'show hand' approach. The jpegs are pretty close to what you get from those processed from Silkypix. Prob 5% more? The details from jpegs are amazing. Loves to flaunt its ISO might with nicely rendered colors. However there are cases whereby details are lost with blown highlights with the aggressive use of high ISO. AF is reasonably fast in good lighting but it's no OMD. If you look carefully at the tree shots the DOF is also noticeably deeper (even when wide open f1.4) so not really for bokeh-lover.

lol but not a fair comparison la...

The Fuji 35mm 1.4 resolving power so high, and at 1.4 able to use lower ISO compares to the other two. Lenses are equally important too :)

but all 3 are great cameras! Choose your own poison!!!

Redshutter said:

The Fuji 35mm 1.4 resolving power so high, and at 1.4 able to use lower ISO compares to the other two. Lenses are equally important too :)

On a price point. If u dun need FF sensor. X-E1 is a steal.

Xavierlin said:
Did you use a X Pro 1 before?
The X E 1's V1.0 firmware is the same as X Pro 1 V1.0
X E 1's V1.0 firmware do not operate equivalent to X Pro V2.0

Can any other X Pro 1 owner confirm my findings as well?

X Pro 1 owners can try X E 1 & will know what I mean.

X E 1 starts up slow and AF lock slower and hunts more. Just like when i had the X Pro 1' V1.0.

Been using my friend's X Pro 1 with updated firmware and tried it with my own Xf35 and XF60. Performance wise about the same as my X-E1 v.1.0.

Yes, lenses and bodies all updated.

If AF speed is significantly slower on your X-E1, I think no harm sending it back to Fuji for "checkup".

Btw, migrated from Canon 5D3 and Leica M9. Don't miss these cameras at all with the X-E1.

impresza said:
The shops have only dummy sets of the x-e1. Does anyone know if there is a Fuji showroom, or shops that have actual sets, for customers to try the actual camera?

Got! Harvey Norman at hougang mall. Just played with it. But it's going at 2109

felicidade1 said:
Been using my friend's X Pro 1 with updated firmware and tried it with my own Xf35 and XF60. Performance wise about the same as my X-E1 v.1.0.

Yes, lenses and bodies all updated.

If AF speed is significantly slower on your X-E1, I think no harm sending it back to Fuji for "checkup".

Btw, migrated from Canon 5D3 and Leica M9. Don't miss these cameras at all with the X-E1.

Agree. Just done testing at bro pit14's place. No diff in AF speed, locking on accuracy n hunting. We did a few test on different subjects at different distance and different lighting. All d same outcome for both X-E1 n X Pro 1.

1/3 stop diff of f1.4 to f2 is negligible la. I have tested and there is no diff in ISO used. The 50 cron is one of the sharpest lens in the Leica family and the Af-S 50mm 1.8G is well known among Nikonians. How is that unfair? Obviously comparison between a RF, DSLR and CSC is never fair but it does shows how far technology has come. Yes .. all 3 are great and choose yr poison carefully :)

Agree. Just done testing at bro pit14's place. No diff in AF speed, locking on accuracy n hunting. We did a few test on different subjects at different distance and different lighting. All d same outcome for both X-E1 n X Pro 1.

A friend who is using the XP1 did feedback that the XE1 is a tad faster though .. prob a placebo.

A friend who is using the XP1 did feedback that the XE1 is a tad faster though .. prob a placebo.

Depends on situation... Maybe just a tad in low light... in good lights... XP1 is as fast as X-E1 as we have tested...

Dear fellow X E1 user,

What is the filmware for your body?

My X E1 version is 1.0.

And I can't use the filmware I downloaded for my ex-X Pro1.

Anyone of you can guide me along to upgrade it?

I am unable to find the filmware 2.0 on the Fuji website.

Thanks in advance

I just checked mine,
Body : 1.01
Lens (35mm) : 2.01

I just checked mine,

Hi, is your body a X-E1 or X-Pro1? My X-E1 is still on 1.00 and I don't seem to find any 1.01 firmware for it yet.

terencek888 said:
Hi, is your body a X-E1 or X-Pro1? My X-E1 is still on 1.00 and I don't seem to find any 1.01 firmware for it yet.

Think his is XP1.

I confirm again, like the other just did. No difference. Maybe your body is fully functional but you still should send it back.
I tested the XP1 before, have the X-E1 now, and did the test again with a XP1 / no difference at all. Confirmed by the bros here..

From the quick test we did yesterday, I cannot feel any difference in focussing speed and accuracy between both XPro1 & XE1. Probably you could email to Fuji and ask them to double confirm? Its possible that your camera have issues.

Bro, if your Xpro1 body is firmware 1.01, you should upgrade it to the latest firmware V2.0.

I just checked mine,

Body is X-E1. Bought on 31st Oct. in Jakarta.

Body is X-E1. Bought on 31st Oct. in Jakarta.

X-E1? Body firmware is 1.01? Hmm... I rem mine is only 1.00. Is there an update what we do not know of??

X-E1? Body firmware is 1.01? Hmm... I rem mine is only 1.00. Is there an update what we do not know of??

Currently, there is no X-E1's FW update to DL on Fuji website. I find AF is on par of what you see on youtube's XE1 AF test. I am quite sure that there's nothing on FW 1.01 (body) that significantly different with 1.00.

Here's a pic,

Currently, there is no X-E1's FW update to DL on Fuji website. I find AF is on par of what you see on youtube's XE1 AF test. I am quite sure that there's nothing on FW 1.01 (body) that significantly different with 1.00.

Here's a pic,

:confused:

I bought my X-E1 from SLR revolution on the 21 Oct 2012. Just checked my body firmware, it is v1.01 as well. But there is nothing on Fuji website yet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.