'Friendly' Software

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please read my post again - my question was based on the assumption that the PRC labelled media are genuine original products made under license in the PRC. This has nothign to do with pirated media.
Yes, but in a country like PRC, it is still questionable because it's hard to tell. Hologram stickers are cheap there! They can sell a million copies and tell you only the sold 10,000 and only pay the royalties for 10,000. Such is the practices and ethics in PRC. Give them a few more years to get their IPR and FTA enforced. ;)

But if you are really sure that the product has an authentic licence, then it is legitimate no matter where it is purchased from.

When I bought my Adobe CS, I got a free upgrade to CS2. Sent in the receipt and waited for 3 months, nothing happened. So I emailed twice more to inquire status, still no reply. Then I called support line. A staff told me the upgrade period is over. I explained that I did send by post before deadline. One day later, they informed me that I am eligible for the upgrade, which made me feel better. To my surprise, they delivered a big box by Fedex that just contained a small box of CS2. Looked quite impressive. Now every time when I launch Photoshop, feel very good for the ownership. Last time I used freeware/shareware here and there, nowadays I just spend more time to learn Adobe. Besides Adobe, I also paid for licensed Macromedia and MS Office. Peace of mind. One lisence allows me to install on both my home desktop and laptop. I use open-source tools for everything else. Bad thing is: it makes me difficult to switch to Mac coz otherwise I got to purchase another lisence..
good point there. when you legally purchase a license, you enjoy a better piece of mind (especially for commercial usage).

(then again, there will be some who say, how to have piece of mind when i've already spent so much $ :bsmilie: )

i've learnt about this: another cost-saving way is legally purchase a key by getting a 2nd hand legacy Photoshop, like version 5, then purchase the upgrade.

is this ok? the 1st owner can 'transfer' the license right?

That may or may not be true, but my point was directed towards the slooow's post that "as long as you see PRC labels in singapore, it is illegal liao". his earlier sentence also seems directed towards legitimate genuine media made in China under license.

Yes, but in a country like PRC, it is still questionable because it's hard to tell. Hologram stickers are cheap there! They can sell a million copies and tell you only the sold 10,000 and only pay the royalties for 10,000. Such is the practices and ethics in PRC. Give them a few more years to get their IPR and FTA enforced. ;)

PRC labelled Music Videos, Audios, DVDs or anything related is suppose to be for CHINA market:)

as long as you see PRC labels in singapore, it is illegal liao...

good point there. when you legally purchase a license, you enjoy a better piece of mind (especially for commercial usage).

(then again, there will be some who say, how to have piece of mind when i've already spent so much $ :bsmilie: )

i've learnt about this: another cost-saving way is legally purchase a key by getting a 2nd hand legacy Photoshop, like version 5, then purchase the upgrade.

whoever owns the key (aka the box or the cd-sleeve) owns the license...

IIRC, in most EULA, you cannot sell/transfer the old license if you have purchased an upgrade at an upgrade price. You'll have to hold on to your old licenses also. ;)

Are you allowed to install the Adobe on both the notebook and the desktop? :dunno: I know Macromedia allows that. ;)
1 license, max 2 CPU, suppose that you won't run together. But sometimes I actually run together to speed up post-processing. Once it happened that my harddisk crashed, and no way to terminate the installed license. I got to call the support center (definitely located in overseas due to the poor connection) to activate my license.

he self pwning prophecy... :bsmilie: later MS & Adobe come look for him... :bsmilie:
I think MS also allows that on the basis that the desktop is not in use when you're using the notebook and vice versa. :) so probably MS won't look for him. Hahaha...

to tomshen
Thanks for the clarification.. So as long as you open only one copy even when both machines are running is fine, right?

That's the best thing about using legitimate software. Tech support is just a phonecall away. And you get peace of mind. :thumbsup:

I think he's talking about buying an old version from someone else (who may or may not have upgraded).

IIRC, in most EULA, you cannot sell/transfer the old license if you have purchased an upgrade at an upgrade price. You'll have to hold on to your old licenses also. ;)

I know many people on eBay did that. Not sure how Adobe sees it, I am fine with that ;p

I think he's talking about buying an old version from someone else (who may or may not have upgraded).
Then I presume it's fine.. if you get the entire package.. If the seller has upgraded and sold away his older copy, he would be the one using the illegal software. :)

I think MS also allows that on the basis that the desktop is not in use when you're using the notebook and vice versa. :) so probably MS won't look for him. Hahaha...

to tomshen
Thanks for the clarification.. So as long as you open only one copy even when both machines are running is fine, right?

That's the best thing about using legitimate software. Tech support is just a phonecall away. And you get peace of mind. :thumbsup:
The limitation is mostly for production office setup, say if you have 4 PC/Mac in an office, you need to buy 4 lisences instead of 2 sharing them together. If you got 4 lisence then surely no problem to run another few laoptop for presentation purpose etc, light usage.

Exactly, its not the buyer's problem :)

Then I presume it's fine.. if you get the entire package.. If the seller has upgraded and sold away his older copy, he would be the one using the illegal software. :)

My gripe with prices for software is :

Students get a lower price (no offence to students here)........

Can you tell me that with the student packages MS and others are not making a profit:dunno:

There is also "open source" programs that often do just the same job and are generally free.

One can buy "Star Office" and be compatible with MS office at a fraction of the cost.

Then there is "The Gimp"... probably many others.

It is said that there is production costs with Adobe and MS Office blah blah.

We pay for the name and hype, and it becomes another "MUST HAVE".

I would like to hear from someone that uses totally non-bigname software and produces quality/satisfying outputs.

I will follow their lead :thumbsup:

My gripe with prices for software is :

Students get a lower price (no offence to students here)........

Can you tell me that with the student packages MS and others are not making a profit:dunno:

There is also "open source" programs that often do just the same job and are generally free.

One can buy "Star Office" and be compatible with MS office at a fraction of the cost.

Then there is "The Gimp"... probably many others.

It is said that there is production costs with Adobe and MS Office blah blah.

We pay for the name and hype, and it becomes another "MUST HAVE".

I would like to hear from someone that uses totally non-bigname software and produces quality/satisfying outputs.

I will follow their lead :thumbsup:
GIMP works fine for me. :)

Adobe and MS needs to pay programmers to write. Open source programmers generally write as a hobby and is free. That's why the price difference! But of course you cannot expect much from them because you would be using a product of a hobby.

No, you live in the real world. Piracy advocates (or practitioners) wisely stay away from threads like these, but there are definitely much more illegal SW around than original stuff.

Yes, how true. I see so often CSers using entry level gear, but CS2 software - I am very sure that person wouldn't pay for the CS2! The price of the CS2 doesn't match his/her gear!:)

GIMP works fine for me. :)

Adobe and MS needs to pay programmers to write. Open source programmers generally write as a hobby and is free. That's why the price difference! But of course you cannot expect much from them because you would be using a product of a hobby.
For example, I tried one freeware called irfanview - a browser with limited editing software. It sucks bigtime and I deleted it away. However, Picasa is in another league - so well written and works flawlessly.

For example, I tried one freeware called irfanview - a browser with limited editing software. It sucks bigtime and I deleted it away. However, Picasa is in another league - so well written and works flawlessly.
Hahaha.. On the contrary, I am someone who find Irfanview very convenient for simple things like cropping and viewing. Don't think it can do much other than that. ;)

Yes, how true. I see so often CSers using entry level gear, but CS2 software - I am very sure that person wouldn't pay for the CS2! The price of the CS2 doesn't match his/her gear!:)
Flawed logic. What kind of gear would you expect to 'match' CS2? FYI, I bought my CS2 way before I got a DSLR. And now, I'm 'only' using an entry DSLR, should I stop using CS2?

Status
Not open for further replies.