Finally, Singapore purchase new Main Battle Tank : Leopard 2A4

Status
Not open for further replies.
sitting on top you at most get hit with bullets or shrapnels. chances of actually dying is not very high. sitting inside, especially the thin-skinned (relatively speaking) M113, you will be cooked when a HEAT round penetrates or vapourise the aluminum armour. chances of dying is almost guaranteed.

tankie's life is not bad already lah. at least don't have to hump the route on your feet like infantry. or be beast of burden like combat engineers. I have done all three and I can say I much prefer to be in a tank or APC :lovegrin:

hehehe... yah... now that you put it this way... :bsmilie:

yah in fact had I known better then, I would have volunteer for AVLB, pay also higher.

You regular? I thought Reservist pay not dependant on vocation? Maybe some extra allowance only? :bsmilie:

the two large vehicles from the engineers (38SCE). the one with a dozer blade and short little cannon (which is actually 165mm demolition gun) is the M728 CEV. The one carrying the bridge is the AVLB, both are based on the M60 MBT chassis approximately 60 tons.

Wow u guys really know such stuffs. I gather that most of u are from Armour? Me not armour but did my BMT at 41SAR. :bigeyes:

can SAF really fight a war for long period ? i see USA already struggling like mad in Iraq despite having all the barang barang.. :sweat:

can SAF really fight a war for long period ? i see USA already struggling like mad in Iraq despite having all the barang barang.. :sweat:

I don't think the SAF intends to fight long drawn out wars. Ours is mainly a deterrent force, a defensive force. Remember when you played the game Risk, attackers to defenders ratio is 3:1 ? Defenders usually have some advantage over attackers.

The situation in Iraq is more a political one rather than a military one (just like in the Vietnam War). Nowadays you don't see those plundering and burning like in the Genghis Khan days. Wars are politically motivated and have to be ended through the politicians, not the military.

Offence is our defence. First strike :)

Well... Of course I am not expecting it to be as cold as the air-conditioning in our normal office but I meant where air could be made cooler before being blown into the tank...

At least cooler air blowing at the balls much more comfortable than hot air?

Exactly!

With today's technologies, I don't see why we can't spend a little money on R&D to come up with a better ventilation system/air cooling system for our vehicles. Who knows? We may be able to invent a new system for ourselves, and then market it to other countries which are keen on upgrading their fleet of vehicles. Just like what we have done to our fighter jets' upgrading. There is always room for improvement. The fact that nothing is done to it after repeated feedbacks from the crews proves that the decision makers are just decision makers; Ultimately, they are not the one driving in a closed-hatch vehicle. Budget control is more important than anything else. :sticktong

Those vehicles from European countries may not necessarily adapt well enough to a tropical country like Singapore; afterall they were designed & made to operate in the conditions of their own country. Maybe the leopard has a better designed air ventilation system or maybe not; the crew members know better when they get to drive it in this country eventually.

The M113 was designed & made decades ago. The lousy air ventilation we can't blame because it belongs to a different era. But we are now at a more advance tech age, there is no excuse not to look into this problem.

In fact, it is inhumane to not make life better for the crews if there is a solution to it. Why must the crews made to endure all the uncomfortable & inhumane working conditions in the logic of "You will get used to it"?

If you have an illness and have the money to consult a doctor, do you say, "No, I will just endure the pain"? Of course not.

This only shows the decision makers are so out of touch with the ground level operating conditions of the crews. Simply Bochap! :thumbsd:

I like this. This is so wise. :cool:

It will be too late if others set foot on our soil before we strike. Better to do damages to others than be sorry for the irreparable damages done to us by others.

I think this is a bit too aggressive for our little red dot.
I prefer to say "move the front line forward, away from our shores".

I think this is a bit too aggressive for our little red dot.
I prefer to say "move the front line forward, away from our shores".

haha first strike and establish new borders, expand our territory.

Hmmmm imagine North Woodlands, North East Woodlands and North West Woodlands industrial complex.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.;)

ANyway, its a MBT, it'll be nice to see it in motion. ANy armour open house?:)

Can't wait to go to Germany to train on my Leo 2 next year! :cool:

First batch "untung" go to Germany for training.:thumbsup:

Wrong.
Very very long ago already.........few....

I think the pic of tank with certain country flag is over the top.

Is it not childish of us.
And spilling tactical information and weapons systems details all over Internet just to show "hey, I know more".

This is exactly what foreign intelligence is looking for.
People who talk too much to try to impress.

Status
Not open for further replies.