Family Sunset

Status
Not open for further replies.

clicknick

Apr 13, 2005
Hougang
Hi, my 1st post at critique corner.

I'm trying to show a family of 3 spending quality family time at the beach and enjoying beautiful sunset together.

Go ahead, take your best shot at the pic, I can take it.

Family_lowres.jpg

clicknick said:
Hi, my 1st post at critique corner.

I'm trying to show a family of 3 spending quality family time at the beach and enjoying beautiful sunset together.

The family is depicted quite small. To me, they look more like an accessory to the landscape rather than the main topic.

my 2c, feel free to fire back if U like, this forum also learning for me =)
Nicely taken, good exposure control... but it's kind of a textbook (common) composition.
I'd squat to take the shot, to get the family closer to the sunset or just ignore the sunset and shoot only family and the orange water...

Thanks LittleWolf & rev for feedback.

Yah, I choose mostly textbook and "safer" compositions :)

I must agree that at the time of taking the shot, I'm trying more on getting the sunset into the picture, resulting in the family only occupying lower left corner.
Maybe cropping will help to give more focus back to the family? Is this slightly better?

Family_crop.jpg

clicknick said:
Maybe cropping will help to give more focus back to the family? Is this slightly better?

Family_crop.jpg

I'm not sure if it makes much of a difference.

The perspective from which the picture is taken is that of a distant observer, which makes it difficult to feel emotions (e.g. "family"). It might help to take the image from the perspective of a "family member", i.e. close and at eye level.

No offense intended, merely a general observation. This may be a case of changing your intentions for your photos AFTER you've taken them, in the hopes of it becoming a better photo. People who do it better don't appear as obvious as people who don't.

I guess my point is not to try too hard to fit some post-shutter idea into an already-taken photo. Good? Keep. Got potential? Put one side and explore. No good, junk. That's the mantra I apply to all my pics. Being harsh on your own photos is the best way to improve.

its quite an obvious photo tat lacks of strength in the theme...

i do agree with data1ore.. being hard on your photos is one of the best ways... but most often than not, our judgment is not clear since WE are the ones taking the photographs and know wat we went through and wat so ever other crap.. but to really b able to take our step further, we need ppl who are willing to give their best opinions on our photographs... hopefully, someone senior in the field...

Damn, and I thought I could bluff my way through! Data1ore is spot on about his analysis, and I'm impressed. I'm also very impressed by the very good critiques in this corner, this could only benefit newbies like me who needs more guidance to get better.

data1ore said:
No offense intended, merely a general observation. This may be a case of changing your intentions for your photos AFTER you've taken them, in the hopes of it becoming a better photo. People who do it better don't appear as obvious as people who don't.

I guess my point is not to try too hard to fit some post-shutter idea into an already-taken photo. Good? Keep. Got potential? Put one side and explore. No good, junk. That's the mantra I apply to all my pics. Being harsh on your own photos is the best way to improve.

thank god for digital & LCD preview screens! =)

clicknick, I'd have just tried to shoot the water and the family in a landscape orientation... maintaining the family in the corner...

Status
Not open for further replies.