EZ transfer to Micro Zen

Status
Not open for further replies.

kohss

Deregistered
Jan 27, 2004
Singapore, West
Anyone with successful experience using EZ transfer to copy files from digi cam to creative micro zen removable harddisk?

Do not think such device are the right ones to do the job. It is like putting a PC with Windows and some sound card to playback DVD Audio on a Giga 750 speaker set against a true DVD Audio Decoder with Mission/Yamaha/etc speakers.

Since i have a micro zen, tot of getting the EZ transfer for transfering pics while oversea when my CF card is full. Anyone with successful stories to share?

I brought my cam n micro zen to cathay to try, can't transfer. The person (who is extremely helpful) and I can't figure it out.

kohss said:
Since i have a micro zen, tot of getting the EZ transfer for transfering pics while oversea when my CF card is full. Anyone with successful stories to share?

I brought my cam n micro zen to cathay to try, can't transfer. The person (who is extremely helpful) and I can't figure it out.
Not sure how the product works, but I assume it needs a Mass Storage compliant USB device. For that to happen, you need to enable the Removable Disk mode on the Zen Micro. It is under Extras->Removable Disk.

Regards
CK

Thanks for the possible solution

I set aside (format) 512mb in the zen as removable storage to test. During transfer attempt, zen was in removable disk mode.

EZ transfer just blink blink blink then nothing happen... press the transfer button also nothing happen... check the zen also nothing transferred.

Anyone?

You mean you connected the Zen Micro directly to your digicam?

I wonder how that can be done。 Even if the Zen Micro is set to removable storage mode, it can only work as a USB device, and you need a USB host to be abe to use it。

Does your camera have a USB host interface? Or are you using a PC to be the host? In that case why bother with using the Zen Micro at all?

kohss said:
Thanks for the possible solution

I set aside (format) 512mb in the zen as removable storage to test. During transfer attempt, zen was in removable disk mode.

EZ transfer just blink blink blink then nothing happen... press the transfer button also nothing happen... check the zen also nothing transferred.

Anyone?
can you run through your manual for the zen micro? see if it allows transfers without the desktop software.

i own the zen xtra, a 60gb player, whereupon the transfer can only be done using creative's proprietry desktop software, creative media source desktop organizer.

roygoh said:
You mean you connected the Zen Micro directly to your digicam?

I wonder how that can be done。 Even if the Zen Micro is set to removable storage mode, it can only work as a USB device, and you need a USB host to be abe to use it。

Does your camera have a USB host interface? Or are you using a PC to be the host? In that case why bother with using the Zen Micro at all?
If memory serves me right, the EZ Transfer gadget kohss is trying is meant for this - it allows 2 USB Mass Storage compliant devices to transfer data to each other. The Zen Micro has a USB Mass Storage compliant mode which works fine on PCs and Macs, so by right it should work with the EZ Transfer. But without any in dept knowledge of the EZ Transfer, I can't help further :(

obviousdude said:
can you run through your manual for the zen micro? see if it allows transfers without the desktop software.

i own the zen xtra, a 60gb player, whereupon the transfer can only be done using creative's proprietry desktop software, creative media source desktop organizer.
The Zen Micro does have a Removable Disk mode which makes it act as an external HDD. In this mode, it allows you to transfer data to/from it on a PC/Mac without software like MediaSource or FileManager. The previous Zen players does not have this feature and requires these software to do data transfer.

Regards
CK

To clear up, where did you get the idea that the Zen Micro can do such a transfer? Both the Zen and Digicam are USB Device, unless your Zen has the On The Go (OTG) software implemented to make it work like a USB Host, you cannot transfer from any digicam or card reader without the use of the computer and/or the Creative software.

theITguy said:
To clear up, where did you get the idea that the Zen Micro can do such a transfer? Both the Zen and Digicam are USB Device, unless your Zen has the On The Go (OTG) software implemented to make it work like a USB Host, you cannot transfer from any digicam or card reader without the use of the computer and/or the Creative software.
I believe that's exactly the purpose of the EZ Transfer thingie.... it acts as a bridge between the 2 USB devices.

Regards
CK

ckiang said:
The Zen Micro does have a Removable Disk mode which makes it act as an external HDD. In this mode, it allows you to transfer data to/from it on a PC/Mac without software like MediaSource or FileManager. The previous Zen players does not have this feature and requires these software to do data transfer.

Regards
CK
ah, that's one up for creative. at least they've made their product more competitive by removing the restriction and allowing it to be a pure external storage device.

ckiang is right

EZ Transfer is a device to allow transfer data btw 2 USB devices (eg a digicam and a external harddisk or even thumbdrive) without the use of a computer. Is batteries powered so can even power up small USB devices like card reader and thumbdrive.

In cathay, we tried a digicam connected to EZ transfer and connected to a thumbdrive, and transfer was made sucessfully. (all via USB)

However, we tried a digicam connected to EZ transfer and connected to micro zen (set to removable harddisk mode), nothing was transfered.

FYI, micro zen works perfectly as removable harddisk when connected to PC.

Therefore, wants to find out if there is other settings I must set.

FYI, not all digicam are supported. I remember very clearly that the Canon brand are all not supported in this kind of tranfer from other website I browsed.

what if you use the zen and ez transfer with a small cf card reader? would that work?

Status
Not open for further replies.