Extension Tubes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoky

Mar 17, 2004
Singapore
hoky.multiply.com
Just wondering how close can you go with an extension tube?
How do they work? (As in to aid autofocus)
And how compatible are third party extension tubes?

Please advise noob here.

Hoky said:
Just wondering how close can you go with an extension tube?
How do they work? (As in to aid autofocus)
And how compatible are third party extension tubes?

Please advise noob here.

Some tables on maginifcation here Can google extension tubes for more info, though need to filter out some of the stuff for sale. There was a site that teaches you how to calculate maginication with extension tubes, but I lost it. Maybe the macro gurus at the macro forum can help.

Extension tubes come in different "sizes". Sometimes in sets. Originals from Canon are fully compatible and AF possible (and expensive as usual). The set I bought from TK Photo is also fully compatible and can be AF. Build is good too. There are some cheaper ones out there that can be used, but will disable AF.

Thanks to all for the comments. I'm confused if I should get a close up filter or extension tubes.

Although extension tubes will be more economical, since I have lens thread size of 58mm to 77mm... the price of close up are pretty cheap and I don't think i'll fit it to my ultra / wide.

How would you judge image quality, degration and ease of use between the both (ext. tubes & close up filter)

Hoky said:
Thanks to all for the comments. I'm confused if I should get a close up filter or extension tubes.

Although extension tubes will be more economical, since I have lens thread size of 58mm to 77mm... the price of close up are pretty cheap and I don't think i'll fit it to my ultra / wide.

How would you judge image quality, degration and ease of use between the both (ext. tubes & close up filter)

1) Neither, get a dedicated macro. the sigma/tamron macro offerings are pretty good

2) they are quite costly for what you get. main issue is the focusing distance. If mounted on a lens with a short minimum focusing distance, the final maximum focus distance will be within the lens.... so the ext.tubes cannot be used with just any lens

3) image quality depends on the lens u use, it will work well with the 50/1.4

4)degration for both is pretty severe.

My personal conclusion: get a second hand macro. it wont cost that much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.