Erica Lai

Status
Not open for further replies.
plastic said:
Follow your heart. Feel. You cannot define art. When you can, you are buying stock photos.

Good point, I suppose art that can be sold would be not just art, it's fine art :confused:

Art:
One of the definition of art I read is "to put things together". There's no subjective opinion on good bad, art, fart.

Others:
Human effort to imitate, supplement, alter, or counteract the work of nature.

The conscious production or arrangement of sounds, colors, forms, movements, or other
elements in a manner that affects the sense of beauty, specifically the production of the beautiful in a graphic or plastic medium.
I think art (or for that matter any other thing in life) holds an inner reflection of the creator, conversely the viewer may be receptive to that and/or impose his own inner reflection.

Heck, one could probably look at the same piece on different days and get all sorts of different responses, maybe even contradictory ones.

Art designed to maximise univeral response could be called propaganda ;p

Well, it's all very subjective. I am not so for her kind of photography....I dun even see much in Darren's, Ming's and even Kay Chin's photography. I feel forms of photography like this can be a tad pretentious....I have asked one photographer with images like this what was he trying to show with his images. His reply was, "This is art, you won't understand it..." Whew... Then again, there are some who have gotten images like this that have touched many.

For me personally, the image has to tell a story. If I dun get it from the image itself, IMHO, it does not work for me. Maybe i'm just a shallow guy (that's why I love images from the newspapers, they tell what's happening) and there are many who may have different intepretations of images like Ericia's.

I was about to reply to one or two of the threads here, and was totally prepared to call the poster of the threads to the carpet and lets settle things. However, as I was writing, one of you sent me a PM, I read it, and I totally agreed. You know who you are, and thankyou.

Btw, as some of you have said many times, my choice of words is harsh, well, I disagree, but let me try again and see what you think.

Suck ... or perhaps I should say, totally inadequate, not up to standard, not worthy for the amount of accolade?

or the statement "who did she bribe?" ... perhaps I should say "It's totally beyond my comprehension how this collection of works managed to get her voted as one of the 100 most outstanding youth under 25, wonder what she did to get this recognition?"

better?

Have a great day! I am just around the corner!

I have to admit that had the "Top 100 Outstanding youths under 25" not been included in the introduction, this discussion would have been much less heated. Just because the artist was in top hundred and had some good pictures does not mean each one of the photograph is good.

Each photograph in the collection is unique. But unique does not always mean good. There is a distinct story in some while in others there is nothing for the general audience. Perhaps she is targeting a select group of audience who match her state of mind, her ideology, her life style... possibilities are endless.

To put it succintly..."You can please all the people some times, you can please some people all the time, but you can never please all the people all the time"

Canonised said:
Aiya .... your case is like a Teacher and one of his bad students (irony :sweat: )
I thought by now this teacher should know how this "bad student" behaves here .... just like himself. Personally i like his views which are honest and true/accurate but like many here, I don't like his expression ... too crude and impolite. If he was born long ago, he would definately be the boy who said "the emperor wore no clothe"... As much as we hated, i think it is important and "good" to hear DP as he normally will let us think deeper of what we are thinking. Luckily we dont have many like DP here.
Someone once told me .... a "gangster" may badmouth or appears tough, but inside him is really someone with a soft heart ...:heart: Long live DP!:lovegrin:

You do not understand, do you?

This has nothing to do with voicing an opinion, good or bad. It has little to do with crudeness or nicety. It has nothing to do with whether DP makes one think "deeper".

OK. let me just limit to DP's comment on Erica, something he now tried to gloss over.

Just one statement "Whom did she bribe?".

DP is no idiot when it comes to the English language. This statement is a direct attack on Erica's character. Suggesting that she used unsavory means to get those accolades. This has nothing to do with harshness or directness of comments.

He may not have meant it, but as it stands, this is the implication.

If I may say so, this might even be construed to have legal implications.

Do you realise the import of such comments?

By all means, give the harshest criticisms to the images. But stay away from character assassination.

photography is not always technical, e.g. sharp, correct-exposure, etc....
is not always about being beautiful....or only about the models...or only for commercial purposes...

it is also about the spirit in it, how you present the same thing in a different way, how it make the viewer feel &/or evoke certain thoughts or memories ...
or just make you take a second look....
inspires people in certain way be it in photography, artistically or aesthetically....
just like having a nice cup of coffee to relax in a fast-paced singapore (chillout)....

I saw some of the pics on Erica's website, & I think the pics are very good in that sense.

a lot of potential artistically & commercially (apply it to adverts, TV commercails, CD covers, inspire movies scenes, website designs, etc etc)

....definitely an achievement.....how many people actually go pursue they dreams, in such a stereotypical fast-paced society?

....it is how you are able to appreciate it & the spirit to "just do it!"

i feel her work is more on the artistic side, with little merit on photographic skill and ability. alot of us in clubsnap would probably find it hard why such work could award her recognition in the photographic society in singapore, mainly because many of us have strived so hard and so long to create outstanding photographs, which many i've seen here in clubsnap are world-class.

when i browsed her site, i too felt quite uninspired and unimpressed by her work. however that's just me - as i have already conditioned myself to liking work with photographic merit. (then again some may ask what a good photograph is, which raises more arguments, but i hope most of you do know where i'm getting at.)

artistically, she has great potential, as some of her work really conveyed a story to me... but being one of the top 100 photographers in singapore, i'm not really convinced of that.. then again, that's just me.

student said:
Actually I DO understand what DP or you were saying, and I am not commenting on what both of you said, but i am telling you not to be like those "old teachers" who keep telling the "bad boys" to behave in class .... in plain english ... dont be like a motherhen and keep repeating what we all know - that DP has crossed that boundary and he has been told many times before. Simple enough? :dunno:

Patryk said:
i feel her work is more on the artistic side, with little merit on photographic skill and ability. alot of us in clubsnap would probably find it hard why such work could award her recognition in the photographic society in singapore, mainly because many of us have strived so hard and so long to create outstanding photographs, which many i've seen here in clubsnap are world-class.

when i browsed her site, i too felt quite uninspired and unimpressed by her work. however that's just me - as i have already conditioned myself to liking work with photographic merit. (then again some may ask what a good photograph is, which raises more arguments, but i hope most of you do know where i'm getting at.)

artistically, she has great potential, as some of her work really conveyed a story to me... but being one of the top 100 photographers in singapore, i'm not really convinced of that.. then again, that's just me.

she is not the top 100 photographers in singapore, she is the top 100 youths under 25 last year.

student said:

This has nothing to do with voicing an opinion, good or bad. It has little to do with crudeness or nicety. It has nothing to do with whether DP makes one think "deeper".

OK. let me just limit to DP's comment on Erica, something he now tried to gloss over.

Just one statement "Whom did she bribe?".

DP is no idiot when it comes to the English language. This statement is a direct attack on Erica's character. Suggesting that she used unsavory means to get those accolades. This has nothing to do with harshness or directness of comments.

He may not have meant it, but as it stands, this is the implication.

If I may say so, this might even be construed to have legal implications.

Do you realise the import of such comments?

By all means, give the harshest criticisms to the images. But stay away from character assassination.

Totally agree with Student.
What had that Erica Lai done to Deadpoet to deserve such harsh personal attack?
Because she was some top 100 youth under 25?
so what if her work does not appeal to everyone?
does she deserve to be called "typical of wannabes who demonstrated a self delusion of granduer".

We all have out point of view in this issue, but i think insulting someone's personality and character because her photography is not appealing enough is just a very childish act.
This is no longer an issue of whether her photography is good or not anymore...

it's more like who does Deadpoet think he is to judge her personality based on her work?

Canonised said:
Actually I DO understand what DP or you were saying, and I am not commenting on what both of you said, but i am telling you not to be like those "old teachers" who keep telling the "bad boys" to behave in class .... in plain english ... dont be like a motherhen and keep repeating what we all know - that DP has crossed that boundary and he has been told many times before. Simple enough? :dunno:

If you did understand, then your post in #38 was very badly done.

You meant to say that his insinuation that Erica resorted to underhanded means to get her accolades are "true/accurate"? In this thread, do you mean that DP's comments are merely "crude and impolite"? If you meant those things, then I suggest to you that you really did not understand at all.

You had completely glossed over the uncalled for personal character attack on Erica. I had never asked DP to behave himself. In fact, I had often "fought alongside" him.

But your glossing over such an important character attack is totally unacceptable. I am frankly disappointed with such cavalier and "tolerant" attitude to personal attacks on someone who is not here to defend herself.

People people whats that line my daughter's play school teacher is fond of say " Play nicely"If the images mean something to you - goodIf the images means nothing to you - also good.Why ?Because people at different levels, of different experiences and tasts will see things differently. It's fundamental. Mass appeal is a concept popularised and pushed by advertising companies to justify their function. True at some point you can reach out and touch a whole lot of people's preceptions but the more you can touch the "cruder" the lingo must be. Take for example "Sex sells" ect.Very interesting set of ??? abstracts and yet not abstracts. Visual/intellectual/asesthically stimulating.... a visual/emtoional puzzle.Looks deceptive simple - grin go try reproducing the image with the same visual look and emotional feel. It's more difficult than simply setting for exposure and clicking.Bravo for the youths .. the future.

actually i reali liked the pictures frm the other site that B&S gave a lot more than Erica's one.. esp. for the b&w shots.. nice mood and invokes emotions for me (along with the great song), which i didnt feel for Erica's shots..

.. but tts just me :D

Just a little girl with her toy cameras. Nice images, dun know ART, a abstract word to use.

I remembered someone in west made a chimp(monkey) paints and sell it as ART, An elephant also have the same fate, painted something and was sold as ART.

Doesn't matter lah, nice images she got! Kinda like what I saw in LOMO websites, just need some clever captions.

student said:
If you did understand, then your post in #38 was very badly done.

You meant to say that his insinuation that Erica resorted to underhanded means to get her accolades are "true/accurate"? In this thread, do you mean that DP's comments are merely "crude and impolite"? If you meant those things, then I suggest to you that you really did not understand at all.

You had completely glossed over the uncalled for personal character attack on Erica. I had never asked DP to behave himself. In fact, I had often "fought alongside" him.

But your glossing over such an important character attack is totally unacceptable. I am frankly disappointed with such cavalier and "tolerant" attitude to personal attacks on someone who is not here to defend herself.
Allo, dont change the point that I was making .... and putting all those words into my mouth ...:nono: If my post #38 has mislead you, then i apologised. But as if you need to know, I felt that DP was being unfair to Erica and have crossed the legal boundary.

But the point i was making to you is ... YOU ARE TOO LONG WINDED.
Other ppl can put the point out so clearly with half a sentence, but you have to write pages to convey the same message.
Belle&Sebastain said:
you insulted the person by saying this

Aiyo, why the fuss.

She is an artist....using photography as a medium for her expression. She could be using watercolors, or crayons for her endeavors... and it would not have kicked such a racus.

Naming her as a photographer here seems out of place. Just like calling a person a photographer becos is shooting with a camera!

I like her work btw.

Canonised said:
Allo, dont change the point that I was making .... and putting all those words into my mouth ...:nono: If my post #38 has mislead you, then i apologised. But as if you need to know, I felt that DP was being unfair to Erica and have crossed the legal boundary.

But the point i was making to you is ... YOU ARE TOO LONG WINDED.
Other ppl can put the point out so clearly with half a sentence, but you have to write pages to convey the same message.

Really?

Too long winded?

Why do you not make this entire last post of yours by saying, KISS?

In any case, why did you not castigate DP on his crossing the boundary, but instead tried to defend him? Isn't that a lot more important than my long-windedness?

Sheesh! Get your priority right!

Boy oh boy!

What are we dealing with?

Canonised said:

Put words into your mouth?

But did you not say that DP was "true/accurate"?

So his views that Erica may have resorted to bribery to get her accolades are "true/accurate"? Well you said it!

Did I put words into your mouth!

Sorry, I do not like halitosis.

K I S S :bsmilie:
woooliaoooo

Belle&Sebastain said:
now, that i think is the most insulting remark so far.

like some others, i feel she has the potential for growth as an artist, when i stated the 100 outstanding youths under 25, i was trying to push across the message as youths, we already have our own way of vision.

I was impressed by her, because like me, i started my own business of making clothes with my own thoughts and ideas than peer into what the industry is doing when i was 23. I did not have much experience in business but i have passionate ideas and toughts about what i wanted to make.

I care less for the masses could could not understand or like my work, save for those who do but could not afford what i do. Then i was so impressed with the works of Rei, Yohji, Martin and Ann whose works could not be afforded by the masses by sought after by the same type of fashionable people whom i wanted to dress them. The type whom dislike fashion brands but like the interesting way these designers put their messages across their clothes. These are the people who will scoff at brands like LV and Prada, selling prestige, not style and substance.

The important message across is that photography has so many platforms, so many different audiences. I do not understand the blashing of Erica or even John Clang (before) for that matter. That just shows that many of you see things on the surface value, an nice exposure or a shot to death image is what you aim for. Many do not look and study in-depth to other peoples way of working and other peoples point of view.

An great image need not be a pretty girl in bikini or art need not be a b/w nude model. See things as you feel for them. By using feelings, you can see alot more. By trying to create your own vision, you appreciate your craft more and horne your skills a different level.

When i tranlated that into photography, commerical to an extent i find its so much more important to create an vision of my own. As a newbie photographer years ago, someone whom replied on this thread told me that wedding photography is all the same, which i proved otherwise now. i get my jobs based on my way of working, my thoughts process and my views.

Non photographers appreicate how i can shoot for them, as they see in other works i done for couples. I do not shoot fine art style but i enjoy those works from others like Ron, Rueyloon and Ant. I like the peacefulness of Kuang style, the softness of Erdwine, the colours and liveness of Johnathan and Kelvin Koh. I evolve from learning lots in this process but i shoot different from them.

Everyone evolves to their own style, so its really sad when you dun understand something and shoot it off others. At least appreicate that Erica is trying to evolve and do something she likes and different from you DP.
What to do Erica Lai with GENERAL, REVIEWS, TECH TALK???

Regards,
Arto.

Status
Not open for further replies.