Engineers making $0.62 million!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, and also note that "median" is not the same as "average".
It says Median salaries of Top 8 earners (as in professions)...
Not the top 8 earners of Singapore.

Note the word median.

everytime i read articles on GST increase..about growing economy..i get illusions, and it reads "grow my pockets"..

The $0.62 million is not the average for the engineers.

It represents the median income of the top earners in the engineering profession.

But then again... the median value derived is crazy..
Even the top 5 percent of all the engineering fields (combined together) don't earn even near that much.

Then again, maybe they use only 1 top guy (perhaps who's affilated w/ our garment like engineering minister or something) to represent the whole pool of top engineers... Statistical data will show his salary as median, mean, top 10 percentile, bottom 10... etc...

regret... then you cannot complain....

why cannot complain? complaining is our national passtime :bsmilie: along with TCSS. :bsmilie:

yeah, you are right. They are referring to maybe directors in engineering firms:bsmilie:

Now, this is more realistic...

http://myjobstreet.jobstreet.com/premium/basicSalaryReport.asp?param=Engineer|000|sg||sg

Even my VP (in the States) don't earn that much after converting 1.52x to SGD.

How come our garment always post higher figures?
http://www.contactsingapore.org.sg/oppor_careers_salaries.shtml

Note the word median.

"Median salary of Top 8 earners in each profession" then means the "Top 4 earners" earn at least that amount. Still a very top-ish kind of earnings. Far far too high for us hoi polloi.

Why don't they compare to Accountants, who are in high demand now. Where did they get the figures from?

Accountants in SG only earning an average of S$3901 per month! Singapore has indeed becoming a place for cheap labour in the working class, and the people on top still want to increase their salary? Why don't they compare with the ministers from all the advance countries and get a median? :angry:

Even my VP (in the States) don't earn that much after converting 1.52x to SGD.

How come our garment always post higher figures?
http://www.contactsingapore.org.sg/oppor_careers_salaries.shtml

everytime i read articles on GST increase..about growing economy..i get illusions, and it reads "grow my pockets"..

Hmm... Thinking aloud here..

Assume that standard inflation is 3% year-on-year..
Then add 2% GST increase later this year.. Ballpark the amount to 5% total..
So if I get less than 5% pay-rise, does that mean I'm getting effective pay-cut??

Hmm...

Fyi, median is just a TYPE of average.

Come , let's go back to secondary school, average got 3 types,

Mode, Median and Mean. The average we are most commonly used to is Mean.
But it's nothing wrong to say that Median is average hor, got statistics means got room for definition discrepancies lor.

Note that the term engineer is very widespread though.. I wonder if management posts with Engineering degrees in say, companies are considered as engineers.

Note the word median.

erm............yar. that's what i said. "Top 8 earners in each field."

and it is useless about the median vs mean argument in here. there are only 8 elements in each set they are comparing. in this case, median and mean would be very close, unless the 4th and 5th earners differ to a great extent(read: few hundred thousand dollars difference), which is extremely unlikely since you are comparing the top 8 (which is a mere zero point something percent)

is that not a bit harsh... in certain fields you just dont have the homegrown talents... hence there is a need to bring in foreigners... this does not only apply to singapore, it applies to every country and is practised in every country...
i dont think FT bring only stress and competition... one can learn as well... ;)

of course.i didnt mention the good side of things only mah.

so you are FT for sure.:bsmilie:

For everyone's info:
A median is obtained by arranging all the figures (engineers payscale in this case) from lowest value to highest value and picking the middle one.

So it means the top engineer earner can be earning #$%^#@^&@^% loads of money...
*Freak*

Note that the term engineer is very widespread though.. I wonder if management posts with Engineering degrees in say, companies are considered as engineers.

there is this category call the "Professional Engineer", aka PE..whereby one stamp on one diagram mean $300 to $1k...

Status
Not open for further replies.