E-PL2 Red Spots

cpuer said:
I cannot help it, here's my GRD3 at F9(the max):

Also have the spots, but more random than EPL2 geometrically shown. And less pronounced.

This looks like typical flare, epl2 one looks odd

I tested the E-PL2 during an Olympus workshop. The red spots are there. I'm not sure what's consider as small aperture for m4/3 sensor. But I shoot this at f8:

E-PL2 with mk2 kit lens @ F/8:
5400805906_6ddc6d8d60.jpg

Too bad, I didn't have the chance to bring it outdoor for a test. I'm more concern about the "flare" when shooting sunset/sunrise. And i do shoot straight into the sun at very small aperture. This is taken by my Pentax pointing directly at the sun @ f/22: PHOTO

Last edited:
guys, would like to know if this red spot issuse is due to the camera/ lens that is used? has anyone tried using it with other lens on epl2?

I tried 14-54 and 17mm, 17mm wasn't very strong, but 14-54 was quite and 14-42 quite as well, but like I said, do you shoot straight into the light?

does this happens when only shooting directly to the light or when there's a strong light in the frame or focus?

These are images shot by myself, into the light and at an angle, f22 and 5.6 which is around my usual shooting aperture

f5.6 then f22
5401269688_76e00a589c_z.jpg
5401270098_fa552635dd_z.jpg

f5.6 then f22
5401270740_b2cf01e722_z.jpg
5401271476_1f38ff5230_z.jpg

Up for you to decide if its acceptable for you, though I'm using a torch light with 4 LEDs in them, mounted on tripod, not very scientific, shot with E-PL2 and 14-42mkii lens,manual mode, ISO 200 1/3 stop over exposed

Last edited:
guys, would like to know if this red spot issuse is due to the camera/ lens that is used? has anyone tried using it with other lens on epl2?
When I shot a torchlight at f/22 with the 14-42mm II kit lens on both the EPL2 and GF2 bodies, the red spots only showed up on the image from EPL2.

Since the same lens was used, it's not a lens issue. And since both bodies are supposed to use the same CMOS sensor, it is most probably also not a sensor problem. The other component that is in the path of the light beam from subject to sensor is the anti-aliasing filter which is the one component that is unique to each of the 2 cameras. The red spots could be due to flares caused by reflections off the surface of the anti-aliasing filter of the EPL2 while the anti-aliasing filter of the GF2 would seem to be less susceptible to the red spot problem.

That my guess.

When I shot a torchlight at f/22 with the 14-42mm II kit lens on both the EPL2 and GF2 bodies, the red spots only showed up on the image from EPL2.

Since the same lens was used, it's not a lens issue. And since both bodies are supposed to use the same CMOS sensor, it is most probably also not a sensor problem. The other component that is in the path of the light beam from subject to sensor is the anti-aliasing filter which is the one component that is unique to each of the 2 cameras. The red spots could be due to flares caused by reflections off the surface of the anti-aliasing filter of the EPL2 while the anti-aliasing filter of the GF2 would seem to be less susceptible to the red spot problem.

That my guess.
Tomcat, thanks a lot for your reply. although there are no official news from olympus about this issuse, but i think you've got a point there.
you have cleared my curiousity. thanks.
like what spidey89 had said above, i doubt i will shoot straight into the light. so, overall epl2 is still quite a good camera for now.

Well, I think that is a valid issue, only Olympus E-PL2 gives this kind of effect, never seen anything like it. It reminds me of the Star filter, maybe Olympus has a red spot filter they forgot to take out of the camera :bsmilie:.

However, will someone shoot a nighttime cityscape with bright lights at f/11 ? This is a very common scene. If it passes this, then I don't think there is much issue, at least for me.

And for nighttime street shooting, like the very crowded Chinatown market now at nighttime, with lots of lights, almost all would be handholding anyway at faster speeds. I did see a couple using tripods, maybe they were shooting static stores/stalls with lots of blur movement around ... can be interesting ...

Oly5050 said:
U guys are mad...this is a flare issue. Point any camera at a strong enough lightsource and u will get it. This is really a bo-liao issue started by some bo-liao person in China.

Not just a flare issue.. It looks like the AA filter is not designed properly. The red spots looks like the effect is caused by diffraction. Certainly doesn't look like something that can be fixed by firmware. -_-!

been tossing around in bed thinking about it all night and I just realized..... :

"AIYOH!!! There are worse things to worry about in such situations when these red things appear..... like one's ability to meter/compose an image to avoid the TOTALLY WHITE BLOWN-OUT HIGHLIGHTS [and FLARE] in the first place" (that go hand in hand with these red spots past a certain f-stop) (blown out highlights which cannot be corrected even in post-processing )

Over the last few decades, photographers have used accessories like ND and G-ND filters to address this age old issue of film's+sensor's Dynamic Range limitations

Wasted a whole night's sleep ..... this camera might not be suitable for people who shoot directly into sun flares, solar eclipses and torch lights

Last edited:

That my guess.

yeah could be it 1st time I saw it it looks like reflection/flare and i suspect also it could be a light hits the sensor an bounces back to something and back to the sensor.. I've seen UV filter has this ghosting issue. I have this cheap filter that came with my lens as freebies and when at right condition you'll see such ghosting... look at the photo below using this filter, see the 3 blue spots, one between the ladie's legs one on the floor and the other one on the bread tray? these are ghost or reflection of the 3 lights on the ceiling.

5397919288_c431cc51ef_z.jpg

I did some testing when I saw this issue at home and i confirm it's the UV filter that cause it...

This issue is I think is different from EPL2 and I hope it's more software/algorithm issue than hardware issue.

Last edited:
Well, I think that is a valid issue, only Olympus E-PL2 gives this kind of effect, never seen anything like it. It reminds me of the Star filter, maybe Olympus has a red spot filter they forgot to take out of the camera :bsmilie:.

However, will someone shoot a nighttime cityscape with bright lights at f/11 ? This is a very common scene. If it passes this, then I don't think there is much issue, at least for me.

And for nighttime street shooting, like the very crowded Chinatown market now at nighttime, with lots of lights, almost all would be handholding anyway at faster speeds. I did see a couple using tripods, maybe they were shooting static stores/stalls with lots of blur movement around ... can be interesting ...

actually in some instances I kinds like the starburst effect... :bsmilie:

I really hope this issue could be fixed by software/firmware... EPl2 seems to be a very nice cam and I've been eyeing at together with XZ-1 :D

been tossing around in bed thinking about it all night and I just realized..... :

"AIYOH!!! There are worse things to worry about in such situations when these red things appear..... like one's ability to meter/compose an image to avoid the TOTALLY WHITE BLOWN-OUT HIGHLIGHTS [and FLARE] in the first place" (that go hand in hand with these red spots past a certain f-stop) (blown out highlights which cannot be corrected even in post-processing )

Over the last few decades, photographers have used accessories like ND and G-ND filters to address this age old issue of film's+sensor's Dynamic Range limitations

Wasted a whole night's sleep .....

:bsmilie::bsmilie: I slept like a baby :D

Last edited:
Whether the Red spots issue is really a big issue depends on your use of the camera.

I use the Pen as a social camera, usually together with my pancake lens at its largest aperture for its low light abilities handheld, hence the red spots will probably never show up in 95% of my pictures.

If you are using this as your primary go to camera for serious landscape work, or events with spotlights shining at you, then this is not the camera for you :)