-=Discussion=- D800 or D800E , Which is your pick?

Cheesecake said:
tas good. wonder if we'll get the same shiok deal in Asia?

Pretty sure about that coz the AA filter is still part of the bundle, it's just done in the post now. $300 is a steel for having the luxury to switch AA on and off.

these fotos were processed with NX2, i would think that in order to get the best out of the RAW files, the Nikon Capture NX2 is a must. more $$$$.

Capture NX2 is still at affordable circa $250. Price is usually not the grouses that one will hear. Usually Capture NX2 grouses are it's clunky interface, intensive processing when noise reduction and D-Lighting are activated.

Pretty sure about that coz the AA filter is still part of the bundle, it's just done in the post now. $300 is a steel for having the luxury to switch AA on and off.

Switch AA on and off?? I don't think there is such an option. It's either with or without AA.

From the little I know, moire may not be that common but when it does occur, it is not a simple procedure to have it remove in post.

For most non-techies, I think better stick with the D800 -- there's a reason why almost all digital cameras come equipped with an AA filter.

Switch AA on and off?? I don't think there is such an option. It's either with or without AA.

From the little I know, moire may not be that common but when it does occur, it is not a simple procedure to have it remove in post.

For most non-techies, I think better stick with the D800 -- there's a reason why almost all digital cameras come equipped with an AA filter.

i think that the AA is still present in D800E?

D800E - Maximum Resolution Unleashed

In addition to the D800, Nikon will also be releasing a supplementary model for those professionals who demand even higher resolution and D-SLR versatility; the D800E. This model treads in medium format territory for studio work or landscape photography when there is no exception to only the highest fidelity and sharpness.

This unique alternative model will effectively enhance the resolution characteristics of the 36.3-megapixel CMOS sensor by cancelling the anti-aliasing properties of the OLPF inside the camera.

By doing this, light is delivered directly to the photodiodes, yielding an image resulting from the raw light gathering properties of the camera. A color moiré correction tool will also be available within Capture NX2 to enhance the D800E photographer’s workflow.

curry sauce.

from my understanding of the passage above, i think that the AA is present in D800E but the user has the option to turn it on or off.

but of course, the passage is open to interpretation. anyone has anything conclusive to share? ;p

Squid said:
Capture NX2 is still at affordable circa $250. Price is usually not the grouses that one will hear. Usually Capture NX2 grouses are it's clunky interface, intensive processing when noise reduction and D-Lighting are activated.

Well wait for Photoshop CS6 then.

bigpond said:

As I said, in the post, not in the camera! We're just talking about AA here, no need to degrate the image before it gets captured. It's a much smarter idea to do it as a post effect (e.g. in NX2) if needed. That way you can also control how strong you want the AA to be. That's my interpretation of Nikon's statement.

Last edited:

In which case why would Nikon offer 2 models? Just one with a AA on/off switch will do.

I think Nikon marketing in this respect seems suspect because it creates an unease among the D800/D800E buyers - which-model-should-I-get dilemma. Somehow, it tells the world that both models have unfinished work to be done - D800 for un-optimised sharpness and D800E for potential moire. Which model do they really expect to sell more? Those who believe in "more expensive means better" will get the E regardless if it meets their photography interests. Worse still it sets D800 buyers thinking if they should cough out another 10% to get the E as soon as they walk out of the shop! It's a glaring faux pas! :-(

As I said, in the post, not in the camera! We're just talking about AA here, no need to degrate the image before it gets captured. It's a much smarter idea to do it as a post effect (e.g. in NX2) if needed. That way you can also control how strong you want the AA to be. That's my interpretation of Nikon's statement.

OK, I understand you now.

Only issue is: how effective is the moire reduction tool in NX2?

I doubt it is as simple as correcting for vignetting, for eg. We shall see.

D800 is still not a bad choice over the E version...previous models have AA and almost everyone is ok with it

Just look at photos from Ricoh's GXR M-mount module, only 16MP and no AA filter. Or what about Kodak's DCS Pro SLR/s and /c? Full frame and even fewer MP and no AA filter. I highly doubt the D800 needs one. In the 0.1% of photos where you can make out some aliasing you can fix it in the post in the affected parts of the image.

For landscape, bird, nature, macro shooters, obviously non AA and make full use of it!
in bird photography and sometimes in nature photography, will still get repeat patterns (eg. feather) at certain distances where moire will still be captured... YMMV... :)

The moire may not be such a big issue after all.

Check the image of the kimono girl (sample 3) in the D800E samples. The fabric shows no moire at all.

Nikon | Imaging Products | Sample Images - Nikon D800/D800E
it might still have moire depending on the distance of the camera to the fabric... moire depends on the frequency of the pattern in respect to the pixel density of the sensor... Nikon would of course choose a shot where moire does not show :)

i think that the AA is still present in D800E?

This unique alternative model will effectively enhance the resolution characteristics of the 36.3-megapixel CMOS sensor by cancelling the anti-aliasing properties of the OLPF inside the camera.

from my understanding of the passage above, i think that the AA is present in D800E but the user has the option to turn it on or off.

but of course, the passage is open to interpretation. anyone has anything conclusive to share?
in DPReview's preview of the model, they explain that the anti-aliasing property of the filter is removed, but that there is still a filter there if only to maintain the optical path characteristics of the camera so manufacturing is easier... therefore, no switching on/off of AA in camera...:)

Nikon in their press release actually only mentions removal of colour moire in NX2... that is actually the easier form of moire to remove... luminance moire is a hack of a lot more difficult to remove... :)

In which case why would Nikon offer 2 models? Just one with a AA on/off switch will do.

I think Nikon marketing in this respect seems suspect because it creates an unease among the D800/D800E buyers - which-model-should-I-get dilemma. Somehow, it tells the world that both models have unfinished work to be done - D800 for un-optimised sharpness and D800E for potential moire. Which model do they really expect to sell more? Those who believe in "more expensive means better" will get the E regardless if it meets their photography interests. Worse still it sets D800 buyers thinking if they should cough out another 10% to get the E as soon as they walk out of the shop! It's a glaring faux pas! :-(
Nikon opened a can of worms other DSLR companies have avoided so far by intro-ing the option of AA-filter or sans-AA-filter camera... on the other hand, the issue with this is whether the consumer understands the implications or not... :)

Mm i think the 14-24,16-35,24-70,70-200,24f1.4,35f1.4,50f1.4 shld perform well on D800.

Now my question is 17-35F2.8 will it survive?? or is a must to get D800E..

Last edited:
ok, still confused abt the AA thing whether there is, or not.

but regardless. will still BUYBUYBUY!!! HUAT AH!!!

Again... they REPLACE the AA filter with a non-AA filter. Still got filter, just not AA.

Support your HUAT AH!!!

I am surprised that the D4 is 16 MP whereas the D800 is 36 MP.

Something 'fishy' with nikon marketing strategy and seem like nikon is 'trying' to 'con' more people, I forseen a D4x or D4E or D4S... .. Just a matter of time, ... Just wait and see...