Direct capture of photograph

Status
Not open for further replies.

checker

Dec 29, 2003
Singapore West
Visit site
can i connect a cable(usb etc.) from my D70 to my laptop so that when i take pictures, it will be immedately captured by my laptop? if so, what's the software to use?

i'm using Apple Powerbook.

checker said:
can i connect a cable(usb etc.) from my D70 to my laptop so that when i take pictures, it will be immedately captured by my laptop? if so, what's the software to use?

i'm using Apple Powerbook.
For the D70 you're going to have to either use Camera Control 4 that comes with Nikon Capture 4 or the new Nikon Camera Control Pro.

The photo is immediately transfered to your laptop but since the D70 only has a slow USB 1.1 port, large files take quite a bit of time to be transfered. :cry:

_

For the D70 you're going to have to either use Camera Control 4 that comes with Nikon Capture 4 or the new Nikon Camera Control Pro.

The photo is immediately transfered to your laptop but since the D70 only has a slow USB 1.1 port, large files take quite a bit of time to be transfered. :cry:

_

hi...thanks. but if i use the USB to transfer immediately, will the battery drain up quickly? anyway to charge while transferring?

Don't worry too much on your D70's battery life, it'll last longer than you think.

Or either get an extra battery or use a third party grip to hold two en-el3 batts for extra power if you do not want to change batt in-between shooting sessions..

Don't worry too much on your D70's battery life, it'll last longer than you think.

Not as long as you think when you are hooked-up via USB :nono: The battery drains pretty quickly.

hi...thanks. but if i use the USB to transfer immediately, will the battery drain up quickly? anyway to charge while transferring?

You can't charge it while the battery's in the camera, but you can attach an AC adaptor to the D70. This is what you'll need:

AC Adaptor EH-5

You can get it from CP at around SG$100.

Cheers,
Matt

thanks guys ... think the AC adapter is a good option... will go buy one. as well as the software.

anyone have good/bad comments about the software?

thanks guys ... think the AC adapter is a good option... will go buy one. as well as the software.

anyone have good/bad comments about the software?

Nothing really bad about camera control, except that you can't seem to purchase Camera Control Pro in SG yet. :angry: Been trying to purchase it locally ever since the US site announced the availability of the code through online purchase.

You can however download the 30-day trial version and use it until the software becomes available here. Otherwise, after the 30 days, install the trial version of NC4 and get NC4 camera control for another 30 days.

Cheers

_

I have done a whole day studio shoot with the D70 for last years National Day Commemorative Magazine, it lasted even longer than the laptops. Camera was on whole time. Disn't even change the batts. The speed of the transfer improves with the laptops. More RAMs improves the transfer.

I have done a whole day studio shoot with the D70 for last years National Day Commemorative Magazine, it lasted even longer than the laptops. Camera was on whole time. Disn't even change the batts. The speed of the transfer improves with the laptops. More RAMs improves the transfer.

That's interesting cause both of mine (original EN-EL3) each lasted only for 3+ hours of shooting and transferring RAW.

Uuhhh...how does more RAM improve the speed of a non highspeed USB connection? :dunno:

_

Hmm... after seeing your post i'm playing with my D70 and my Apple Powerbook now, using Image Capture (should come with your bundled software). You can remotely take pictures using Image Capture and view them on the spot... It's pretty cool.. you can even remotely control it over the internet... go check it out.. :)

Really? I called up Nikon and ask and they have a very diff view from you. The only way this is possible is that you may have a very light session with just a few frames on and off as such there were few images transfered. Or you're using the AC adaptor.

If you're using a org Nikon D70 battery, shooting a heavy session the whole day, without an AC adaptor, on a single charge and it last as long as you claim, I'm sure Nikon will be very interested to buy over the battery from you at a very good price.

The thing about having more ram to speed up the transfer speed, ..... a USB 1.1 will still be a USB 1.1 even if you have 100GB of RAM

Really? I called up Nikon and ask and they have a very diff view from you. The only way this is possible is that you may have a very light session with just a few frames on and off as such there were few images transfered. Or you're using the AC adaptor.

If you're using a org Nikon D70 battery, shooting a heavy session the whole day, without an AC adaptor, on a single charge and it last as long as you claim, I'm sure Nikon will be very interested to buy over the battery from you at a very good price.

The thing about having more ram to speed up the transfer speed, ..... a USB 1.1 will still be a USB 1.1 even if you have 100GB of RAM

:bsmilie: I'm also very interested in this battery that was used, it would save me the trouble of carrying my AC adaptor with me.

Maybe the USB port was modified to a "Highspeed" USB 1.1 that could make use of memory on the other end of the USB cable :bigeyes: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

_

:bsmilie: I'm also very interested in this battery that was used, it would save me the trouble of carrying my AC adaptor with me.

Maybe the USB port was modified to a "Highspeed" USB 1.1 that could make use of memory on the other end of the USB cable :bigeyes: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

_

In that case, you can have the battery. I want the computer/laptop with the modified "highspeed" USB1.1, can sell it to Apple, Acer, HP, IBM ....... man I can retire very comfortably :bsmilie:

In that case, you can have the battery. I want the computer/laptop with the modified "highspeed" USB1.1, can sell it to Apple, Acer, HP, IBM ....... man I can retire very comfortably :bsmilie:

Ha! Ha! Yeah, but must ask how much faster the extra RAM made the USB transfer...if slower than Highspeed USB 2.0 or the new FW2 then those companies won't buy. :bsmilie:

_

Ha! Ha! Yeah, but must ask how much faster the extra RAM made the USB transfer...if slower than Highspeed USB 2.0 or the new FW2 then those companies won't buy. :bsmilie:

_

Oh they will, just think, a technology which will let RAM increase the speed at the other end of a cable, can you imagine the spin off such a technology will have? :sweatsm:

There is no way the transfer speed is going to increase with more RAM. The bottleneck will still be the USB 1.1 port.

Oh they will, just think, a technology which will let RAM increase the speed at the other end of a cable, can you imagine the spin off such a technology will have? :sweatsm:

:think: hmmm...I see your point ;)

There is no way the transfer speed is going to increase with more RAM. The bottleneck will still be the USB 1.1 port.

We know...hee...hee...:bsmilie: Or at least MOST of us know. ;)

_

Status
Not open for further replies.