Difficult to get sharp images

Anthony82

Dec 20, 2010
I am still learning and own a 60D with tamron 18-200mm lens
During day shots , i m still quite comfortable. Normalli using AV mode, 6.5/ISO100-200
My problems lies in

1) when i zoom out to >100mm..sometime when images are viewed on pc, they do not look as sharp.

2) For flower macro shots, i know this is a zoom lens, max at 200mm, the bokeh is blur at 3.5 while dun know somehow feel the center of e flower is nt v sharp.

3) Any recommended settings / modes to shoot portrait pics? Thank!!!

Bros out there, any guidances on this? or rather is this the limitation of this tamron lens?

I also wanna find a lens to shoot portrait photos with sharp foreground with nice bokeh. Any suggestions on which low range model? between $300-500?

Thank for reading and help :)

1) The rule of thumb for shutter speed is 1/focal length, but many other factors also play a part too.

2) Have you gone beyond the min. focusing distance ?

3) There is no standard rule, its up to you to decide what mood you want to create.

A cheap 50mm f1.8 will be a good start.

You need to understand your gear more. You got an 18-200, which is a lens full of compromises. In exchange for such a large range in focal length, you lose some image quality.

1. You should try to set your aperture to f/8.
2. You cannot have f/3.5 at 200mm with that lens, largest is f/5.6 if my memory is right. Also, the bokeh cannot be blur. I think what you are trying to say is that the background is blurred. Again, try to set your aperture to f/8
3. Same basic principles... Set the right aperture for your shot and focal length that you need.

For a cheap pertrait lens, get a 50mm f/1.8 - very cheap but not bad.

I have the same issue with some tamron lenses but thats only in low light settings, i don't think it's an issue of you being too close to the object, maybe you might wanna try setting a higher apperture, usually F8 makes just about everything sharp.

You must use the right focusing mode to get the center of flower in focus.

Try using Center Focusing or Spot Focusing to lock onto the center of the flower.

Best to try different combination of settings. Start from the extremes.
Preferably shoot using a stand to eliminate the hand shake variable.
You should finally get settings that will give you the best the
lens can deliver. If you need more than that, you will
have to consider calibration or a better lens.

could be handshake as well. do a search on that, there are some posts on that matter.

if you are wearing spec, make sure that you do the same when focussing, else you hv to experiment with the diopter slidebar at the viewfinder

You must use the right focusing mode to get the center of flower in focus.

Try using Center Focusing or Spot Focusing to lock onto the center of the flower.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

something like below pic?

IMG_6963.jpg

I used to have the Tamron 18-200 and it isn't the sharpest lens to begin with. I felt that even my kit lens from my old 300D (the 1st EFS 18-55) was sharper.
Also, there's no IS so my long tele shots were often blur from camera shake.

I need good lighting to get a good sharp picture with that lens hand held. Or use a flash.

You will need to adjust your ISO depending on the lighting situation in order to get a decent shutter speed.

Thank for your replies ppl.

1) The 50mm 1.8...what brand is good and cheap to start with? What is the $$$ range for a new & 2nd hand one? Any idea?
It is mentioned that is for portrait, if i use for flowers. I believe will have nicer bokeh and sharper image?

2) Thank. I'll try with f/8 from now. :)

3) The right focusing mode and adjusting the is cicular slidebar above e viewbar are something i should consider too :) Thank

4) What are some zoom lenses that come with IS are in use now?

Thank for reading and comments.

Anthony82 said:

1) The 50mm 1.8...what brand is good and cheap to start with? What is the $$$ range for a new & 2nd hand one? Any idea?
It is mentioned that is for portrait, if i use for flowers. I believe will have nicer bokeh and sharper image?

3) The right focusing mode and adjusting the is cicular slidebar above e viewbar are something i should consider too :) Thank

You are in luck, Canon makes the cheapest 50mm f1.8 on the market. For the zoom lenses with IS, there are to many to name, check the price list, all the lenses are listed there. IS for Canon, VR for Nikon, VC for Tamron and OS for Sigma

Before jumping at new lenses you can try to master your existing setup. Read up on photography and practice with what you have. From there you will gradually become more educated on your shooting style and what lenses you will need.