Cycling on the pavement, who has the right of way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
actually road users (drivers and riders) must give way to pedestrians no matter who has right of way.

it does not explicitly outlaw cycling on pavements.

The only relevant provisions that I found:

Rule 8 of the Road Traffic (Bicycles) Rules:

Every bicycle shall be ridden close to the left hand edge of the roadway and in such a manner as not to obstruct vehicles moving at a faster speed.

Rule 10

No bicycle shall be ridden or propelled otherwise than in an orderly manner and with due regard for the safety of others.

Ok i am sorry if i offended someone.

but the fact is the bike's speed will not cause serious injury to the pedestrian. Seriously.

Huh, I beg your pardon, are u sure? I have read of cases in the papers of pedestrians by knocked down by cyclist and some got seriously injured. I remember, a year or two ago, an elderly woman even died of her injuries after being knocked down by a cyclist.

i guess there are cyclists and there are anti-cyclists. if singapore is ruled by the anti-cyclists, we would have one set of rules. Aleoca would problably closed down. Mr Goh and Han would problably sell something else.

I just find it weird to see so many fervert anti-cyclists here. Really no middle ground is it? funny thing i have been knocked down by bikes before. scratches. maybe blue black. that's it. the impact of the bike tyre is there but not much, the momentum is not really that high. mass X velocity. Assuming it is a alloy bike weight of the rider combined with bike maybe 14 kg, person 65kg.
79 X 3 m/s = 237 kgm/s

compared to get hit by a 3 tonner ( really unlucky )

3000 X 13.89 m/s ( avg 50km/hr ) = 41670 kgm/s

which is more fatal? Seriously i have been knocked down before and i actually helped the guy who fell off the bike. cyclist would understand, it is the cyclist that get hurt more. really. the scenario is usually: you suddenly lose control, your crouch hit the top tube first and you fall palm first on the floor, the bike then crashes behind you. the impact is the bike hitting yourself. tour de france cyclists die because of this. roadies would understand.

lets look at the tyre size, the biggest impact area is 2.5 inch. I am assuming it is a downhiller, comparing to a car or bus, the area of impact really is minimum. well if singapore is ruled by cyclists, we will have another set of rules.
Dude, dont bring maths into the scenario here. It is useless, you want to ride on the pavement, be prepared to be accept that you are not top priority there, you want to go faster, get on the road/grass. Why dont you ask the drivers to give way to the riders? AFAIAC, both drivers and riders are using a piece of hardware. even the slightest knock hurts.

actually road users (drivers and riders) must give way to pedestrians no matter who has right of way.

Yup, there was a case like this a couple of months back, IIRC, a pedestrian ran across the road when the crossing has ended and got hit by a car, he sued and won I believe, the car did not give him the right of way, and it was deemed that the car could have stopped in time.

I believe thats what happened anyway.

If road bullies are hauled to court, errant cyclists shouldn't be let off hook." By Marcus Tun. ST Forum (Online Letters) [The Straits Times], 24 Jan 2006.

Take action against cyclists on pavements before accidents happen." By Teoh Beng San. ST Forum (Online Letters) [The Straits Times], 20 Jan 2006.

hey i cycle too, but i do not demand right of way

as mentioned b4 just cycle on the grass if you want to overtake
or cycle slowly behind them, after a while they will notice you and give way with a smile

Or you can get a black eye because someone punched you in the face. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

On the road, if i get hit by a bus / taxi / car I DIE:cry:

On the pavement, if i hit a perdestrain, i survive, i can still say sorry.

I really hate to see young children / old folks riding on the road because of this stupid law and get killed.

I din realise cyclists vs predestrian can be a very sensitive topic. After seeing the 2 viewpoints I still have to say I stand by the predestrian side. Agreed injuries caused by bikes may not be always that damaging. Agreed that people "cycle just to buy chicken rice"
Agreed that cycling is a fun exercise.

But....
If you just want to "buy chicken rice" are you so in need that u have to tell the predestrian to move it so that i can get my rice?

Its all about manners here really. I don't know about others, but i am particular about manners. If cyclists ring their bell at me, I will 100% walk @ the center of the pavement. I am not a dog and you are not my master. More to the point, we are not in military training, hell, even commanders shout once in a while.

Who says cycling on the road is very dangerous ? I see loads of the foreign workers on the road side everyday but i don't hear them complaining (maybe i don't know tamil, but i sure know chinese ) if even the foreigners are willing to abide the rules... what would others think about Singaporeans ?

Yep, my penny of thoughts. =)

Ok i am sorry if i offended someone.

but the fact is the bike's speed will not cause serious injury to the pedestrian. Seriously.

do you know the impact if the psycho bus ram you from behind?
do you know most cyclist die because the taxi in front of them suddenly turn in and brake?

If you are a parent, i am sure if your children want to cycle, you would also seriously tell them NOT to cycle on the road. It is dangerous. :(

OMG seriously. Parents ALWAYS teach their children not to ride on main roads. I don't see how anymore DUH your statement can get. OF COURSE IT IS DANGEROUS.

If kids want to cycle, they usually do so on smaller roads within their estates, not main roads where there is the possibility of being 'rammed by a psycho bus'.

i understand perfectly that i have to give way as well. :D we cycle nicely on the pavement. it used to be that when we approach a person behind, we ring a bit they notice you and give way, good. i respect that. if they don't hear you ok, slow down and say excuse me when i reach near him/her.

but now some people obviously just walk in the middle of the pavement even when seeing you approach. I had a few where the guy sees me approaching and suddenly change direction to cause me to lose control. :cry:

I was in japan for a month and people really give way. Why can't we be more gracious? :D

BECAUSE IT IS A PEDESTRIAN WALKWAY. Been answered a million times already.

It's not that Singaporeans arn't gracious, but you sound like you just want your way and everything to suit you.

the speed is seriously not going to cause anybody to die. maybe a few scratches. that's it.
no one is seriously going to get injured. if not why Japan encourages people to cycle on the pavement? really look around at the biker next time on the pavement. We don't speed that much. we just want to share the road is that too much to ask? :cry:

Japan is Japan, Singapore is Singapore. Doesn't matter if you speed or don't speed on the walkway, the issue is the inconvenience you cause to others because of your sheer presence. Get this point, IT IS THE INCONVENIENCE YOU CAUSE.

I think it's ok for the cyclists to ride on the pavement because it's safer on the pavement for them than on the road. I have never heard anyone got killed by cyclists yet but I often read many cyclists were killed on the road. The cyclists also have to consider the safety of the perdestrains too so they have to exercise caution. :)

Well, perhaps there is another legislation (which I will try to find out) and this is not the right one - however do note that the Police have issued advisories on the Straits Times on this issue.

Also, I note that it is possible to interpret the Rule to mean that a Bicycle must travel on the left hand side of the roadway and no where else. This is not a prohibitive Rule but an enabling one:

Every bicycle shall be ridden close to the left hand edge of the roadwayand in such a manner as not to obstruct vehicles moving at a faster speed.

Which means if you do not comply with the above, you are committing an offence.

That said, it is just my humble interpretation/opinion - it may not be correct and I state upfront that I'm not certain on it. I stand corrected if anyone else has a better source of law.

it does not explicitly outlaw cycling on pavements.

Status
Not open for further replies.