Cycling on the pavement, who has the right of way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the whole situation is very simple, and going by the response we got here, if the pedestrian see a bike coming heads on , they will give way out of coutesy, but if the bike is coming from the back......one can't possibly blame them for not giving way to something they can't see, right?

yes, i agree. however, in such circumstances, would ringing a bicycle bell discretely be deemed rude? i do not think so.

I think the whole situation is very simple, and going by the response we got here, if the pedestrian see a bike coming heads on , they will give way out of coutesy, but if the bike is coming from the back......one can't possibly blame them for not giving way to something they can't see, right?

yes, i agree. however, in such circumstances, would ringing a bicycle bell discretely be deemed rude? i do not think so.

Yes, it's rude.
What u can do;
1. Ring ur bell once or twice, or say 'Excuse Me'. If pedestrian still did not give way, u can cycle onto the grass & pass them.
2. Say 'Thank You' if they move aside for u to pass. I doubt many cyclists do this.

Bell = the Horn of a car.
To be use during emergency only, to avoid a collision etc. The word is AVOID.
Pls dun argue that I ring my bell to warn them, if they dun more aside & give way, I will hit them. This is not avoiding.

Not ring ur bell discretely behind the pedestrians, it's annoying. We are not animals.

Yes, it's rude.
What u can do;
1. Ring ur bell once or twice, or say 'Excuse Me'. If pedestrian still did not give way, u can cycle onto the grass & pass them.
2. Say 'Thank You' if they move aside for u to pass. I doubt many cyclists do this.

Bell = the Horn of a car.
To be use during emergency only, to avoid a collision etc. The word is AVOID.
Pls dun argue that I ring my bell to warn them, if they dun more aside & give way, I will hit them. This is not avoiding.

Not ring ur bell discretely behind the pedestrians, it's annoying. We are not animals.

I agree with that. As a cyclist, I've unintentionally startled a few pedestrians by ringing my bell, however discreetly I try to do it (ringing a bell discreetly is like getting just a little bit pregnant - it's not possible). So I avoid it whenever possible, and save it only for emergencies.

To draw attention to the fact that there is a cyclist behind them (on the cycle path) I change gears or give a little cough. That little noise is enough to alert them without causing them to jump. Almost all of the time, they will politely give way.

ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring

that is rude

ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring

that is rude

Maybe next time we should each carry a bell whenever we go. eg shopping, market, jog, swim, in the bus etc
Use it discretely when somebody get in our way. :think:
Gary will make a big earnings from importing more Cateyes bells from Taiwan.

okay lah, onz. you go cycle on the road then i honk at you discreetly, to ask you to give way to me. not rude, right or not?

err... what I do while jogging on small pavements is to jingle my housekeys everytime I near a pedestrian. Most people will walk to one side hearing the jingle. Maybe all you need to to tie a bell to you bicycle.

Maybe next time we should each carry a bell whenever we go. eg shopping, market, jog, swim, in the bus etc
Use it discretely when somebody get in our way. :think:
Gary will make a big earnings from importing more Cateyes bells from Taiwan.

like that not shiok lah, must be on the bike. so that you can just ring, then when ppl get annoyed, you can cycle fast fast past them, or happy happy show them your middle finger lor.

err... what I do while jogging on small pavements is to jingle my housekeys everytime I near a pedestrian. Most people will walk to one side hearing the jingle. Maybe all you need to to tie a bell to you bicycle.

when i jog, usually ppl in front will give way before i near them. cos my heavy breathing will alert them from far far away.. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

not every time. as a runner on the pavement, i usually cough(pretend) at a sufficient distance so as to be effective and timely that i do not have to change my pace, hopefully.
if not, i sidestepped them.

as a pedestrian, what i do not want is 1. to be startled by a cyclist whizzing past me without warning and 2. end up with an accident with a cyclist who silently creeped up to me and for some unknown reason, an accident ensues.

as a cyclist, what i do want is not to be startled by a pedestrian who make unexpected and sudden moves as i approach. this can be mitigated by the discreet use of bell and perceived change of body language of pedestrian. thank you.

when i jog, usually ppl in front will give way before i near them. cos my heavy breathing will alert them from far far away.. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

not every time. as a runner on the pavement, i usually cough(pretend) at a sufficient distance so as to be effective and timely that i do not have to change my pace, hopefully.
if not, i sidestepped them.

as a pedestrian, what i do not want is 1. to be startled by a cyclist whizzing past me without warning and 2. end up with an accident with a cyclist who silently creeped up to me and for some unknown reason, an accident ensues.

as a cyclist, what i do want is not to be startled by a pedestrian who make unexpected and sudden moves as i approach. this can be mitigated by the discreet use of bell and perceived change of body language of pedestrian. thank you.

Yes,

As a runner, I either cough or run onto one of the iron drain covers (but from a distance away so that it is loud enough for the people infront and not close enough to startle them.)

about ringing a bell, yes, its there for a purpose , but if one do it more then a couple of times, it does startle the people in front as it give them a sense that the bike was coming from their back at a fast speed.

wah i go camp and come back and it's still on-going -.-! midnight cycling anyone? =D road, hope cars dont speed and kill us.

well, pedestrians can gauge how far or near the cyclist is by their auditory sense of where the ringing took place. so, ringing need not always be startling or emanate from a 'fast speed' cyclist.

about ringing a bell, yes, its there for a purpose , but if one do it more then a couple of times, it does startle the people in front as it give them a sense that the bike was coming from their back at a fast speed.

well, pedestrians can gauge how far or near the cyclist is by their auditory sense of where the ringing took place. so, ringing need not always be startling or emanate from a 'fast speed' cyclist.

you cant assume everyone else has good auditory sense or is actually paying attention to your ringing. it is as good as saying a car driver should honk a jaywalker not looking your way and expect them to avoid you, while you happily keep to your speed.

this is just as selfish and inconsiderate.

my question to these bikers... whats the problem of taking a few seconds more to look out for other humans infront of you?

as a driver, i dont see a problem giving bicycles on the road a wider berth when i pass by them, why can't cyclist do the same? (to begin with, for very selfish reasons, i can say i pay road tax. but for the sake of argument, i'm not going to say cyclist have priorites of the pavement....)

or should i just keep to 'its my right of way' behind the bikers and honk continousily with my modified horns?

if you don't agree, wont that make these selfish cyclists worst of the lot of road users?

yes, it is not always startling, but when it does, it could do some damage, this is where it would be safer to err on the safe side

Status
Not open for further replies.