Cycling on the pavement, who has the right of way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
once, i was told this by a pedestrian. when asked 'who say so'. they are dumbfounded.

Not supposed to cycle on pavements. Supposed to cycle on roads and also to observe trffic rules. ;)

pedestrians are the "biggest" in Singapore.
so anyone will got to give way other then disable personnel.

what's wrong with giving way to pedestrian??? i think it's all about the mindset... about being considerate to other people using the road... when i was in the US i had a very pleasent experience of drivers giving way to pedestrians with a friendly wave and smile, not like in Singapore where most likely you will only get a big honk and an angry stare... it's really quite rare to see such things happening here in Singapore, maybe people here are too stressed huh? I guess this is something that we have got to learn from them, being considerate to others around you...

Take some time slow down and smell the flowers... it'll make your day better... :)

once, i was told this by a pedestrian. when asked 'who say so'. they are dumbfounded.

Hahha.. I once hit the backside of a man from the back with my racer.
He confronted me, I kept saying sorry to him, but he still very angry. Almost wanted to beat me up.
then I asked him this ' This is a road, why are u walking in the middle of a road, not pavement?'
he just walked away.

it is illegal btw to ride a bicycle on the pathway. however this law is hardly enforced. even if u are as suay as me, the fine is only $20. so hardly anyone cares about it. i didn't know it was illegal until the day i kenna stop my a police car.

anyway, if cycling on the pathway is illegal, why do the policeman on patrol still ride on the pathway?:dunno:

On the road, if i get hit by a bus / taxi / car I DIE:cry:

On the pavement, if i hit a perdestrain, i survive, i can still say sorry.

I really hate to see young children / old folks riding on the road because of this stupid law and get killed.

no. warning others that i am behind and approaching towards them. or to keep to one side and to let me pass. on most occasions, i received and appreciated considerate gestures.

yes, those with two ears plugged with earphones, i keep ringing.
only a narrow pathway maybe. but the person with the earphone will get a pretty rude shock.

Cycling is the same as driving, always practise defensive cycling. When cycling on the road, always try to look ahead, and anticipate how other drivers will react to you. Think like a driver, and you should be able to avoid a lot of potential accidents.

And if you have to cycle on a pavement, don't act like you are the king of the pavement and expect pedestrain to give way to you. Cycle on to the grass patch if neccessary to overtake. Many times I see cyclists forcing other pedestrain to walk onto the grass patch to avoid collision with the bicycle.

Another major peeve of mine is seeing inconsiderate cyclist cycling inside the neighbourhood shopping mall or other crowded places. With so many people walking around, and with kids running around, the chance of an accident is very high. Often I have to grab hold of my kids to prevent them colliding with these cyclist. Some of them don't even bother to slow down. They should be pushing their bikes in this situation.

Most of the time I'll cycle on the road, it is not that scary, just need to be more defensive. But sometime I do cycle on a pavement, but I always overtake by riding onto the grass patch or just wait patiently. I have never ring any bell when I cycle. Why? Because my bicycle don't have one, and I don't see the need to have one. It is just an additional deadweight on my bike:sticktong

I really hate to see young children / old folks riding on the road because of this stupid law and get killed.
that would be due to people not respecting each other on the road and not paying attention to their surroundings while on the road.

That's one of the reasons why it is not enforced.
u are given the 'privilege' to cycle on the pavement. But remember to give way to pedestrians, rather than expecting them to give way to u.

I live in Compassvale St and we have very nice pavement along our estate.....but very unfortunately some black sheep rode their bicycle too fast and make hell lot of noise with their bell...it's noise polution in a rather prestine environment so it's frustating and annoying :dunno:

Also the area is full of running kids and oldies becoz of proximity to the park and playground....so it's a tragedy waiting to happen.....for the interest of the pedestriant, I strongly against cyclist cycling on the pavement.....and if have to pls give way......However I also know that those who convicted are not the people who posted here :dunno: They are mainly foreign workers, housewives and youngsters :sweat:

This is quite a selfish thought, you sound like it is ok to knock into pedestrain.

Instead, what we should do is to build more cycling lanes, and educate everybody on the proper use of these lanes. If the European countries like France and Holland can have lots of dedicated cycling lane without drivers or pedestrain mis-using it, I'm sure Singapore can eventually follow suit.

What a self-fish way of thinking.

Hey maybe you should post your face so if I see you walking around I'll just run into you and say sorry. Don't worry about posting a picture of your back I already know what it looks like. You probably drive like you ride like you're own the damn road and everyone should way to you.

Hey maybe you should post your face so if I see you walking around I'll just run into you and say sorry. Don't worry about posting a picture of your back I already know what it looks like. You probably drive the way you ride, like you own the damn road and that everyone should get out of your way or give way to you.

i understand perfectly that i have to give way as well. :D we cycle nicely on the pavement. it used to be that when we approach a person behind, we ring a bit they notice you and give way, good. i respect that. if they don't hear you ok, slow down and say excuse me when i reach near him/her.

but now some people obviously just walk in the middle of the pavement even when seeing you approach. I had a few where the guy sees me approaching and suddenly change direction to cause me to lose control. :cry:

I was in japan for a month and people really give way. Why can't we be more gracious? :D

This is quite a selfish thought, you sound like it is ok to knock into pedestrain.

Instead, what we should do is to build more cycling lanes, and educate everybody on the proper use of these lanes. If the European countries like France and Holland can have lots of dedicated cycling lane without drivers or pedestrain mis-using it, I'm sure Singapore can eventually follow suit.

This have been debated in paliament
http://habitatnews.nus.edu.sg/news/cycling/blog/2005/02/10th-parliamentary-debates-2003_18.html

I feel that we as a society, is still not considerate and safety concious enough. Cyclist don't dare to cycle on the road as drivers are not considerate, and drive like king of the road. Pedestrain have to walk with care on the pavement, as some cyclist expect them to give way and cycle like king of the pavement.

Another thing is cyclist don't protect themself enough and cry that it is dangerous to cycle on the road. Hands up here, those who always cycle with a helmet on. And wear proper shoes and gloves. And how many of us actually have rear lights and headlights on our bicycle. Some don't even have a rear deflector. When cycling at night, who have thought of wearing bright clothing to increase visibility. Sad to say, too few cyclist do that. So don't whine on how dangerous it is when you are creating danger yourself.

Hey maybe you should post your face so if I see you walking around I'll just run into you and say sorry. Don't worry about posting a picture of your back I already know what it looks like. You probably drive the way you ride, like you own the damn road and that everyone should get out of your way or give way to you.

Ok i am sorry if i offended someone.

but the fact is the bike's speed will not cause serious injury to the pedestrian. Seriously.

do you know the impact if the psycho bus ram you from behind?
do you know most cyclist die because the taxi in front of them suddenly turn in and brake?

If you are a parent, i am sure if your children want to cycle, you would also seriously tell them NOT to cycle on the road. It is dangerous. :(

i understand perfectly that i have to give way as well. :D we cycle nicely on the pavement. it used to be that when we approach a person behind, we ring a bit they notice you and give way, good. i respect that. if they don't hear you ok, slow down and say excuse me when i reach near him/her.

but now some people obviously just walk in the middle of the pavement even when seeing you approach. I had a few where the guy sees me approaching and suddenly change direction to cause me to lose control. :cry:

I was in japan for a month and people really give way. Why can't we be more gracious? :D

Being gracious is one thing. But have you ever thought how fustrated these people are with cyclists. It is not your fault, but a few bad sheep is enough to make some people dislike cyclist.

I feel that we as a society, is still not considerate and safety concious enough. Cyclist don't dare to cycle on the road as drivers are not considerate, and drive like king of the road. Pedestrain have to walk with care on the pavement, as some cyclist expect them to give way and cycle like king of the pavement.

Another thing is cyclist don't protect themself enough and cry that it is dangerous to cycle on the road. Hands up here, those who always cycle with a helmet on. And wear proper shoes and gloves. And how many of us actually have rear lights and headlights on our bicycle. Some don't even have a rear deflector. When cycling at night, who have thought of wearing bright clothing to increase visibility. Sad to say, too few cyclist do that. So don't whine on how dangerous it is when you are creating danger yourself.

Agreed.
But, Singapore is still a young nation. We grow too fast, but our thinking & behaviour are not catching up.
Give it another generation or two.

Moreover, many things we cannot just compare with other countries. They have resources & land. What do we have?
If S'pore's pace of living is like NZ or Aust, I believe people here will not horn at u.
It is the stress living in a Fast-pace city that made us impatient & unhelpful.

Ok i am sorry if i offended someone.

but the fact is the bike's speed will not cause serious injury to the pedestrian. Seriously.

do you know the impact if the psycho bus ram you from behind?
do you know most cyclist die because the taxi in front of them suddenly turn in and brake?

If you are a parent, i am sure if your children want to cycle, you would also seriously tell them NOT to cycle on the road. It is dangerous. :(

So long for those who are not confident cycling on the road, by all means, cycle on the pavements. But bear in mind to give way to pedestrians. A thank you or a sample smile when a person gives way for u to ride pass will make everyone's day better.
DUN JUST ring ur bell all the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.