Cycling on the pavement, who has the right of way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes, those with two ears plugged with earphones, i keep ringing.

Like that is going to make them get out of the way. Can't you just move over to the grass. Why do yo have to be such a jerk!

I have read a book about making use of your bicycle for regular commuting. One of the advise on safety when cycling on roads is to obey all traffic rules for cars and motorcycle. That would mean signalling your intention early, stop when the traffic lights turn red, stop at the stop sign before moving off etc etc. Basically you follow all the traffic rules.

Another important point is to travel on the same lane as straight as possible, and not weave in and out of the lane, eg. when cycling past a bus bay or parking lot, don't turn into it hoping to give yourself more space, later turn out into the same lane again. This makes you more unpredictable for other drivers to respond.

Maybe we should make basic theory as a compulsory subject for everybody when they are still in school.....

I remember many years ago cyclist need to have a "L" plate........with more people like the TS, maybe it's time to bring it back

Well said.

Someone here chose to ignore this. Next time I come across a certain cyclist ringing the bell indiscriminately, I'll throw a banana skin lined with grease in the path of that cyclist and make sure that "certain cyclist" will skid and fall

Oh and don't worry, the fall from a bicycle will not cause serious injury to the "certain cyclist" - only some bruises

what a fine example of a "gentleman" in this forum. Let me get this straight, in this whole debate i have never used such despicable actions to describe and to belittle other Csers. however you have somebody like this to say such things. throwing a banana skins lined with grease to cause me to skid and fall. haha. seriously folks, you can do better than this!

such kind of remarks show what kind of person you are. Since you hate cyclists on the pavement so much, next time i suggest to you. why don't you keep a whole bag full of banana skins and fling it at cyclists when you see us.

Right now there are many women carrying children in the baby seat at the back of the bike cycling on the pavement. next time if you see such cyclists throw a few banana skins and cause the women to fall and also cause the child to fly out. seriously please cause more death that way. The best arguement you can come up with about not allowing cyclists on the pavement is that it is against the law, i am a guest blah blah... dangerous ..... blah blah....
do you even think that matters? haha.

This whole thing is about how narrow hearted some people are. some people i find is such narrow. really. giving some way really pisses them off. Their justification is still the same... The Bloody pavement belongs to ME. cyclists are guest, so screw off. They even have the law backing them up. so on the surface they are safe. I don't want the arguement to degenerate to i first, i first, kind of thing. really how old are you guys?

Let me just give you guys some advise.

Be more broad hearted, even if you don't want to give way. fine. you don't have to use such despicable ways to attack us.

Next time you see a cyclist on the pavement, call 999, see if the police will laugh at you. haha.

dennis kee. please look after your parents, siblings and nieces, what? you are not married? maybe you have a girlfriend? I hope so. be more broad hearted, maybe you can find a girl. I worry for you.

Cycling on the pavement is not morally wrong. that is why the police will always close one eye. you can never win because bike sales are going up each year and bike bells are selling more and more each year. This year i have been importing even more cateyes bell from taiwan then last year. Bikers are switching from old mountain bikes to full suspension bikes. you will only see more of us on the pavement.

Please post more insults and more "advise" for me make the views for this post rocket to 10000. more people can see this post. haha.

since you proclaim to like photography so much.... take more pictures.... so many posts don't look good. What? you spend the whole day in front of the computer? Get a life.

Oh dear, you have so many opponents to your views here, you can't address all of us, whether we are cyclists or not.

Seriously, you should try playing this up on cyclists' forums like Togoparts and SGcycling, but even there, I suspect you might not be able to get all the support you want.

By the way, what's that you say? You're actually a guy who imports cycling related products? It all figures, then.

You want to challenge the law? I will take it up with you if you are serious.

Next time you see a cyclist on the pavement, call 999, see if the police will laugh at you. haha.

I have been to Japan. Japan is a very developed country. The cyclists there are allowed to cycle on the pavements. In fact they encourage it. :D

they have some many bikes lining the pavements. they even have special racks for them to put the bikes. So many executives cycle to work, to and fro....

I don't understand why in singapore we are treated this way... anyone who has been to Japan will know this. :)

I agree with you. I was in Osaka 2 years ago. The residents like to cycle to the train station, and catch the train for work.They cycle on the pavement but are very cautious when there is pedestrian nearby:thumbsup:

I agree with you. I was in Osaka 2 years ago. The residents like to cycle to the train station, and catch the train for work.They cycle on the pavement but are very cautious when there is pedestrian nearby:thumbsup:

Do the jap ring their bells & expect the pedestrians to give way?

no, they run you over and back up twice over to make sure you cant do anything to them. :bsmilie:

Jokes aside. I live in Osaka and generally they are slow enough and patient enough to wait for you to make way for them. I got hit a few times when they were in a rush, people here make way when possible and if possible, out of courtesy and/or for personal safety. Aunties here in Osaka can get pretty mad too if you dont make way for them, I dare say the way that some of them argue puts a lot of lawyers to shame :bsmilie:

Gary Wong: You are not making a lot of sense here in the first place. On the pavement, giving way goes for both sides, either the pesdestrian or the cyclist give way. So on any given pavement, if the pedestrian doesnt give way to you so that you can cycle through, you get mad. How about the pedestrian? Wouldnt he/she get annoyed since they were just happily walking until a cyclist have to come over and make them move to one side just to make way to you.

Seems to me that you are so foccused on your side of reasoning that you are not thinking from the pedestrian`s POV. You brought up the reasoning that it is ok for cyclists to knock pedestrians rather than a vehicle hitting a cyclist, that started the whole ball rolling. Before you start going the whole "pot calling the kettle black" routine, please go back and read through the whole thread.

On the pavement, giving way to cyclists is optional, whether people do it or not is up to them. YOU DO NOT HAVE A RIGHT TO GET ANGRY. How would you feel if you were walking happily and every now and then you have to move to one side to give way. Of course you would not be happy. Think from the pedestrian`s POV, please. I do ride a bike, please tell me which shop is yours, I will make sure I avoid it.

aiya Gary, forget the whole thing lah. Since you like photography so much, just go out and take pictures, no point getting angry over such a trival issue as whether folks should give way to you. That's just so silly.

Cycling on the pavement is not morally wrong. that is why the police will always close one eye. you can never win because bike sales are going up each year and bike bells are selling more and more each year. This year i have been importing even more cateyes bell from taiwan then last year. Bikers are switching from old mountain bikes to full suspension bikes. you will only see more of us on the pavement.
do you mean parallel importing cateyes bells?
and what does fullsus bikes have anything to do with more of them on pavements? u need fullsus to ride on pavements?

Nobody said that cycling on pavement is morally wrong. We are just saying cycling on pavement is against the law.
eg drinking on MRT trains & buses are not morally wrong, but they are against the law.
This is not enforced strictly too.

Bike sales are going up doesn't mean more cyclists are going to cycle on the pavement, in turn doesn't mean more of those cycling on the pavement are going to Ring their Cateyes bell & expect the pedestians to give way.

Gary, from ur post above, you can never win tells me what type of person u are too.
There's no point arguing with u any further.
Since u think u are Right, maybe u can show us some proof of S'porean cyclists supporting ur way of thinking.

Good Luck.

what a fine example of a "gentleman" in this forum. Let me get this straight, in this whole debate i have never used such despicable actions to describe and to belittle other Csers. however you have somebody like this to say such things. throwing a banana skins lined with grease to cause me to skid and fall. haha. seriously folks, you can do better than this!

such kind of remarks show what kind of person you are. Since you hate cyclists on the pavement so much, next time i suggest to you. why don't you keep a whole bag full of banana skins and fling it at cyclists when you see us.

Right now there are many women carrying children in the baby seat at the back of the bike cycling on the pavement. next time if you see such cyclists throw a few banana skins and cause the women to fall and also cause the child to fly out. seriously please cause more death that way. The best arguement you can come up with about not allowing cyclists on the pavement is that it is against the law, i am a guest blah blah... dangerous ..... blah blah....
do you even think that matters? haha.

This whole thing is about how narrow hearted some people are. some people i find is such narrow. really. giving some way really pisses them off. Their justification is still the same... The Bloody pavement belongs to ME. cyclists are guest, so screw off. They even have the law backing them up. so on the surface they are safe. I don't want the arguement to degenerate to i first, i first, kind of thing. really how old are you guys?

Let me just give you guys some advise.

Be more broad hearted, even if you don't want to give way. fine. you don't have to use such despicable ways to attack us.

dennis kee. please look after your parents, siblings and nieces, what? you are not married? maybe you have a girlfriend? I hope so. be more broad hearted, maybe you can find a girl. I worry for you.

Please post more insults and more "advise" for me make the views for this post rocket to 10000. more people can see this post. haha.

since you proclaim to like photography so much.... take more pictures.... so many posts don't look good. What? you spend the whole day in front of the computer? Get a life.

do you have problems reading? we are talking about cyclists whose arse gone bad. are you one of them? just wondering :D

btw i still give way to cyclists whenever they are nice to me 1st. they dont anyhow speed or ring their bells madly at pedestrians who obviously are human beings whose eyes grow in front, not at the back of their heads. mind you, no one own the pavements, ya know ? :D

come to think of it, i might be arguing with someone who either puts his brain at home (if he has any), or simply is a spoilt brat, period. what's the pt ?

Alright, I had some time to look it up, the relevant subsidiary legislation is Rule 28 of the Road Traffic Rules:

28. No vehicle, except perambulators, shall be driven, parked or ridden on the footway of a road.

yes, i still am.

Alright, I had some time to look it up, the relevant subsidiary legislation is Rule 28 of the Road Traffic Rules:

28. No vehicle, except perambulators, shall be driven, parked or ridden on the footway of a road.

eh no leh, vince. this gary guy is basically saying 'pavement si lim peh eh lor. siam kui' :sticktong look wat he posted..

i think basically he doesn't care about the rules or ethics, for that matter. he simply walks/cycles like a crab. and very often, crabs are such delicacies to be served, doncha think? ;)

Hi all,

Just want to get everybody's opinion. I cycle a lot. I cycle to buy food, I cycle to exercise, etc. However I always try to cycle on the pavement. Why?

it is safer
there are no crazy bus drivers wanting to ram you at the back
there is no taxi driver in front of you and suddenly brake
there are less rocks and stones and glass on the pavement
etc

everytime i cycle on the pavement, i always make it a point to have a small bell to warn people that I am coming from behind or in front. however, nowadays i notice that people are beginning to ignore the bell rings as well. :( what is happening? some pretend that they never hear and force you off the pavement purposely. who has the right of way? can everybody give cyclists a break? :cry:

why don't u cyclists give other road users a break and stop cycling on the road and pavement? Why are the general pple wanting to ignore u pple or wanting to ram you pple into a piece of minced meat? The reason is very simple.......you guys are a bunch of "dangerous" road users endangering the life and future of the general road users. When you ride on the road, motorists will have to specially look out for you pple coz you pple have no general respect for the traffic rules, you sway in and out along the road, don't bother to signal when you wish to go left or right, bo chap the traffic light even if its red telling you clearly that you shouldn't cross and when pple rammed into you pple, their life and future are in grave danger of going down the drain.....motor licence revoke, court case, compensation, not to mention sense of guilt for life if should you pple get killed in the accident.
when you ride on the pavement, most of you pple think that your bell is very big and loud and everyone that hears it must give way to you but haven't you pple think of why the pavement is made in the 1st place? Strictly speaking, the pavement is not even meant to be made for you bunch of pple but for the pedestrain. And why pedestrain ignore you pple? Reason is very simple, firstly they have the right of way, secondly, I'm sure most of them are sick of you pple crashing into them and then just ride off as if nothing has happened.

If you seriously wish to cycle, please do so in the park and on the lane that is marked for cyclist. I ever came across this stupid cyclist who was happliy talking on his phone while cycling and nearly crash into me at the carpark but instead, he was the one lying on the carpark (gave his bike a good kick and there he go, lying on the ground). You may think that I am very harsh in my action but hey its either he hurt me or I hurt him and in this case I rather take the latter case.

vince, could you help to interpret in laymen's term. perhaps, look up the definition of vehicle, footway of a road too. perambulators meaning prams, wheelchairs? thanks.

RSA S2: "vehicle" means any vehicle whether mechanically propelled or otherwise. You should have been able to look it up too :)

I am unaware of any statutory definition of footway or perambulators, so those should be in its ordinary meaning, or you can wait for the courts to interpret it :).

Anyway, that's the rule, and Rule 28 is confirmed by the Commanding Officer of the Road Safety Branch in the Traffic Police. So yeah thats to me, good enough authority for the time being (unless you have an actual court case and want to do more research).

vince, could you help to interpret in laymen's term. perhaps, look up the definition of vehicle, footway of a road too. perambulators meaning prams, wheelchairs? thanks.

many thanks. btw, did tp confirmed to you in writing?

RSA S2: "vehicle" means any vehicle whether mechanically propelled or otherwise. You should have been able to look it up too :)

I am unaware of any statutory definition of footway or perambulators, so those should be in its ordinary meaning, or you can wait for the courts to interpret it :).

Anyway, that's the rule, and Rule 28 is confirmed by the Commanding Officer of the Road Safety Branch in the Traffic Police. So yeah thats to me, good enough authority for the time being (unless you have an actual court case and want to do more research).

I cycle on the pavement too, but I also know that it's the pedestrain pavement. Therefore, the pedestrains have the right of way. In fact, I find it annoying when I see other cyclists ring their bells as they weave pass the pedestrains. I try not to ring the bell when I cycle on the pavement. I just follow behind the pedestrains, cycling slowly. So far, most of the pedestrians will notice me behind after a short while, and will move one side to give way to me. I would usually thank them for that too. I believe that will allow cyclists and pedestrains to co-exist on the pavement without trouble. BTW, I also know that cyclists are legally not allowed on the pavement.:sweat:

if anyone had thought in your way so no problem. Actually, to me, from malaysia, i find it is normal to see people biking on the pedestrain pavement, since the road is too dangerous..

but of course, it is annoyed when people ring u to give way or just simple cycling you with a fast speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.