Cycling on the pavement, who has the right of way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just move to the side a bit. nobody needs to die. how many times do i have to say, with my speed nobody is going to die. just move a bit will make you lose face is it?

Who say "not" ?

If a cyclist knock down a pregnant woman with ur percieve speed , are you sure that the mother will not get miscarriage because of "my speed nobody is going to die"?

I'd like to highlight that not all cyclists are like that, he with his self-centred thinking does not represent every cyclist you meet, whether on the road or pavement, fully togged out on a nice bike, or a Bangladeshi worker riding a rusty ah-pek bike.

I am a cyclist too, and I do not subscribe to his notions.

I use the pavement when I see fit, but I am always aware that I am officially not allowed there - just being there is a privilege. That is the legislation and I abide by it. Before you say I am a lemming just following rules, I'll just say that I don't believe in flouting rules to show my objection to them.

So if a policeman stops me (and it has happened before) and tells me I have to get off and walk, I do as I am told. I don't get into a moral and ethical debate on why I should be riding on the pavement.

When I am on the road I ride predictably and responsibly and stay on the left curb edge unless absolutely necessary to make a right turn.

You say you don't feel safe on the road, that is why you ride on pavement. Have you taken the measures to ensure your own safety on the road (like light-coloured clothing, lights, and safety gear). You are responsible for your own safety. You talk as if you'd rather be in the position where people have to give way to you, rather than you on the road giving way to cars.

Got an ego problem?

Suggestion for you, Gary. Try walking down the bicycle lane in East Coast Park for half an hour, with cyclists zipping by you. See how you like it.

I'd like to highlight that not all cyclists are like that, he with his self-centred thinking does not represent every cyclist you meet, whether on the road or pavement, fully togged out on a nice bike, or a Bangladeshi worker riding a rusty ah-pek bike.

I use the pavement when I see fit, but I am always aware that I am officially not allowed there - just being there is a privilege. That is the legislation and I abide by it. Before you say I am a lemming just following rules, I'll just say that I don't believe in flouting rules to show my objection to them.

So if a policeman stops me (and it has happened before) and tells me I have to get off and walk, I do as I am told. I don't get into a moral and ethical debate on why I should be riding on the pavement.

When I am on the road I ride predictably and responsibly and stay on the left curb edge unless absolutely necessary to make a right turn.

You say you don't feel safe on the road, that is why you ride on pavement. Have you taken the measures to ensure your own safety on the road (like light-coloured clothing, lights, and safety gear). You are responsible for your own safety. You talk as if you'd rather be in the position where people have to give way to you, rather than you on the road giving way to cars.

Got an ego problem?

Suggestion for you, Gary. Try walking down the bicycle lane in East Coast Park for half an hour, with cyclists zipping by you. See how you like it.

You are an example of considerate fine cyclists, as are many of my cyclists friends.

Got an ego problem?

I'm a cyclist too, and I totally agree with what r32 said. We have to be responsible for our own safety and never expect everyone to give way to us, no matter who has right of way.

Cyclist think that pavement is safer than the road? I doubt so. Pavement might have uneven area over night and therefore, can cause accident easily. I ever witness ppl falling on the pavement. Furthermore, there are ppl walking on the pavement in all direction, how to u avoid them when they are slower than u?

On the road, IF you travel according to the traffic, obey the rules like stop at traffic lights etc... chances of you been hit by a vehicle is slim. I been cycling on the road n hardly got accident but once on pavement or lobby area, i got problem with it.

Bells on the bicycle for ppl when they coming out from no where n you signal them. Not asking u to use it to ask ppl to give way. I saw with my own eyes, 2 idiot cyclists cycling at high speed on pavement n keep ringing the bell to signal other to give way. Like they own the road, wanted to scold them on the spot n then call police over. :angry: I notice a lot of cyclist having bicycle with gear system but they hardly know how to use it. Most of them use the center for front n back. That speed, totally useless for riding. Therefore, from this incident, why ppl dare not to cycle on the road.

Cyclist who own road bike, shouldn't be on the pavement too. Those speed can reach a high of 50km/h if they really go n pedal it hard. As the bike is suitable for road, I wonder why some ppl use it on the pavement. I ever encounter a gp of road bikers(3), use a lane for travelling. When I cycle on the road, I follow the double yellow line whenever possible. That's why sometime I wonder why got accident if ones who cycle on the road obey the rules? :think:

Think time for govt to come out with a law to protect the right of using the pavement. Cycling allow only at limited speed. If you speeding, ppl got the right NOT to give way. Esp during peak hours, really want to closeline one of those cyclist if they speeding towards me. :devil:

existing legislations are adequate to protect against cyclists who flout traffic rules or who disregard the safety of others.

Think time for govt to come out with a law to protect the right of using the pavement. Cycling allow only at limited speed. If you speeding, ppl got the right NOT to give way. Esp during peak hours, really want to closeline one of those cyclist if they speeding towards me. :devil:

I thought you were wondering whether there is any legislation prohibiting cycling on the pavement?

existing legislations are adequate to protect against cyclists who flout traffic rules or who disregard the safety of others.

This reminds me of a scene i saw in orchard road one day... This yaya cyclist in those tour de france cycling gear and riding some really expensive looking bike shouted very rudely at a passenger in the car who had opened his car door to get out. obviously the passenger wasn't checking and taht was his fault but he was parked alongside close to the curb so i assume it he must have assumed that no one would be dumb enough to cycle through. some how the cyclist managed to swerve out of the way and ride onto the curb as it wasn't that high, close shave huh... "Oei!! Look!!!" he shouted, two fingers pointing to his eyes. Very rudely signalling to the passenger. I thought to myself: " What an idiot cyclist cycling along vehicle infested orchard road cutting between curbs and cars parked along the side."

Cyclists really shouldn't cycle so fast and if they need to practise for the tour de france, maybe they should do it in less crowded areas, on the roads at non peak hours. I am a cyclist but not a hardcore one btw.

gary just go togoparts and post your views there and see what the majority fellow cyclists think.

gary just go togoparts and post your views there and see what the majority fellow cyclists think.

In fact, there're many local forums debating on this topic. IIRC, all are against cycling on pavement. This incl TogoParts.

I have read a book about making use of your bicycle for regular commuting. One of the advise on safety when cycling on roads is to obey all traffic rules for cars and motorcycle. That would mean signalling your intention early, stop when the traffic lights turn red, stop at the stop sign before moving off etc etc. Basically you follow all the traffic rules.

Another important point is to travel on the same lane as straight as possible, and not weave in and out of the lane, eg. when cycling past a bus bay or parking lot, don't turn into it hoping to give yourself more space, later turn out into the same lane again. This makes you more unpredictable for other drivers to respond.

Maybe we should make basic theory as a compulsory subject for everybody when they are still in school.....

In fact, there're many local forums debating on this topic. IIRC, all are against cycling on pavement. This incl TogoParts.
exactly.

Used to work at Ubi and my side there got many heavy vehicles, there are many cyclist on the pavement and you hardly see one on the road.

I think even no one will dare cycle on the road togather with those big lorry who can't even see you if you stop side by side with them at traffic lights.

Used to work at Ubi and my side there got many heavy vehicles, there are many cyclist on the pavement and you hardly see one on the road.

I think even no one will dare cycle on the road togather with those big lorry who can't even see you if you stop side by side with them at traffic lights.

In places like Ubi, Lentor & Lornie Rd, where traffic are heavy & vehicles travel fast, u are encouraged to cycle on the pavement if u are not confident.
When on Pedestian pavement, as highlighted many times in this thread, slow down when approaching pedestrians.

I'm a roadie, I still ride on the road in such places. Not that I wan to showoff, but due to the nature that Roadbike's wheels are super thin, cycling on pavement is also a big problem becos of the uneven surfaces.
At Lentor ave toward YCK, where the two left filter lanes up the ram towards SLE via CTE, gotta be very careful.

if im not wrong, cycling on the pavements is NOT allowed. those who got caught would be fined. if only i could find the article... hmm... no matter..

i used to stay in bedok and i hate the path when i walked back home. some mindless cyclists would ring their bells irritatingly at me, and me being the partial daft one becos i was listening to my ipod, couldnt hear most of the time and guess what? some turned angry with me and one even raised his middle finger at me becos i didnt give way to him. talk about rights huh ? then 1 female cyclist who almost knocked into me, stopped and told me in an apologetic tone that they (these cyclists who wore blue uniforms) have to cycle to work everyday and rushing for work. so, talk about rights again.

as time goes by, i got numbed as the irritated cyclists rang their bells at me and i been trained to walk 1 side of the pavement. results? they get to rush to work in time, i get to enjoy my music and more peace. give n take lah...since some of us do jaywalks. your territory or mine ? ;p

I think it has come to a point that the police are not really enforcing the not riding on pavement ruling, more and more cyclists are taking advantage of it and are becoming bullies.

Bad enough we have road bullies, now we have to contend with pavement bullies.

I think it has come to a point that the police are not really enforcing the not riding on pavement ruling, more and more cyclists are taking advantage of it and are becoming bullies.

Bad enough we have road bullies, now we have to contend with pavement bullies.

unless police actually stationed themselves on pavements to actually nail those nasty cyclists down, i'm afraid the safety of pedestrains ain't insured. i personally think it would be unnecessary to take such drastic measures becos it would be unfair those considerate cyclists. it is those blacksheeps that think they own the pavements that ought to be shot.

gary, i am sorry but your tone in this thread is really absurd. i do wonder if you cycle all the time, and don't walk on the pavements. becos i would really love to see if there's another one of your kind to actually speed past you, ring their bells madly at you, and demand you get out of his/her path. good luck to you.

i think there are some people that needs to go back to road safety park to take course...

Status
Not open for further replies.