Criticisms and comments nowadays...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I totally agree with Jeanie...

nowadays, when post a picture and ask for C&C... even thou the picture is not so good, many ppl would reply: nice picture, love it.. but only a very few would give opinion on how to improve.

When I post my pictures and ask for C&C I would actually like ppl to really give critics to my pics and show my how to improve...

I do agree that sometimes the way DP criticizes is a bit rude but then he is one of the only few who can give comments better than nice pic or love it.. at least he tells you whats wrong with you picture....

:dunno:

Can you at least understand the simple fact that each of us view a picture differently? To a newbie, of course he might say nice shot for a mediocre picture but to a pro, it might be considered "trash". Now, who are we to judge which party is right or wrong in the way the see a picture?

If you consider yourself a person who is able to better judge a picture, then sure, come forth and share. But surely there isn't a need to adopt a condescending or sarcastic tone? Being direct is fine. But one can be direct without resorting to sarcasm or sound over bearing.

What is the point of being so high handed in your views of another person's photo? Does it make you a better person?

We are here to share and help each other grow and improve while being courteous or polite. I do not see whats wrong with that.

You need to give critique more!

I <3 your photos!

for a while i was thinking what that sign meant ... oh while, must be the generation gap working.

yes, ortega is more than qualified.

and many other pros.

as much as we try to give newbies a good environment to participate in, we need to make this place worth it for pros to come in as well.

for a while i was thinking what that sign meant ... oh while, must be the generation gap working.

yes, ortega is more than qualified.

and many other pros.

as much as we try to give newbies a good environment to participate in, we need to make this place worth it for pros to come in as well.
:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

You're also very young mar!

But how do you make it "worth it"? :dunno:

i love the cold.give me switzerland anytime.
thick gloves no prob.got hand warmer can already.:)

can i drop by and give u a visit if you are still in vancou in august?

haha sure...just contact me before you come... would like some singaporean ppl to visit me...missing Singapore a LOT!!

I refer to this post...

And this subsequent post... I find that it contradicts each other. On one hand you agree that CS is open to one and all and there are different standards that is inherent in all of us yet at the same time, you also bemoan the fact that certain comments are frowned upon.

I honestly do not know how to have you understand it from our point of view. If a thread came remain constructive, free of any form of malice, curt replies, pointless answers or even tactless comments, then why would anyone have to shut it down?

wolfy,
contradict?how?
i DO agree CS is open to one and all.
diff standards?yes.
bemoan certain comments frowned upon?yes.
dp has his 'own standards'.he shoots his own points/arguments/criticisms.
so why cant everyone take his comments?

i'm kind of slow at this hour, please elaborate on the last sentence.

:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

You're also very young mar!

But how do you make it "worth it"? :dunno:

some ways, there are more, but off hand

1. giving compliments to good postings.

2. discouraging picture dumping.

3. encouraging self critique and pro-active attitude

now that is a good question :thumbsup:

When I saw "wolfy" I laughed out loud behind my monitor. No offense meant to anyone of course.

Yeah, unless the pros like helping out. But they have business to run leh. I know, to get comments you must pay $1 per comment (since sgvideoman is paying $20 per pretty girl.. the idea is comical to me though).. =D

i feel when it comes to C&C, eikin is the man

ooops... speak of the devil

seriously, you shouldn't be saying this, there are more experienced guys out there like you. both knowledge and skills wise, i cannot match with the real pros out there yet.

some pros do drop in at critique corner once in a while, like you, catchlights etc. but we need more! more! more!

some ways, there are more, but off hand

1. giving compliments to good postings.

2. discouraging picture dumping.

3. encouraging self critique and pro-active attitude
You mean, everyone?

But why would the pros want to waste their time with any of these? I mean, other than those already present here and actively giving good critique (not many of those, tbh).

some pros do drop in at critique corner once in a while, like you, catchlights etc. but we need more! more! more!
We need more everywhere. =(

If got people as free as me (nowadays, anyways, next time probably not).. Almost everyday shoot, I think I can wait 40 years before I finish letting people critique every photo I think is worth throwing in there due to limitations. But I do understand why there are limitations though.

You mean, everyone?

But why would the pros want to waste their time with any of these? I mean, other than those already present here and actively giving good critique (not many of those, tbh).

yes i mean we need to promote such attitudes. this will help raise the quality of postings in CS, and that is the draw for people to come in. you want to attract the pros, you need to show that this place has got the right atmosphere and environment for them to perform. you cannot be expecting established photographers to be willing to contribute anything to a forum known to be full of kopitiam talk, pseudo critics and enclaves that sugar up each other.

actually, a pro(shoots for living) ever did email me.
he told me he didnt want to comment on pics cos if anything turns ugly, it'll affect his business/reputation.
just imagine a pro photog come slamming pics, or saying crap pics are GOOD.
can u imagine the repercussions on his business?
i reckon that's why they dont post much.for fear of offending people, or getting shot at.

but whenever they post pictures, people who knew they are pro will indefinitely say things like 'good shots', 'nice', 'more' and blah.
dont tell me you guys dont agree.:nono:

...however of late, if you do visit portraiture folder, i see pics which are ...*how should i put it*....not up to a certain standard, and i see some members throwing encouraging comments/remarks.you know, the GOOD words and angel phrases.

i would like to ask you guys, do you think, by throwing such 'good' comments, it's going to help the fellow cser improve their photography skills?

I don't go to photo galleries much and don't know the real situation here.

I think for a start you could set example by giving more "GENUINE, honest criticisms" and more people will follow in that direction.

I came across a critque by eikin recently and was impressed that he had taken time and trouble to give such an in-depth review of a photo someone posted. It makes us ask ourselves, "Hey maybe I shoud do something like this?"

However this is a free world. No one wants to dictate what to post or what to say about a photo. ClubSnap will find its rhythm and ebb and flow without us pushing it this way or that way.

Some people like this also Si Peh Boh Song like that also Si Peh Tu Lan. Moderators caution also Boh Song. Thread got locked also must start second and third one. Like that Lim Peh see also Boh Song. :bsmilie:

wolfy,
contradict?how?
diff standards?yes.

i guess you can put it this way..
i like kopi... doesn't mean the other fella drinks kopi.. *my sucky analogy*
each person has his/her own way of thinking and understanding things
and thus they behave and act differently.
i guess there is no real solution to this kind of questions.
i feel that the only way is to keep an open mind.. and try your best to understand why is that person like that... no offense to any one...

wolfy,
contradict?how?
diff standards?yes.

My post is already as clear as I can make it. You are not the only one tired at the moment. I am equally mentally worn out, if not more. But that is besides the point.

Again what you ask me to clarify is a fundamental part of human nature and the difference that is inherent in all of us.

If you ask why can't everyone can't take DP's comment, then I would like to put to you why must everyone accept his comment? Do you mean everyone is the same and must be comfortable with a particular person's style?

In fact, you know, it brings to point abt an incident from awhile back...

A CS member posted a picture and it got spoofed and the poster was really upset. Now, i ask myself why the first member is so upset? It is a spoof. A joke or a lark. Something to lighten the day's drudgery. Why should anyone get so upset?

But i looked at the person's point of view again and i realize that the poster put in a degree of effort and that shot probably meant a lot and by having the photo spoofed or critiqued in a rude or unpleasant manner simply was not a good feeling.

So back to the point you raise. It isn't all about one person. This is a community. A forum. Do not for a moment feel that because you are right or you think you are right, you are allowed to shoot your mouth off, be rude, brash, tactless or high-handed.

Jeanie, i hope you get my point and what I am trying to bring across.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.