Canon 50mm F1.2L vs F1.4

Is it worth it?

Results are only viewable after voting.

eggie87 said:
This is a old model..not the L series.

Ok. Tks. Watz d diff may I ask?

Thoth said:
Ok. Tks. Watz d diff may I ask?

Hmm the l series lens is much tougher built optics would be better..and as for all l lens it has "red ring "around the lens

eggie87 said:
Hmm the l series lens is much tougher built optics would be better..and as for all l lens it has "red ring "around the lens

Oic. Tks. Then gotta search for d L lens.

If u want to see n compare Canon s lenses go to their website..they will show u the details=)

Ok... great... appreciate much...

Yup, imo the real difference between 50L and 50 f1.4 is the BOKEH~

Secondary factors are the AF issues and other things like build quality, etc.

Don't forget color fidelity, something often not mentioned.
The coatings on the 50L allow it to reproduce beautiful colors.

I've had/used all 3 50mm lenses at one time or another.

f1.8 you need to stop down to f2.8 for it to be reasonably sharp.
f1.4 is fine, but a very old design, which they should update.
f1.2 is the real gem. Only with this lens you get bokeh similar to the 85L.

Some usually ask why they should spend so much on a lens?
Well, if you want this kind of bokeh, or actually the ability to nicely isolate your subject from the background/foreground, there isn't an alternative.
So don't expect to produce this quality of bokeh with a f1.4, when the lens cannot produce it.

Don't forget color fidelity, something often not mentioned.
The coatings on the 50L allow it to reproduce beautiful colors.

I've had/used all 3 50mm lenses at one time or another.

f1.8 you need to stop down to f2.8 for it to be reasonably sharp.
f1.4 is fine, but a very old design, which they should update.
f1.2 is the real gem. Only with this lens you get bokeh similar to the 85L.

Some usually ask why they should spend so much on a lens?
Well, if you want this kind of bokeh, or actually the ability to nicely isolate your subject from the background/foreground, there isn't an alternative.
So don't expect to produce this quality of bokeh with a f1.4, when the lens cannot produce it.

Sorry to OT but my Contax Zeiss 50-1.7 does the same thing in terms of subject isolation (3D pop) and creamy bokeh...

Good for you.

Tks... m really surprised such a cheap lens can produce such quality of photos... Definitely one of the lenses I will keep for a long long time...

Thoth said:
Tks... m really surprised such a cheap lens can produce such quality of photos... Definitely one of the lenses I will keep for a long long time...

alot of lens can get good images..but it's much about the build quality too..it's like u can buy an Alfa romeo n it performs well..but after 20 years it starts falling to bits..whereas a merc or bmw us more ex..more sturdy..performs same yet lasts a crap load longer

Seems bokeh quality is subjective... Leica Lux is also known for its awesome bokeh and sharpness if it's a ASPH copy... as with Crons

Summilux or Noctilux? Leica is well-known for it's superb IQ and 3D-like effect on its pics, but price wise isn't wallet-friendly.

Summilux or Noctilux? Leica is well-known for it's superb IQ and 3D-like effect on its pics, but price wise isn't wallet-friendly.

Seriously speaking, try some Zeiss... give Leica a run for their money but wun break yr bank... In terms wif IQ and 3D like effect and Bokeh... almost on par wif Leica's... If u can make a little more compromise, try Voigtlander's.

Seriously speaking, try some Zeiss... give Leica a run for their money but wun break yr bank... In terms wif IQ and 3D like effect and Bokeh... almost on par wif Leica's... If u can make a little more compromise, try Voigtlander's.

I would not consider Zeiss or Leica because it doesn't have AF.
MF is a different style, if you have time to do everything in manual - this dates back to the film era, which IMO is a step backwards.
The only reason I would consider either brand is if there is something which only either of these lenses can produce which the Canon lens cannot. Those types of lenses usually cost an arm and a leg.

alot of lens can get good images..but it's much about the build quality too..it's like u can buy an Alfa romeo n it performs well..but after 20 years it starts falling to bits..whereas a merc or bmw us more ex..more sturdy..performs same yet lasts a crap load longer
Build quality, Yes no doubt about it.
But whether it can last longer or not.. This really depends...dosent matter what brand you buy or what model you buy. If it fails. It fails. :bsmilie:

I've tried the Zeiss 50 and 80 f/1.4 on my 5D and so far results are really gd. But then, still have to get used to manual lenses.

TWmilkteaTW said:
Build quality, Yes no doubt about it.
But whether it can last longer or not.. This really depends...dosent matter what brand you buy or what model you buy. If it fails. It fails. :bsmilie:

These older Zeiss & Leica lenses are built to lasts. Sorry for the OT again.

Snoweagle said:
I've tried the Zeiss 50 and 80 f/1.4 on my 5D and so far results are really gd. But then, still have to get used to manual lenses.

Glad to hear that. Enjoy d MF journey.