Canon 50mm F1.2L vs F1.4

Is it worth it?

Results are only viewable after voting.

raydio said:
Cathay had it on sale for a really good price last August when I was buying my 5D3. I think the price was as low as $350 or somewhere in that vicinity. I didn't buy because I was already spending so much on the 5D3.

I hope they'll have a similar sale this summer... if so, I just may pick it up.

Woah $350? If you come across it again, can pm me please? Its even cheaper than pre-loves ones!

Just an update. Have upgraded from 6D to 5D Mark III, and the AF of my 50L is now perfect!

Not extremely sharp as my 85L, but similar bokeh and for portrait shots, it is really very sharp now that AF is working very well now.

50mm has always been my preferred focal length, and now my 50L is permanent stuck on my 5DIII. Superb lens!

Because it is complicated to move lens element groups in a small autofocus lens.

Just an update. Have upgraded from 6D to 5D Mark III, and the AF of my 50L is now perfect!

Not extremely sharp as my 85L, but similar bokeh and for portrait shots, it is really very sharp now that AF is working very well now.

50mm has always been my preferred focal length, and now my 50L is permanent stuck on my 5DIII. Superb lens!

Most of the full frame cameras and lenses are manufactured to some minor tolerances, which is why some means of AF micro adjustment is available to correct front/back focus.

A particular lens- body combo gives excellent tack sharp focus while others are not that sharp.

So have you done some AFMA before concluding 6d is less than perfect than 5d3?

I have tried to do AFMA on both bodies to come to this quick conclusion. In fact, I get inconsistent shots with my 85L II as well with 6D, but for 5D III, every shot is accurate in AF.

Perhaps I have a problem 6D set, but have no AF problem with the 24-70L. It seems that both my 50L and 85L are super accurate in AF now with my 5D III. No AFMA needed for both lenses.

Just my own experience. Not a conclusive comparison of the 2 cameras.

Most of the full frame cameras and lenses are manufactured to some minor tolerances, which is why some means of AF micro adjustment is available to correct front/back focus.

A particular lens- body combo gives excellent tack sharp focus while others are not that sharp.

So have you done some AFMA before concluding 6d is less than perfect than 5d3?

Got hold of a 50mm f1.4, tried it out on an entry level 700D... so far love it.