Canon 50mm F1.2L vs F1.4

Is it worth it?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Actually, to me this is a misuse of the big aperture Canon F1.2 L lens. There is nothing wrong with the lens.

It is meant to be used in low light or shade situations. And not shooting in bright light into the sun.
Even so, if one uses a proper lens hood, that should help.

Don't shoot a F1.2L into the sun just to prove that it is prone to flare. What is the point?

I used to own a FD 85 F1.2L. When used to shoot portraits in low light or shaded area, the lens performed very well.
This lens is not meant to shoot into the sun.

• If you only shoot photos in bright light, or in dim light with flash, then no need to buy the 85 F1.2L.
Any 85mm/90mm F1.8 or F2 or even F4 lens will do.

• The Canon 85mm L lens is not about biting sharpness or high contrast "hard" sharpness that makes portrait photos very ugly. This is a wonderfully designed portrait lens. It renders the portrait of the model/subject beautifully in such a smooth tonal way that does not turn you off.

Last edited:
I heard from review that the Canon 50mm F1.4 AF will have problem after some times. Anyone of you facing this problem ?

kelvinlin said:
I heard from review that the Canon 50mm F1.4 AF will have problem after some times. Anyone of you facing this problem ?

That's an old common issue addressed a long time ago.

When I had the 50f1.4, I did not experience any problem. However do note that the build of that lens is not fantastic...that's putting it nicely.
The 50F1.4 was not satisfactory focusing in the dark, so I upgraded to the 50L and never looked back.

That's an old common issue addressed a long time ago.
I believe you mean that issue has been discussed many times before, but it has not been addressed by the manufacturer yet. The 50f1.4 design has not changed, so the issue still exist today.

Kenneth67C said:
I believe you mean that issue has been discussed many times before, but it has not been addressed by the manufacturer yet. The 50f1.4 design has not changed, so the issue still exist today.

Yes i never said by Canon, but actually meant by word of mouth. Canon's confident of their products and I also believe this issue had been feedback to them before.

Had a 50mm F1.2L for a while and tested friend's set as well. At f1.2, both sets seem to have small front focus issue when taking near shots and thus need to use manual focus for sharp shots, eg if focusing on the eye.

My 85L on the other hand, is perfectly in focus and thus more consistent in the shots. Read that 50mm f1.2 does not have the floating elements like those in 85L, thus all will have small front or back focus at f1.2 for near shots.

What's a reasonable price for a 50mm 1.4 currently? Or is the price list in the other forum page (Canon 2012 Price List) still accurate? Thanks!

Cathay Photo $549.

SLRR $562
Click $562

All after GST.

Hmmm... wonder why they have left it out for the EF 50mm F1.2L. It will be a near perfect lens like the 85L if they included the floating element in the 50L.

Because it is complicated to move lens element groups in a small autofocus lens.

could do 2nd hand on CS classifieds at about $400 + -

Used my 50mm f/1.4 today. Used to prefer the 24-70 f/2.8, but looks like I've rekindled my love for prime lenses!

Anyway my main intention is to find out more about the commonly talked about AF failure for the 50 f/1.4 lens.

Roy Pek Jun Jie said:
Managed another quote,

$560 w gst frm MS Color

Latest from John316, lens going at $550! :) I think Artworkfoto's shop set (grey) is also this price online. Hence it may be even lower, now that local sets are cheaper!

Was gog for $499 at MSC last Nov. All dropping px? Is there a MkII version coming out?

Cathay had it on sale for a really good price last August when I was buying my 5D3. I think the price was as low as $350 or somewhere in that vicinity. I didn't buy because I was already spending so much on the 5D3.

I hope they'll have a similar sale this summer... if so, I just may pick it up.