Canon 1000D or Nikon D60

Status
Not open for further replies.
fyi, i got my 450D kit at cp last thrusday @ 1160.
comes with free 8GB SD, battery and bag. ms color quoted 1150 but, you'll hv to collect the freebies from canon...which is at keppel (very far from me).

i tink its a long term investment so get a good one unless you're planning to sell it off.

deepster,
i am using 1000d and i'm loving it. for a noob newbie i think it is the works man.the 450d is about the same..comes DIGIC III and it 9 point AF . 1000d has only 7 point. but should be fine...

i bought my 1000d KIT at C.P for $1030.and i bought a 70-300mm lense for $59 during the promotion.

not try to do promo here coz i dont know these fellas but i heard from a friend who got it M.S Photo at AMK HUB for relatively cheaper.but it helps if you can call them at 4576380.

if u can get it cheaper... i suggest you buy the 50mm 1.8 lense too. they sell it for $110. just a suggestion k

all the best bro...

i see many craze over 500m fixed lens. why ar? what kind of shots is it used for?

i see many craze over 500m fixed lens. why ar? what kind of shots is it used for?

You mean 50mm? it's the cheapest prime lens and a very common portrait focal length, especially on the cropped sensor.

You mean 50mm? it's the cheapest prime lens and a very common portrait focal length, especially on the cropped sensor.

when you say cropped sensor you mean because of the 1.5x crop factor right?
so in actual fact when the lens is attached to a Dx format camera its 75mm, and the common portrait lens is 85mm?

(sorry.. been wanting to get one of these.. but more for night photography...)

so in actual fact when the lens is attached to a Dx format camera its 75mm, and the common portrait lens is 85mm?

Yup, that's pretty much it.

wow..so we need to understand the crop factor when lens hunting?

Did you get the Kit 1 or Kit 2?

kit 1 wor..

Get the 1000D if you wont look at the 450D. Correct me if I'm wrong but I heard the D60 can only handle DX lenses. 1000D on the other hand can handle all Canon lenses both EF and EFS. The Live View is most useful when you want your manual focusing to be more accurate -it can digitally zoom in.

I've used D60 (my school's one) before, I think the 1000D controls are more user friendly. I most welcome the dedicated ISO button and the ISO info in the optical viewfinder.

Cheers.

get nikon instead if u want 1000d, really want canon get the mid range 40d

Hi everyone! happy new year btw.. anyway, planning to get a 1000d or d60 as a birthday present. im new to slr :confused: so i need some advice.. anyone?? thanks:)

Not 1000D, ISO low,
Suggest Canon 450D , 40D
or
Nikon D90

Buy only body(Not with Kit lens), Top up $$$ from the Kit lens of approx $200 and get a better glass.

1000d and 450d iso both at 1600 rite? im a nikon guy, sourcing for canon camera for a fren..

1000D is a camera. in some ways better than the old 400D. A friend of mine who has 60D fell in love with my 400D + 50mm immediately when i lend her my cam.

I played with D60 before, but the lack of cheap lens to go around + the 3 point AF really turned me off. I don't know about the rest of the ppl here, but when I started dslr, my budget was tight and wasn't really concerned about IQ and contrast and so on so the availability of cheap lenses was a huge factor for me.

What spoils the deal for me would be that the 1000D has no spot meter. IMO, its one of the 'must have' features in an SLR. How else can you expose for the subject (or decide on a compromise exposure) in tricky situations?
(of course one can zoom in, for the exposure value, but thats troublesome... )

TS, do take note of this.

Good luck camera hunting :)

What spoils the deal for me would be that the 1000D has no spot meter. IMO, its one of the 'must have' features in an SLR. How else can you expose for the subject (or decide on a compromise exposure) in tricky situations?
(of course one can zoom in, for the exposure value, but thats troublesome... )

TS, do take note of this.

Good luck camera hunting :)

That was one of the main reason I choose my 450D over the 1000D... the lack of a spot metering also turn me off.... :(

I think there is a "partial metering" in the 1000D that is something like a "fat" spot metering..... :)

Instead of the tech considerations of both cameras. In my view as a beginner to DSLR. Go for what feels better. then after the dust has settled down. you can decide on whether its a good way to choose.... AFter all if you were wrong in your choice... so what. Just be determined to use whatever you buy BEFORE buying it.

photography is an art, not just a tech journey, so your feelings on it would affect what u shoot and wat u need to use to shoot with.

Keep in mind, there is no perfect camera either which one you choose to get. Even if its the top end of the range of Canon vs Nikons.

But there is such a thing as a "better suited" camera for you. So the answer is in yourself.

Should your primary consideration be price as its a present tht u are getting from friends, then the cheapst DSLR would do.

Last edited:
Keep in mind, there is no perfect camera either which one you choose to get. Even if its the top end of the range of Canon vs Nikons.

But there is such a thing as a "better suited" camera for you. So the answer is in yourself.

To add.. actually the top end range from Canon & Nikon are not suitable for beginners... they don't have a Auto mode..... :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.